Menteith yesterday...

Cap'n Fishy

Posting this in the hope that either of the two guys in the story read it...

Had a 'single angler' day on Menteith yesterday. Waited till last minute to pick my day. Forecast said rain (acceptable for fishing dry mayfly). Reality said sunshine (unacceptable for dries when the water is 21 C).

I gave it my best shot. I caught a perch and had a grip of a couple of roach or dace on the mayfly, but of trout, there were none. Nothing rising, and nothing coming out the blue. No fault of the mayfly - as many as I have seen this year coming off. By 2 p.m. I had not had an offer from a trout.

I was having a second try at Tod Hole by now. I would have had a go twiddling nymphs if I had seen other boats catching, but I hadn't seen a bent rod all day. I was now behind a pair of twiddlers, and lo-and-behold, I watched them catch, 1, 2, 3 fish in front of me. OK, well, I am not a twiddler - it is about my weakest suit... but needs must and all that, and I could see it was going to be my only chance of sport. I re-rigged with a 6 ft midge-tip and three size 12 nymphs on 7 lb G3 fluoro. I put a slightly weighted Blakeston's on the tail to take me down a bit - just because of the absence of any surface action.

Once I was set, I fired up the outboard to go back and come past the point again. I knew from the last few trips that there was a group of fish resident in the Tod Hole area. I could tell from where the other boat had picked up their fish that they came from the hot-spot. That was now behind me. But, as I headed to go back, the other boat had sussed that they were through the fish, so they headed back at the same time. Having been behind them, I was now ahead of them as we headed back. I was careful to swing out wide as I went back, to avoid going through the key area. If they had done the same, they would have been forced to go up behind me, giving me the first shot at the fish. However, they turned out to be a pair of desperados. It was unacceptable to allow me first shot, and so they simply cut inside and motored straight up the drift, so they were sure of getting to the head of it in front of me. When I spotted what they were doing, I had no option but to carry on up the water and come round behind them.

Shot themselves in the foot though, the cnuts!

By motoring through the fish, they pushed them in towards the shore. They also started their new drift a bit further out, giving me a line to come down behind them, inside of their water... which I did. Well, I picked up my first fish about second cast with the new nymph rig. The fish were now nailed to the point of Bogle Knowe. I did have to sub the weighted Blakeston's for a neutral density sussy to keep it up off the bottom in the shallow water. It was a case of catch one or miss a chance, every time I went past the point... and once past the point, forget it, get back round and come past it again. I had 2 and a half hours of continual sport. The other boat never did suss they were out too wide, and eventually they moved away. Hah!

So, my thanks go to the pair of desperados. You totally saved my day! 😜 (y)

GPS12Jul21.jpg

Menteith12Jul21_0657.jpg

A bonus roach!

Menteith12Jul21_0672.jpg

m r roid

What sort of size was it?
It looks 2lb's+ to me. Stunning fish 😍😍

m r roid

I'm in Hampshire and I've never come across Dace in stillwaters here, that's not to say there aren't though.
Dace in our rivers are a 'leveller' - Devilishly hard to catch, the bu88ers are quick πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

len1

Posting this in the hope that either of the two guys in the story read it...

Had a 'single angler' day on Menteith yesterday. Waited till last minute to pick my day. Forecast said rain (acceptable for fishing dry mayfly). Reality said sunshine (unacceptable for dries when the water is 21 C).

I gave it my best shot. I caught a perch and had a grip of a couple of roach or dace on the mayfly, but of trout, there were none. Nothing rising, and nothing coming out the blue. No fault of the mayfly - as many as I have seen this year coming off. By 2 p.m. I had not had an offer from a trout.

I was having a second try at Tod Hole by now. I would have had a go twiddling nymphs if I had seen other boats catching, but I hadn't seen a bent rod all day. I was now behind a pair of twiddlers, and lo-and-behold, I watched them catch, 1, 2, 3 fish in front of me. OK, well, I am not a twiddler - it is about my weakest suit... but needs must and all that, and I could see it was going to be my only chance of sport. I re-rigged with a 6 ft midge-tip and three size 12 nymphs on 7 lb G3 fluoro. I put a slightly weighted Blakeston's on the tail to take me down a bit - just because of the absence of any surface action.

