Midlands Reservoirs

Rob Edmunds

I've been out a fair bit over the last 3 weeks on Rutland, Grafham, Pitsford, Ravensthope and Draycote.

It's been a simular story on all the waters. ( except Rutland where the fish are mostly 5 to 30m out in 8 to 10ft of water)

The water clarity is around 12 to 15ft everywhere so very clear, as such the fish have moved out of the shallows ( except early morning and late evening)

During the day they are generally 30 to 80m out in 20 to 25ft of water.

At the start of the day they don't really want to feed naturally and with the overnight frosts almost nightly they have been holding deep, say 15 to 18ft. So forget the buzzers and stick the lures on ( boobies, hummungus's etc. ) and make them take.

However from about 13:00 hours once its warmed up the buzzers are working really well, the fish also come right up in the water to around 5 to 8ft. So the "washing line" method on a slow or fast intermediate is about perfect

There are some cracking fish about about in the 3 to 5lb class, and some much bigger ones in the 6 to 8lb range.

So far the start of the season has been excellent for me hope everyone else is getting out and amongst the fish.

Best wishes Rob..

Hope you enjoy the photos, from a selection of waters this past 2 weeks( Ps the Perch was nearly 4lb and caught by my mate Steve Carew from Draycote on Friday)
image.jpg

Last edited:

Brennan

Hello Rob,
Looks like you had a great start to the season.

I also wanted to say thank you for the information you shared with me a few weeks back as it's really helped my fishing. Here's a few specifics;
1. Notes on Grafham throughout the season - This helped me find some good spots on the north shore that have been fishing well in the N/NE winds. Buzzer hatches on some afternoons have been magnificent.
2. Strike HARD! - Usually I would put lost fish down to bad luck. However, on some days I was losing just as many fish as I was landing. It wasn't until I read your notes through again that I started experimenting with the takes I was getting and lost fish has gone from about 40% to less than 20%. On the the small still waters I normally fish, lifting into a take was enough but these reservoir fish are different.
3. Leader material - Usually copolymer would be my first choice for all fishing and that's how I started this season. 8lb or 10lb BS with at least 2 droppers. After a few breaks and one big (big!) fish lost due to a double hookup I started experimenting more with the fluoro. Now I get less tangles and those tangles I do get are easier to sort, meaning more time fishing. I still use copolymer when the conditions dictate but I also use fluoro now too.

I've got the Anglian water season ticket which means I get out more often but for shorter sessions. Some of the sunsets on Grafham have been stunning. Pics to follow.

Cheers,
Steven

Rob Edmunds

I don't do the lottery 🤦‍♂️.

I consider myself very very lucky, my wife and son are both absolutely mad keen anglers so it's a family day out for us and I can spend as much time as I want fishing.

Usually that's 2 days a week and a couple of evenings, unless one of us is practicing for a match.

Holidays again are mostly about fishing, this year we have 2 weeks in Wales fishing Clywedog, Brenig and the Dee 11 days fishing out of 14 👌.

Had I a normal wife/son a couple of days would be my limit.

The Barbless Crook.

Rob, did your wife fish before you married or was it some thing the happened after?. Up here on Brenig there used to be a few husband and wife teams. I see Hywel Morgan also fishes with his wife as well.

T.B.C.

Rob Edmunds

My wife had never picked a rod up 7 years ago.

First it was beachcasting on the East coast in November.

Then course fishing the following spring, before flyfishing a year later.

She absolutely loves all kinds of fishing and fishes twice a week .

No question bonefish and fishing on the Flats is her preference.

Latest posts