Methane...?

ohanzee

There is also the methane hydrates in the deep (and not so deep) ocean that might also be released by warming seas. That might not help either.

Andy

This is the real problem according to the experts, the knock on effects create a destabilisation, then you get a rapid acceleration of our demise, a one percent rise in warming = more forest fires = more Co2 and pollution = acceleration of....sort of thing.

Was all this not in the bible?:oops:

Hardrar

This is the real problem according to the experts, the knock on effects create a destabilisation, then you get a rapid acceleration of our demise, a one percent rise in warming = more forest fires = more Co2 and pollution = acceleration of....sort of thing.

Was all this not in the bible?:oops:
It’s all happened before, it’s in the book of Enoch, old Sumerian Cuneiform text and hidden in the bible.
We just take climate stability for granted, a bit like the people who built houses on an active volcano in La Palma, we know it’s going to go “ bang” one day, but we carry on anyway, along a path of self destruction.

PaulF1

We pass directly through the Taurid stream in 2032 so I wouldn't worry too much about the little stuff like mega volcanoes and pollution. (y)
I think last time might have been the Younger dryas extinction event? I'm sure someone will put me right .:unsure:

What next ? All these people saying dont do this, dont eat that, gluing themselves to roads and then away back to their big houses and plenty of money while the working man and woman are forced to find money for their satisfaction like talking fire alarms,heat systems,electric cars.
I only have electric and a log burner whichh is great when electric goes off,mainly in winter and I wont be getting rid of soon.
You can see how people take this serious when you look at grass verges full of maccie d bags and rubbish,coffee cups all over the place and an added extra to the mobile phone for the other hand.The west reduces emissions while the east just carrys on as normal and expect us to pay for it.We buy from china and india and dont think nothing of it,while idiots glue themselves to roads and moan and upset others who need to work to pay for the family and taxes while they who are glued up dont have that worry.rant over.

Cap'n Fishy

I'm a big fan of renewable energy, defended wind farms when they were considered a blight on our countryside etc, but I am realistic about what it can and can't do, and where it can do it, one thing electricity can't do in the UK is heat homes that are not at least close to passive insulated.
85% in the UK currently rely on gas for heating, to switch to electricity they would either need to rebuild their house or pay 20+ times their current heating bill.

I don't see any radical solutions in the pipeline there, and people like 'Insulate Britain' are regarded as nutters so I see no change in attitude toward insulation either.

It is going to have to happen.

Cap'n Fishy

Other options...

The French seem to be happy to go down the nuclear path. They get 70% of their power from nuclear. UK is 20%. I guess it depends on which side of the "is it safe?" question you lie...

Hydrogen. It's clean - well 'green' hydrogen is, anyway. Hydrogen fuel cells powering all our cars? Dunno how practical it would be to move from fossil methane to hydrogen in homes, etc?

Then there is the long-awaited nuclear fusion...

Might yet be our saviour?

pisces feram

Banned
Banned
You can see how people take this serious when you look at grass verges full of maccie d bags and rubbish,coffee cups all over the place and an added extra to the mobile phone for the other hand.
I had a walk in our local country park today empty plastic water bottles everywhere. My generation drink water from a device called a "tap", we don't buy bottled water so I have to assume all or at least most of that litter came from the "concerned", eco-friendly, environmentally aware youngsters we keep hearing about.

raphael

One shall not forget that renewable and/or nuclear electricity is just a small share of our global energy consumption which is mostly supported by fossil fuels and mostly is dedicated to transports and industrial processes.
Any of our daily actions is at the end of a sum of industrial processes which are energy dependent... A human is able to deliver about a few tenths of kWh per day with his hands and in just a liter of oil there are 10kWh!!! The engine using that oil/energy for our comfort, is able to do it for free with an efficiency several hundreds times the one of a worker.
Well all that is about the bad habits we started to get from the end of XIX century till now, looking for an easier life after millenniums of difficulties... Technology, able to transform and use energy without fatigue, is what made us more or less gifted (depending where you're leaving on this planet, we are not all equals...). This is our spending power, which is moreover hostage of the greedy ones covering and ruling this planet.
Now we are in front of the result of what we did, and to some extent that was expected as the alarm was raised some decades ago yet.
It's not all about CO2, but CO2 is a major issue as well as a marker of the result of our unatural activities. Methane is an issue, ammonia is another one, as all pollution in fact which is born from human activities and that cannot be turned over without long and difficult processes (natural or not)... Now how to deal with that? Who will be able and courageous enough to accept the slow down? Or to decide it?

R

Last edited:

Hardrar

We do an awful lot of unnecessary travel and process and package food far more than is ever necessary.
Palm oil, one of the biggest cause of rainforest deforestation, is now in 50% of all the food we eat in the U.K. , not to mention cosmetics, imported from the other side of the planet and recently found to be a carcinogen!

Cap'n Fishy

Hardrar

I’m I sure I’ve read that methane is around 20 times more harmful to the environment than CO2.
It’s about 28-30 times, but it’s unstable, unlike Co2 and dissipates, Nitrous Oxide is the worst at 300 times more potent than Co2 and can be released from sinks in coastal and marshland areas if exposed to Nitrate and phosphate, which is happening at an accelerated rate at present, it is thought to be more of an issue than Co2