Once I was set, I fired up the outboard to go back and come past the point again. I knew from the last few trips that there was a group of fish resident in the Tod Hole area. I could tell from where the other boat had picked up their fish that they came from the hot-spot. That was now behind me. But, as I headed to go back, the other boat had sussed that they were through the fish, so they headed back at the same time. Having been behind them, I was now ahead of them as we headed back. I was careful to swing out wide as I went back, to avoid going through the key area. If they had done the same, they would have been forced to go up behind me, giving me the first shot at the fish. However, they turned out to be a pair of desperados. It was unacceptable to allow me first shot, and so they simply cut inside and motored straight up the drift, so they were sure of getting to the head of it in front of me. When I spotted what they were doing, I had no option but to carry on up the water and come round behind them.

Shot themselves in the foot though, the cnuts!

By motoring through the fish, they pushed them in towards the shore. They also started their new drift a bit further out, giving me a line to come down behind them, inside of their water... which I did. Well, I picked up my first fish about second cast with the new nymph rig. The fish were now nailed to the point of Bogle Knowe. I did have to sub the weighted Blakeston's for a neutral density sussy to keep it up off the bottom in the shallow water. It was a case of catch one or miss a chance, every time I went past the point... and once past the point, forget it, get back round and come past it again. I had 2 and a half hours of continual sport. The other boat never did suss they were out too wide, and eventually they moved away. Hah!

So, my thanks go to the pair of desperados. You totally saved my day! 😜 (y)

GPS12Jul21.jpg

Menteith12Jul21_0657.jpg

A bonus roach!

Menteith12Jul21_0672.jpg
Will be out Friday evening. Will be sure to give Bogle Knowe a good bash.

bignedkelly

I used to fish regularly from boats but I drifted away from fishing and on my return I prefer now to fish from a float tube.
I do fish an odd day on the boat now but cannot help but notice that the 100yard rule is long gone.
As for slowing down when passing someone - forget it its full pelt all the way.
Crossing someone's drift was a definite no no but now it seems accepted.
The boats appear to be magnetised too - often all packed into one area.

Probably a bit of rose tinted glasses type memories on my part but every time I'm in the boat these days I find myself shaking my head and thinking 'what a *****' at least 2 or 3 times.

Cap'n Fishy

I'm in Hampshire and I've never come across Dace in stillwaters here, that's not to say there aren't though.
Dace in our rivers are a 'leveller' - Devilishly hard to catch, the bu88ers are quick πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

It's the only stillwater I know with dace in it. Seems they were introduced to the River Forth and made their way up the Goodie trib and into Menteith. I've had the occasional one on fly over the years...

The fry are a pest when you are fishing dries, as they have a habit of pulling on the hackle fibres and pulling the fly under. πŸ€ͺ There are big shoals of them going about in some areas just now.

Col

Cap'n Fishy

I used to fish regularly from boats but I drifted away from fishing and on my return I prefer now to fish from a float tube.
I do fish an odd day on the boat now but cannot help but notice that the 100yard rule is long gone.
As for slowing down when passing someone - forget it its full pelt all the way.
Crossing someone's drift was a definite no no but now it seems accepted.
The boats appear to be magnetised too - often all packed into one area.

Probably a bit of rose tinted glasses type memories on my part but every time I'm in the boat these days I find myself shaking my head and thinking 'what a *****' at least 2 or 3 times.

Aye, unfortunately the sort of respectful behaviour we used to have back in the day has long gone out the window in today's times of competitiveness. Folk who used to be taught by their dads and grandads how to behave in a boat are going out with no education at all and then they see others behaving badly and see it as the norm. Remonstrating with these types gets you nowhere and just gets yourself hot under the collar - ends up with you not enjoying your fishing. So, these days, I just treat them as a hazard - like bunkers on a golf course - they are put there to make your game more of a challenge for you. 😜

Col

Latest posts