Menteith last Thursday...

Cap'n Fishy

Four seasons in one day! It was 4 C at the start and it didn't get much into double-figures. I had 6 layers on all day. The conditions were never the same for more than 5 minutes. We had sun, rain, hailstones. We had flat calm. We had a breeze from all 4 directions. We had squalls. Needless to say, none of this helped the fishing. We had a couple on washing line and pulling stuff early on. But then we found a good group of fish feeding on hatching buzzers and shucks, down where the pike nets used to be. We tried them with our usual dries and it was as if we didn't have any flies on. Apart from one fish each out of 100 covers, it was a case of: no looks, no refusals... We could tell we just had totally the wrong stuff on. A few changes... still not registering with the fish...

Then I tried a suspender buzzer. Bingo! First fish covered took it sweet as a nut! Jimmy put one on while I was still playing the fish and before I had landed it, he was into a fish. Talk about finding the answer! It was night and day from what had been happening with Klinks and crippled midges and Shipmans and shuttlecocks and the other stuff we were showing them. It just shows you. Shuttlecock... arse hanging down. Suspender... arse hanging down. Not a big difference in the footprint, you would think? But obviously it needed that 99% under the surface profile of the suspender to trigger the fish into seeing it.

Black-susp_8547.jpg

So, we were all set to fill our boots. Except before we were even back in action, a rain cell came over and whipped up a stiff breeze ahead of it and that put every fish down....

We did find a few at Shear Point, late in the day and Jimmy got one to take the suspender. It took him round the back and then took his whole line and 30 yards of backing out. It turned out to be a super-fit 5-pounder.

A few photos...

Menteith29Apr21_9149-HDR.jpg

Menteith29Apr21_9161.jpg

Douglas still hasn't had his post-lockdown haircut...

Menteith29Apr21_9169.jpg

Menteith29Apr21_9175.jpg

Fresh snow on Ben Lomond...

Menteith29Apr21_9185.jpg

First of the day...

Menteith29Apr21_9199.jpg

One of them rain cells coming our way...

Menteith29Apr21_9218-HDR.jpg

One of the resident ospreys took umbrage with a red kite that wandered into his territory...

Menteith29Apr21_9251.jpg

Jimmy is open-mouthed at the amount of line his 5-pounder took off him...

Menteith29Apr21_9274.jpg

It may not look it, but we weighed it in the net and it was a full 5 lb...

Menteith29Apr21_9365.jpg

One last squall coming our way...

Menteith29Apr21_9369-HDR.jpg

Here be dragons...

GPS29Apr21.jpg

Col

Last edited:

esk

Thanks for that. I am there on Wednesday and I've already got my socks, pants, long johns, mittens and hat warming next to the stove!

Euan

bobfly2

We had a Garmin set once give a 600m error for the junction of three boundary dykes on a 1:10,000 OS map. 😶😶😶
We could have gained quite a few acres !!!

Cap'n Fishy

We had a Garmin set once give a 600m error for the junction of three boundary dykes on a 1:10,000 OS map. 😶😶😶
We could have gained quite a few acres !!!

Those traces of mine are just what I get from my camera.

If you access the Exif data of any image, you can get the location. For example...

For this fish...

Menteith29Apr21_9199.jpg

Right-click and choose the Exif data... Then go to the GPS coordinates and click on "Open in street map". Gives you this...

Last edited:

Rhithrogena

Good day, well done, lovely pics as usual. I had the wind from all quarters last couple of trips to Colliford. Wind, calm, hail, sun....
Crazy weather, eh?

Scotty Mitchell

Good day, well done, lovely pics as usual. I had the wind from all quarters last couple of trips to Colliford. Wind, calm, hail, sun....
Crazy weather, eh?
Aye the weather has been pish. I can’t remember an early season I have fished so little. The overnight temps where I fish have been shocking and it’s undoubtedly having an impact on the fish.