Micro skagit head

scottratt

Has anyone used these micro skagit shooting heads from post.

Is it possible to make your own by maybe using a couple of line sizes up

fredaevans

'Skagit heads' were a Pacific Northwest 'invention' many years ago and the first is attributed to a fellow by the name of Ed Ward. Point of a Skagit is its a short/blunt (little, if any, front taper) to chuck large wind resistant flies.

Heads can be as short as 5 foot up to (I've seen but not used) 30'ish. IMHO that length defeats the whole purpose of the line. Gentle presentation is not one of their strong suits of cloths. As to a "couple of line sizes up" that would work for a one hander rod. Would these work on a one hander? Probably if you were casting in 'tight quarter's.'

fae

Edit: Skagits are almost impossible to roll cast.:eek:hno:

Last edited:

richardgw

Yes. Tried a 250 grain/11ft Rio Skagit trout on my 9ft 7 weight Orvis using the 15ft tips from a Guideline Switch Multi Tip. It spey cast very well particularly with mono running line. However, it was nowhere near as versatile or as nice to fish with as the Guideline Switch Multi tip which I can overhead or spey cast as required with no annoying loop to loop connection between the head and the running line.

One point though is that the largest fly I have used on the set up is a head weighted Woolley Bu*ger dressed on a size 8 single hook or a small ½ inch copper tube which are no problem for the Guideline Switch Multi tip/9ft rod set up.

Latest posts