Migrants.?

3lbgrayling

This is normally a great time for me as as a birdwatcher as the summer migrants flood in. but as lockdown continues,I am limited to what appears in my windows ( Those that know me know that I have lost a great tree) but the upside is i'm seeng more Raptors.. but I can still see the top of a tree 1 house down.and today saw my 1s chiffchaff

Jim.

Fishtales

I haven't seen my yearly Chiffchaff visitor this year. The chances are slim as it only stays in the garden for an hour or two. I usually hear it first :)

boorod

The rough grassland/hawthorns,along from me is full of them now, though I thought they were a bit later than usual, calling away, on one of my walks I watched a pair flirting between trees then going into the grass to pick some up, most likely to build their nest, though no sign of any Willow Warblers as yet.

black knight

We moved into a OAP bungalow in November there are larger grounds and 30 year old trees. The wife has fastened feeders everywhere and we are getting a wide variety of large and small birds daily. Some of these birds perch on our roof waiting for their morning food and are not frightened when we top up the feeders. In these difficult times watching the birds feeding is a real pleasure.

speytime

Can anyone help?
In the summer when I'm fishing up north around Invermoriston, Kenmore and Grantown during the night I hear a bird on the wing.
It's has two distinct pee-peeps (pause what sounds like about 20/30 yards covered) then pee-peep again?
I've been told they were oysters catchers but I've listened to oyster catchers on Google and that's not them.
It's a slower tempo, and richer sounding than in the link and only two distinct peep-peeps.
Any suggestions?
I should add its the only bird I hear regularly through the night.

Thanks Al

scobo

My wife attempted to make some muffins the other day, they were truly awful.
I chopped them up and put them in a bird feeder but even the birds haven't touched them. :LOL:

willie_r

I've got a bird feeder here. Blue tits, coal tits, lots of sparrows, too many magpies & woodpigeons, starlings, robins and blackbirds. Did have a fleeting visit from a long-tailed tit, but we don't really get anything unusual.

benisa

No good with bird feeders here as its a free for all when the local family of squirrel turn up

boorod

Can anyone help?
In the summer when I'm fishing up north around Invermoriston, Kenmore and Grantown during the night I hear a bird on the wing.
It's has two distinct pee-peeps (pause what sounds like about 20/30 yards covered) then pee-peep again?
I've been told they were oysters catchers but I've listened to oyster catchers on Google and that's not them.
It's a slower tempo, and richer sounding than in the link and only two distinct peep-peeps.
Any suggestions?
I should add its the only bird I hear regularly through the night.

Thanks Al
could'nt say for sure Al without actually hearing it, but would defo say it will be some sort of plover, Sandpiper, Golden plover, Ringed Plover, the list is endless. :unsure:

Riffler

Had chiff chaff s while back and my first swallow two days ago.
I feel sorry for the early arrivers, all that way and the country is like a fridge today, so insect life will be hard to come by

4wings

Surprising number of birds around at about 3:55 am along with the usual Gulls, Crows and Rooks off to breakfast. The two Jays are being continually run off by the three Magpies.
We must be like an oasis between the Chew Valley and Avon Valley, lots of birds drop in for food and water not bad for a small semi-garden

Latest posts