Meon Springs Fly Fishery, Hampshire

neil_maidment

IMG_2853800x600.jpg

IMG_2856800x600.jpg

carpy10

meon

im new to the sport and found this place quite easy the fish are strong fighting the bailiff/keith is very nice guy the price is a bit steep in my opiniun 29 pound for 2 fish then 7.50 a fish after that.the fish are average 2lb and you will be lucky if u get much better than that i did get 1 at 4lb the other day looking for somewhere new /local any ideas

BrownieBasher

im new to the sport and found this place quite easy the fish are strong fighting the bailiff/keith is very nice guy the price is a bit steep in my opiniun 29 pound for 2 fish then 7.50 a fish after that.the fish are average 2lb and you will be lucky if u get much better than that i did get 1 at 4lb the other day looking for somewhere new /local any ideas

Agree re meon, I've fished it a few times, and had a resident brown out of there at 8lb once, but overall the fish are small and a little overpriced imo. Try Moorhen which is about 15 mins away. a lovely little venue with some decent fish in it. Used to do a C&R ticket too, but not sure if they do so now, as it's under new management.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

verdict attached

noel

How do these places get away with these prices up here we pay £23 for 4 and on some of the reservoirs £18 for 6

AidanCole

South-central England is a very dear place in general for just about everything - sadly, the big overheads need to be met and that is therefore reflected in the prices charged.
Meon Springs is by no means the dearest in the area by a long-shot

noel

Hi AidanCole I mentioned this as someone who's daughter and son in law live in Portchester R.N.,I would love to go fishing when visiting but at those prices forget it. Take care of yourself Noel

carpy10

meon

i have heard about moorhen is it a hard water any info appreciated i have also heard of hazel copse cheap at 15 pounds the day 1 fish then c&r may try that

chub1

i have heard about moorhen is it a hard water any info appreciated i have also heard of hazel copse cheap at 15 pounds the day 1 fish then c&r may try that
Hi Carpy.
Moorhen is ok.Had some very nice fish from there around two years ago.Alas they have now stopped the c/r which is a great shame.
Hazelcopse is small and not 'pretty',however the fishing is usually quite good.Midweek would be a better bet as it does get busy.£15 for one fish and c/r is good and Wilf the owner is honest.Buzzers are a good bet,but in all honesty almost anything will work at some point.Fish are always present close in so target the margins first if you go.

Last edited:

carpy10

hazel copse

went there for a few hrs sunday caught my 1st brownie well chuffed only a 1lber fishing very slow 1 guy who has been fishing there for 20 yrs+ caught a couple and he said it was fishing very hard lovely scenery ha ha ha will go back there as £15 p/day is very good value off to meon this weekend my other half is doing a 2 hr lesson there saturday so if any 1 else is there saturday see you there

chub1

went there for a few hrs sunday caught my 1st brownie well chuffed only a 1lber fishing very slow 1 guy who has been fishing there for 20 yrs+ caught a couple and he said it was fishing very hard lovely scenery ha ha ha will go back there as £15 p/day is very good value off to meon this weekend my other half is doing a 2 hr lesson there saturday so if any 1 else is there saturday see you there

You will find the scenery a tad better there:D
Hazelcopse,for what it is,is good value.

carpy10

meon

the catch and release is open main lake ,the top lake is low in water .the fishing is good went sunday had loads of fish .small buzzer/lime green done the business.

AidanCole

I havn't been to MS for ages either - that said, I do get their weekly newsletter, and it would all appear to be very much open for business as usual. Only closed on Christmas day, otherwise open.

One thing perhaps worthy of note (with the recent weather in mind), is that Meon Springs will most likely be the very last place to freeze-up (if at all), due to it's proximity to the water source - - - snow on the road up there however may very well be another story . . . . . .

Aidan

itukee

Meon

Thanks for the info Carpy. Any more info, ice? fog? tactics?. How is the lane up to the fishery from West Meon?

carpy10

meon

no ice quite foggy lanes are clear my mate fished with small buzzer fishing very it very slow im there friday hopefully