Members profiles .

Cap'n Fishy

I think what Noel means is the fact that a while ago you had to put a general location down when creating a profile. Now you don't. I have seen an increasing trend of new members who show no general location. I agree, it is nice when reading someone's posts, to be able to tell where in the UK or world they are from. It can sometimes explain a lot. I also agree that it may lend itself to meeting forum members or the acts of kindness Noel refers to.
I agree - it's a PITA the number of times someone asks for help or advice, and the accuracy of what you tell them is highly dependent on roughly where in the blummin' world they are... and they have not had the common decency to put anything in for their location. I mean - we don't need the house number and the street - just a flippin' rough idea... Southern England? Northern Ireland? Western Samoa??? 🤪 Give us a clue mate!

Last edited:

lee71

I put my location on straight away but have messed about with it a bit putting things like 'on Mars' for my location, another forum I frequent everyone has their area visible and it does help to know if they are local'ish especially if you are buying something, then again the forum I speak of does have a lot of things for sale that your not allowed to post so pick up is the only option and it also has a hell of a lot of sales traffic.

myriad

Administrator
Staff member
Thats great Lee71 if its a sales forum,this isnt, its a fishing forum to discuss fishing and other things and sales are a perk for members.If a member just joins to sell items then its not really for that, as we do insist members do take part in discussions also and if they are just selling then we will discuss this with them.
You buy or sell an item then its discussed by Pm and then you will find where they are and its between buyer and seller if the sale goes ahead.

thetrouttickler

Buying and selling is a separate issue. You'll still have to engage in private messaging to exchange details. I really don't see the issue with classifieds being closed to comments.

noel

Buying and selling is a separate issue. You'll still have to engage in private messaging to exchange details. I really don't see the issue with classifieds being closed to comments.
That is one of my points about Insufficient privileges as soon as the word wanted is mentioned the forum assumes people will offer to sell instead of a general pointing in a direction of a shop .

myriad

Administrator
Staff member
That is one of my points about Insufficient privileges as soon as the word wanted is mentioned the forum assumes people will offer to sell instead of a general pointing in a direction of a shop .
I can only point you to the many posts discussed over this and it explains the many reasons why we have it like this
.How many posts do or did you see with pm me if interested or pm sent???? so why is it a problem.For a new member it is 1 post nearer their 100 posts.
Noel you have been here a long time and you have never seen a post where someone has wanted and posts,followed by people offering to sell to them.There has been plenty.

Paul_B

I'm a mod on another type of forum and we say it can help if you give a clue to you general area, its not compulsory and to never give a post code or anything that can pinpoint you, but if you need assistance it can be favourable, however it can helpful but it can attract numpties so take care (not in those words) and ask for guidance before assistance and ask for those who are recommended by many.

If I wanted assistance in local fishing venues it would be in my profile as to where I am, but it doesn't take much doing adding into the post what area you want to fish, or where you need assistance.

It doesn't take much doing in finding a persons location by their posts, so do take care and don't make it easy for those with ulterior motives.

hooferinsane

Whereabouts can you add the location and perhaps other info. I thought it would be under: members name> about. All I get in there is trophy points accrued. Perhaps it may be I am only mobile at present, and you need to be on PC, or can you only add things once you have reached a certain amount of messages?

Paul_B

Whereabouts can you add the location and perhaps other info. I thought it would be under: members name> about. All I get in there is trophy points accrued. Perhaps it may be I am only mobile at present, and you need to be on PC, or can you only add things once you have reached a certain amount of messages?
Click on your name at the top of the page, click account details and scroll down, never give you birthday and only give an approximate location, the county etc, everything else can be done by PM and only if you trust them

lee71

Thats great Lee71 if its a sales forum,this isnt, its a fishing forum to discuss fishing and other things and sales are a perk for members.If a member just joins to sell items then its not really for that, as we do insist members do take part in discussions also and if they are just selling then we will discuss this with them.
You buy or sell an item then its discussed by Pm and then you will find where they are and its between buyer and seller if the sale goes ahead.
The other forum isn't a sales forum (although they do have a lot in the sales section) but as I was saying they like you to have an area (ie South Yorks) to give anyone selling or willing to give help/assistance or the like a bit of an idea of your location, I personally don't care if people do it or not but I get Noels idea.
Just saying.

Last edited:

lee71

No problem Noel, it would be easier to say I'll give you a hand with casting or such if people put their area in their profile and you can see it below their avatar, I see a lot of people offering help with stuff or come and have a go with mine before you buy on the other forum as they can see someone lives near them who are asking questions, it's up to folk if they want to share the are they live in though.

lee71

I've sent stuff all over the UK Noel and Ireland to people who are needing something that I don't use, one memorable one was 100 flies I sent to Ireland for a group of school kids that the teacher was learning to fly fish. I received a lovely letter from all the children.👍
You did it with me and I still have that Odyssey .

Last edited:

noel

I took about 6 rods upto Newcastle for a teacher starting a fly fishing group in his school in Ashington never got a message back from the school , saw the Shimano Symetre on Ebay about a year ago along with the Masterline Phd .

lee71

I took about 6 rods upto Newcastle for a teacher starting a fly fishing group in his school in Ashington never got a message back from the school , saw the Shimano Symetre on Ebay about a year ago along with the Masterline Phd .
Not good Noel, some scamming gits about.

Cap'n Fishy

I've now made it a requirement for new members to put a location on their profile. Doesn't mean they'll put the real one of course..
Thanks Kirsty. It is in their best interests to say roughly whereabouts they are. When they ask questions such as what day tickets are available for waters in their area, and they have put in a completely false location, they will get useless answers.

Col