Monnow Social 2020

PaulD

Interesting post from Patrick on the Monnow Rivers Association Facebook page, the Monnow is experiencing its second 14ft spate of the winter! Patrick suggests that we might notice some differences in the river. My concern is that our campsite might still be under water . . . based on past performance in camping skills, probably a good thing that ACW isn't joining us this year!

boisker

Interesting post from Patrick on the Monnow Rivers Association Facebook page, the Monnow is experiencing its second 14ft spate of the winter! Patrick suggests that we might notice some differences in the river. My concern is that our campsite might still be under water . . . based on past performance in camping skills, probably a good thing that ACW isn't joining us this year!
I might throw a dinghy on the back of the car, just in case I need something to sleep in😂😂

joking aside it must be pretty brutal up there for some, there’s a photo of a cottage in Pontrilas with the water 2/3 up the front door... having seen the aftermath of the same level of flooding in my aunts house by the a River Ribble years ago you have to feel desperately sorry for them...

mrnotherone

I might throw a dinghy on the back of the car, just in case I need something to sleep in😂😂

joking aside it must be pretty brutal up there for some, there’s a photo of a cottage in Pontrilas with the water 2/3 up the front door... having seen the aftermath of the same level of flooding in my aunts house by the a River Ribble years ago you have to feel desperately sorry for them...
It has been brutal Matt. Take a look at a couple of clips of the Usk in the town I posted on FB - frightening.

iainmortimer

Yes thanks for that. Looking at the river level site, the record of 4.8m on the Usk at Usk Town Bridge was set in Feb 2002, today it hit 5.8!

I hope the salmon redds survive as we need all the par we can get.

Last edited:

MrP

In the process of begging for auction lots I have discovered two more madmen who claim to want to condemn themselves to this process. Both fly fishing internationals, so obviously brains and ability don’t go hand in hand.

Terry Bromwell, making a welcome return
and
Simon Clarke, the brai master

garethl

Pro Member
wasn't it 2008 or 2009? Since then only one has been missed because of the river being in spate (2010?). Lucky really because I would have missed it having just had open heart surgery.
Thanks Paul. 2008 seems to coincide with a few images I have from back then. Lost years worth of old photos the other day. I've managed to restore them, but the timestamps are all over place. Some of the pictures I'm finding from some of the Socials are fantastic!

Attachments

garethl

Pro Member
Here we go. Social number one from way back in 2008 with Social Tent Mk1 before it was wrecked by high winds years later and we had to spend the night drinking bear from the safety of the pub. A few of the 'founding members' can still be found in attendance 12 years later, but sadly one special chap is no longer with us. Where has the time gone?

Attachments