Mayfly Spinner

Cap'n Fishy

Col do you use natural FP feathers or dyed? as your pictures make the fly yellowish or maybe it's just my bad eyes 🙂

FP totally undyed. There is a little yellowish colouration in them, just back from the tips. Also, there is the glow from the Light Cahill body and the thorax dubbing mix. I promise you the white-balance of the photos is OK: 6400K. ;)

Col

Wee Jimmy

The mayfly hatch on my club's lake is sparse and sporadic and the trout seem scared of them usually. Strange as they will take a large daddy-long-legs with gusto! They will take a lot of empty mayfly shucks and I have caught a few on a shuck pattern I devised over the winter. It is tied on a Kamasan B405 which is short shank and lightweight. Just a length of tan or cream polypropylene floss tied as a detached body. Treat with gink or similar and it will float quite well. It is easily shredded by the fish but is simple to tie.
Tight lines!
franticView attachment 29088
Frantic ... I also think a shuck pattern or two is well worth having on standby.There is always a certain percentage of fish which are more focussed/ selective on the most prolific food source available,to a lesser or greater extent.Most of the time our mayfly patterns work just fine but every now and then we will encounter a few which are doing something different,ignoring natural adults as well as our artificial. I’ve picked off few of those guys with shuck patterns. This big crippled midge has worked well . I’ll try tying up a few of yours..👍

Cap'n Fishy

Col do you use natural FP feathers or dyed? as your pictures make the fly yellowish or maybe it's just my bad eyes 🙂
Another thing - make sure your monitor is not set to too warm a white balance - it could make white things appear yellow - and it will basically make all colours wrong! My monitor is calibrated by a colorimeter every month, so I know it is giving accurate colours.

Col

Cap'n Fishy

Frantic ... I also think a shuck pattern or two is well worth having on standby.There is always a certain percentage of fish which are more focussed/ selective on the most prolific food source available,to a lesser or greater extent.Most of the time our mayfly patterns work just fine but every now and then we will encounter a few which are doing something different,ignoring natural adults as well as our artificial. I’ve picked off few of those guys with shuck patterns. This big crippled midge has worked well . I’ll try tying up a few of yours..👍
Yeh - I certainly had a bit of the swimming past my fly thing on a recent club outing. I will need to experiment more with shuck patterns - a job for next year, realistically now...

The problem for me is I have become addicted to that spinner 😜 ... and I need my dropper fly to be something that I can see as a sighter for the long-range jobs... hence me using Wulffs and Found Links and the likes...

Col

franticfisherman

That's more flies to tie over the winter guys! Taking a look at the real thing, I think my shuck pattern could be improved by adding a few markings with a brown felt-tip pen. Thanks for the photos, much better than mine!
frantic

dave b

Col thanks for sharing, absolutely superb detail and an excellent pattern to add to the collection as a must have. I'll be tying some of these as soon as I can get some spanex. I can also see the same pattern working for March Browns

Cap'n Fishy

Col thanks for sharing, absolutely superb detail and an excellent pattern to add to the collection as a must have. I'll be tying some of these as soon as I can get some spanex. I can also see the same pattern working for March Browns
For sure - it's a technique that can be applied to any spinner, by modifying the materials and size.

Col