Meon Springs Fly Fishery, Hampshire

offshore1987

Went up there on tues, had an ace day, only m second time fly fishing and got one from under the water and one up on top :thumbs: Very friendly sevice, alittle weed but you could fish around it and the top lake was perfectly clear

One of the staff took the time to help me with my casting and very good tips for free :D A big thank you to all for a perfect day

Daniel

( cant wait to go back )

mannablue

Just spent a week at the Fishery and was very impressed with both the quality of fish on offer and the customer service, impeccable.
The crew there really made the effort to ensure we caught fish and had a good time with advice and tips freely forthcoming, from spots to tackle and everything in between!
Water was clear in all lakes and great effort was being made to clear any weed as it accumulated...worth mentioning around said weed was prolific insect life and prowling fish. ;)
For the catch n keep lakes, a Cats Whisker or Humongous stripped back flat out was a near on certainty...for the CnR lakes a tiny dry fly (I used CdC gnat and klinkehammers) fished static did the job when cast to rising fish.
The biggest fish seemed to hide deep underneath the biggest tree's... ;)

clag

I am going for a cast here later in the week. Does anyone have any recent feedback on how it is fishing, and any news on successful tactics would be appreciated.

Regards

CLaG

DaveM

Last time I fished there you could cast a Blue Flash Damsel anywhere in the bigger pool down the bottom end and catch a fish. Or put on something small and Black like a Black and Peacock for the better fish.
Tight Lines. Hope this helps a little.

Dave

clag

Last time I fished there you could cast a Blue Flash Damsel anywhere in the bigger pool down the bottom end and catch a fish. Or put on something small and Black like a Black and Peacock for the better fish.
Tight Lines. Hope this helps a little.

Dave

Thank you for this. Fish were a bit spooky. However, when wind created a good ripple I decided to give them something different and a small silver invicta muddler did the necessary. Gave a couple to fellow rods and they were soon enjoying some sport.

mike j thomas

Fished here on Monday, started with a small Green Damsel and had no takers, then tried smaller and smaller nymphs but again no takers, about 8 or nine other guys all blanking as well! Plenty of fish showing but not taking.
The guy next to me finally hooked one on a blue flash Damsel so I changed to a large olive wooly worm with a bit of flash in it and started hooking straight away, finished with 3 nice fat Rainbows from 2lb3oz to 3lb 4oz and lost a couple at the bank. The guy next to me also hooked a few and everyone else continued to struggle!
It was my first ever attempt at Stillwater Trout in the UK and the Staff and clients were all very friendly and helpful and the valley is a very pretty place to be at this time of year. The weigh and bag area is a great idea and the lodge is simple but clean and tidy. I will give it another go, the only downside is it is a little bit expensive at 45 quid for 3 Fish.
All the best
Mike

mike j thomas

Went back to Meon Springs just before Christmas, midweek and freezing cold so not many fishermen around! I wore my old Neoprean Boot foot waders so was nice and warm.
The fishing was superb, too good if anything, I had 2 fish on the bank in the first 10 minutes on a Blue Flash Damsel nymph. I did not want more than a few fish so I thought I would experiment a bit and change to a different fly, tied on a size 12 Lavender Nymph and got a 3rd fish straight away.:eek:mg:
I decided to try something a bit different after that so tied on a Yellow Rabbit and stripped it hard and fast along the surface, creating a big "V" wake and the trout had multiple goes at it on every retrieve, one finally managing to actually take it after about the fourth cast.
so less than half an hour of actual fishing for 4 nice fat trout between 2 and a half and 3lb.
The staff here are very friendly and helpful, couldn't ask for more!
All the best.
Mike

mike j thomas

Had an hours fishing at Meon Springs this morning, first two fish to the bank within 10 minutes, including the biggest of the day at 4Lb, both on a Blue Flash Damsel! Changed to a Wooly ****** with a red tag and caught another two smaller fish. Also missed a few takes and had one good fish throw the hook right by the bank as I went to net it.
The place was quite busy for a midweek day and most of the guys seemed to be catching despite the cloudy water, no doubt due to all the recent rain!
The guys who run the place told me they have had a few complaints about the average size of fish so are putting in slightly larger stock. I ended up with fish of 1lb14oz, 2lb12oz, 2lb14oz and 4lb so not too bad!
All the best.
Mike

mike j thomas

Had a fish at Meon Springs on Monday and the fishing was good, slightly harder than usual but I enjoyed it all the more for that. They are having problems with Algae on the surface, the guys dragged the length of the middle lake with a net just after I arrived and removed loads, but it was still a bit of a pain!
On the plus side the water is very clear and I could see the trout following the fly and even see the mouth open on the take! I still managed to miss a few mind! Ended up with 3 on the bank from 2'4" to 3'3", all fat and in good condition and managed to lose a few as well :eek:mg:
There were loads of Hawthorn Flys around, crawling all over me while I fished, but the trout ignored them and all the ones I hooked took small nymphs or Damsel fly patterns.
All in all a good days fishing in a lovely place.
All the best
Mike

