Midge tip line recommendations

fatfifer

Hi there. I have a Wychwood connect little dipper (5' midge tip line). I used it yesterday for the first time in about three months and it was horribly coily. It had been ok the last time I'd used it, although not perfectly straight. I know that there are things I can do to straighten it but I was just looking for recommendations for a replacement as it's not new and anyway it's nearly Christmas. It would be used on a Grey's GRX 7/8# rod for small stillwaters.TIA

bibio1st

Yesterday was a pretty cold day and that could have been half the problem, a midgetip line I have takes 30 mins or so before it feels right.

Steve

noel

I have been searching for a 5wt midge tip and inter they are becoming hard to find .

noel

John Norris used to do their own for £14.99 but these have vanished from the website .

Returning Dave

Hi there. I have a Wychwood connect little dipper (5' midge tip line). I used it yesterday for the first time in about three months and it was horribly coily. It had been ok the last time I'd used it, although not perfectly straight. I know that there are things I can do to straighten it but I was just looking for recommendations for a replacement as it's not new and anyway it's nearly Christmas. It would be used on a Grey's GRX 7/8# rod for small stillwaters.TIA
Not had a problem with my Wychwood little dipper, great line.

fatfifer

@Returning Dave I agree it is a great line and it lay reasonably straight on the water when I first got it and used it in spring 2019. However it didn't get used much in 2020, was ok(ish) earlier this year, not used for months and now is very coiled. I have soaked it in warm water and stretched it and it's a bit better. This is the second one of these - the first one had the same problem. I have quite a few other lines: floating in 5#,6#,8#, inter in 5# and 8# and a 12' sinktip and they all lie straight on the water. I haven't done anything different with the little dipper so a bit puzzled. Really I was just wanting to know if there is a reasonably priced alternative out there. The Courtland Ghost tip is a lovely thing but a bit too expensive for a line that I don't use all the time.
Thanks for all the comments and advice so far.

pentlandflyman

I would stick with the Wychwood line, it was baltic and the line hadn't been used for a while so it wasn't going to be lying straight, few lines would imo! If you gave it a run through your hands a few times to get some stretch and heat into it then i'm guessing it would have been perfect. If you are defo wanting a new line the Snowbee is excellent ;-)

Latest posts