Missing Salmon Project – update 2

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
.have a look at the STCUK accounts.
OK.
On your advice, I just did.
Extract from most recent published accounts.

The number of employees whose employee benefits (excluding employer pension costs) exceeded £60,000 was:
2018 2017 £70,001 -£80,000 1
Pension costs relating to this employee were £5,826 (2017:£5,826).

As before, you are blowing your own bull dust.

Regards
Bert

loxie

OK.
On your advice, I just did.
Extract from most recent published accounts.

The number of employees whose employee benefits (excluding employer pension costs) exceeded £60,000 was:
2018 2017 £70,001 -£80,000 1
Pension costs relating to this employee were £5,826 (2017:£5,826).

As before, you are blowing your own bull dust.

Regards
Bert
Try 2020 and add expenses and employers NI. About £110,000 in total.

If you wish to be rude, at least make some effort to be accurate.

Laxdale

I think salmon as a species are just fine. They are certainly not endangered or even threatened. The issue is that some river systems are heavily impacted by human activity and in these rivers salmon numbers are not plentiful enough to provide good angling. The salmon conservation sector relies on donations to fund their organisations: up to 80% of money raised is spent on staff renumeration and office costs. Without sending out messages of doom and gloom to anglers they will never raise the money to pay the 6 figure salaries earned by some of the chief executives. Thus we have been fed a diet of bulldust about how if we don't act now (donate) we will be unable to save our salmon ( pay our inflated salaries).

Some of this years grilse runs are little short of biblical and it probably should be remembered that the all time record Scottish rod catch was only 10'years ago. There are serious threats to many rivers, particularly in England, but they are nothing to do with the deep ocean.
I think it is fair to say that grilse/salmon runs are relatively good all around the NE Atlantic rivers this season. It is also fair to say that it is unlikely that all regions around the NE Atlantic had optimum smolt migration conditions, in both fresh water and salt water, in 2019. Whatever happened at sea in the second half of 2019 and earlier this year has led to far more salmon surviving that the recent norm. Where this leaves the MSP and its relevance, I do not know.....
You are correct about the grilse runs, and they are still arriving off the coast here in copious quantities.

loxie

How do you know the final figures for 2020 Loxie?
You got some sort of wonderful crystal bull dust ball?

Not being rude, just factual.

regards
Bert
No you are being rude, but that's fine. I'm pleased you don't dispute the premis though. I meant the 2020 accounts, surprised you couldn't work it out. 80k plus 13.9%, 6 k pension and c. 15k expenses. Certainly a 6 figure renumeration cost where I'm standing.

Of course your attempt to divert doesn't change the fact that a very large proportion of all net monies raised by the SCS is spent on staff and office costs: far far more than is spent on any practical conservation work and without donations these jobs don't exist.

loxie

I think it is fair to say that grilse/salmon runs are relatively good all around the NE Atlantic rivers this season. It is also fair to say that it is unlikely that all regions around the NE Atlantic had optimum smolt migration conditions, in both fresh water and salt water, in 2019. Whatever happened at sea in the second half of 2019 and earlier this year has led to far more salmon surviving that the recent norm. Where this leaves the MSP and its relevance, I do not know.....
You are correct about the grilse runs, and they are still arriving off the coast here in copious quantities.

Who knows? It might just be feeding is so good many more fish are maturing early, it could be that it was a cold winter in the north and smolts went to sea later. I don't think it's universal if what I hear from Iceland is true!

Secret Angler

No you are being rude, but that's fine. I'm pleased you don't dispute the premis though. I meant the 2020 accounts, surprised you couldn't work it out. 80k plus 13.9%, 6 k pension and c. 15k expenses. Certainly a 6 figure renumeration cost where I'm standing.

Of course your attempt to divert doesn't change the fact that a very large proportion of all net monies raised by the SCS is spent on staff and office costs: far far more than is spent on any practical conservation work and without donations these jobs don't exist.
You expect people to work for nothing? Do you? Aenoon was correct: there are no conservationists on 6-figure salaries. Counting on costs doesn't change that. Fiddling with numbers undermines your point further.

loxie

You expect people to work for nothing? Do you? Aenoon was correct: there are no conservationists on 6-figure salaries. Counting on costs doesn't change that. Fiddling with numbers undermines your point further.
If you want me to engage with you answer my question and show me credible evidence to support a step change in S:A. As you cannot do that, because none exists because there is no such step change then please stop trying to get involved in a discussion you have no knowledge about.

williegunn

I get the impression that the smoke and mirrors effects are fading.

After discussion and detailed consideration of the tactical approach, the Missing Salmon Alliance has decided to pursue an advocacy course by engaging with the Scottish government with respect to future regulation of the aquaculture sector. Salmon and Trout Conservation (S&TC) has decided to withdraw from the Alliance to pursue an alternative approach.

One gets a sniff of more funding and one wishes to protect the salmon, perhaps.

Laxdale

I get the impression that the smoke and mirrors effects are fading.

After discussion and detailed consideration of the tactical approach, the Missing Salmon Alliance has decided to pursue an advocacy course by engaging with the Scottish government with respect to future regulation of the aquaculture sector. Salmon and Trout Conservation (S&TC) has decided to withdraw from the Alliance to pursue an alternative approach.

One gets a sniff of more funding and one wishes to protect the salmon, perhaps.
But which one is which?

aenoon

But which one is which?
Dunno, but the very next paragraph in the report reads thus:-

"S&TC will therefore now campaign, outside the Alliance, for effective regulation of salmon farming to be introduced in accordance with the recommendations of the two Parliamentary Committees, and to include the key principles that S&TC has identified."

Is that not the same thing as stated by the Alliance?
seems a bit odd!
regards
Bert

williegunn

Dunno, but the very next paragraph in the report reads thus:-

"S&TC will therefore now campaign, outside the Alliance, for effective regulation of salmon farming to be introduced in accordance with the recommendations of the two Parliamentary Committees, and to include the key principles that S&TC has identified."

Is that not the same thing as stated by the Alliance?
seems a bit odd!
regards
Bert
I think if you are accepting money from the Government it is hard(er) to criticise them.
I think the S&TC are taking the correct action.

aenoon

I think if you are accepting money from the Government it is hard(er) to criticise them.
No doubt they are, but for them to say they are withdrawing from the Alliance and intend to follow an approach similar to Alliances stated approach, seems somewhat odd. Government will be unlikely to lend an ear to several groups singing same song.
regards
Bert

Laxdale

What we have now is, one group of campaigners demanding the removal of aquaculture from the seas, and damn the economic consequences. And another group looking to find a way ahead recognising that aquaculture is going nowhere anytime soon.

aenoon

What we have now is, one group of campaigners demanding the removal of aquaculture from the seas, and damn the economic consequences. And another group looking to find a way ahead recognising that aquaculture is going nowhere anytime soon.
Think my eggs would be in the latters basket, which again, makes it a strange decision by S&TC.
Could be a massive missed opportunity.
regards
Bert