Last edited:

mike j thomas

Had an afternoon at Meon Springs on Wednesday, I took a mate who had never fly fished before, so the main aim was to get him casting. By the end of the day he was casting 15m or more fairly well and is keen to go again, so job done!
The middle Lake was very murky, greenish brown and difficult to spot the fish, however by looking carefully you could just make out the darker spot in the water that was a trout, The Blue Flash Damsel was again the right fly and I managed 4 good fish from 2 to 4lb and my mate managed to hook one that he lost fairly quickly.
We moved up to the top Lake and it was crystal clear! Not sure what causes the difference as the two lakes are connected. I managed another nice 3lb fish on a small Green and Black nymph cast to a visible fish and left to sink, the trout spotted it and pounced straight away. After that we had no more action, all in all a very good day out in a lovely spot. You really can't beat the Hampshire Countryside in Summer!
All the best
Mike

grahamlufc

I found the algae and weed disconcerting but had some nice browns on the C&R section

mike j thomas

Took my brother Steve to Meon Springs today, for his first ever go at fly fishing, the lakes are in very good nick and fishing well, Steve managed two fish, 2 and 2 1/2 lb and I managed 4 including the smallest at 1 3/4lb and the largest 5lb 10oz. We both lost a couple and despite the heat and very bright conditions the fish obliged and fought very well, Steve's biggest gave him a really good run for his money and just would not give up!
All except one fish took Buzzers cast to individual fish, but sometimes other fish shot in and grabbed the fly ahead of the targeted fish.
If you are thinking of heading to Meon Springs I'd do it now before it gets very much hotter.
All the best
Mike

mike j thomas

Now the weather is a bit cooler I returned to Meon Springs today with an old Army mate and we had a great days fishing! 9 between us from just under 2lb to just under 8lb! The lakes are very clear making targeting individual fish a bit easier, though of course it also means they can see you! The biggest fish today was moving away from me so I managed a cast from behind that put the bead- head bloodworm fly about two feet in front and slightly right of him and he pounced before it had sank more than six inches, I was very pleased with that!
All in all a great day and a big thank you to the friendly staff (as usual) who suggested a blood worm when we arrived.
All the best
Mike

mike j thomas

I spent Tuesday at Meon Springs, the water is very clear and the fishing was harder than usual, I did manage 4 fish in the end and on a variety of flies and methods, all fish between 2Lb 3oz and 2Lb 10oz but all in good nick, full fins and nice condition.
I took the first fish on a Blue Flash Damsel in the first 10 minutes, then decided to change things and try a buzzer, then a bloodworm, them various small nymph patterns without success.
I moved to the main Lake and got a fish on a black and red mini lure pattern and then another on a Yellow and Amber Northern Spider before a long blank spell, all the while a guy on the opposite bank was catching fish after fish! He was using an Orange Blob stripped fast and I did not have one in my fly box, indeed I had never even seen one before! No problem, the successful angler introduced himself as John and promptly handed me his Orange Blob to try, a very kind gesture indeed. I managed one more on the Blob, then stopped fishing as four is more than enough Trout for me.
All in all a very enjoyable day out, made all the better by Johns kindness.
All the best
Mike

mike j thomas

Fished Meon Springs last week, a few changes to the usual, firstly I managed my first ever Tiger Trout and secondly I fished the Catch and release section, which is now well stocked with some lovely fish. I even managed to catch a Rainbow of about 2lb on a Grey Parachute Adams Dry. All in All a great day out.

Maruta

That's a lovely fish. I went there a couple of weeks back for catch and release. It was hot but I waited around until after 7pm hoping to see some rising fish. Most of the fish were at the top end of the long, thin lake just milling around and totally uninterested in anything I chucked at them. Doubt there were more than 30 fish in there at the time. Water was very weedy, in fact, the top C&R lake was chock full so I didn't even bother fishing that one. Needless to say, I blanked which was gutting but at least I got to practice casting for a few hours (I always try to take a positive away from lousy situations haha)
Being quite a small venue I suspect it picks up more in the cooler weather. I might go again later in the year, it's an hour's drive so, add a tenner for fuel on top of ticket price...

Latest posts