'Mono Rig' for Salmon

Rhithrogena

I fish small Cornish rivers. The beats local to me are totally tree-lined with little safe wading in good water levels. After experimenting with the Mono Rig for trout I want to try casting weighted salmon flies on 15m of 20lb mono on a fly rod and reel with no fly line out of the rod tip. Short range casts will just involve flicking the fly out and releasing coils of mono from my hand. I will also run it past the commitee of the club first but nowhere does it say a flyline must be used.
What are people's views on this?
Much like euro-nymphing some will say it isn't fly fishing. I think it could be a deadly way of presenting a fly in some very tricky spots where no regular fly-cast would work. I am going to experiment with s/h Skagit tips as well.
Does anyone else do anything similar?

Rhithrogena

Conehead Francis comes to mind 👍
Thanks! That kind of thing exactly. Any more suggestions; something in yellow and black, maybe? And a black one?
I use way too many trout flies and am going to have one small box for this salmon caper. I reckon 3 or 4 patterns in a few sizes and tying styles and I'm done.
I am also thinking of trying to have an adjustable weight system - maybe just using split shot for this minor tactic.

MCS68

trying to have an adjustable weight system - maybe just using split shot for this minor tactic.
Try using a drop shot set-up, allows you to keep a tight line in flicking it out and also allows you to vary the height off the bottom you want your fly.

Rhithrogena

Try using a drop shot set-up, allows you to keep a tight line in flicking it out and also allows you to vary the height off the bottom you want your fly.
Thanks!
Sounds good but prone to snagging in my local rivers, I reckon. I have done some drop-shotting with spinning gear for bass and wrasse.
I want to keep the rig balanced to current speeds to allow traditional swings across the lies etc.

Rhithrogena

JW Nymph or weighted woolly b****r. using the induced take method.Heavy Prince Nymph also a good bet.

JP
Yep - I have tied some 'Buggers' on jig hooks with Tungsten bead heads for trout 'streamering' but am sure they will work for Salmon too in appropriate sizes 😉

fruinfisher

For coloured water you want the red francis . They say for clear water you should use a black one , but I’ve done best with an olive version ( tied with a small hot orange hotspot at the tail) . An orange dog nobbler is also worth a shot

Rhithrogena

For coloured water you want the red francis . They say for clear water you should use a black one , but I’ve done best with an olive version ( tied with a small hot orange hotspot at the tail) . An orange dog nobbler is also worth a shot
Thanks for the tips!

Rhithrogena

Sure you are aware but no casting as such.If you hit the rod with these nymphs it could be terminal.

JP
A bit of casting with some of the lighter patterns might occur. Some pools will allow a flick-upstream to water load before casting across. I intend to have a light skagit head on the reel with the mono rig looped on top - it will take a couple of minutes to take off and switch to a casting set-up.
None of my rods are expensive - mostly bomb-proof 80's carbon. I have a 6 1/2 ft 1pce rod in mind for this caper, that was made out of bits of broken rod by Robbie Winram in the 80's. I have had a couple of salmon to about 8lbs on it already 😉

Rhithrogena

If it is tree lined and you can't cast, why not fish a Shrimp/worm if it's allowed.
Spinning and bait are allowed with restrictions as to when etc. I have caught salmon on spinners - I want to catch one on a fly and work out a method to do it 😉

paddy5

I fish one particular hole for sea trout which can only be covered from a down stream ledge, have had great success over the years with an indicator and a bead head black pennel, have no doubt a small tungsten francis on a leader to hand would be dealy in low water especially with residents arc.

Reactions: JCP

Rhithrogena

I fish one particular hole for sea trout which can only be covered from a down stream ledge, have had great success over the years with an indicator and a bead head black pennel, have no doubt a small tungsten francis on a leader to hand would be dealy in low water especially with residents arc.
This is the sort of thing I am thinking of thanks for the input!

rabmax

Thanks!
Sounds good but prone to snagging in my local rivers, I reckon. I have done some drop-shotting with spinning gear for bass and wrasse.
I want to keep the rig balanced to current speeds to allow traditional swings across the lies etc.
What do you mean by snagging .Snagging fish or snagging bottom ?.I find drop shot very effective at hooking Salmon.Not that i really like hooking them on 2 & 3wt rods.Anyway if you are snagging bottom you are likely fishing with too large split shot.Better with a string of small shot than one large shot.Salmon love a pink shrimp i find.

Rhithrogena

What do you mean by snagging .Snagging fish or snagging bottom ?.I find drop shot very effective at hooking Salmon.Not that i really like hooking them on 2 & 3wt rods.Anyway if you are snagging bottom you are likely fishing with too large split shot.Better with a string of small shot than one large shot.Salmon love a pink shrimp i find.
Apologies - I spoke without experience of trying the method! The river most local to me runs over predominantly slate bedrocks, which are full of fissures which trap lures readily, I find. I see now that the benefit of a balanced drop-shot would allow me to avoid snagging, and only lose the shot if I did. I wasn't thinking of using regular nymphing techniques, more a down + across style with swung flies. But you have given me food for thought. I will make up some 'killer bug' style flies on sensible hooks and give it a go! How best to rig this style of drop-shot? Do you use droppers or tie in-line from the bend of the hook? Maybe traditional Palomar knot like for spinning rigs would work?
Thanks again for the input and sorry for being dismissive.
Rich

rabmax

Best to put your nymphs on droppers.Whatever your favourite dropper is .I like fo8 knot droppers.Split shot 6 to 8 inches below your bottom dropper fly.I try to stick to no8/no6 & no4 shot most.Big shot gets stuck more.I fish a few rivers for grayling in Winter in heavy flow & full of tree branches.I still hardly ever lose any flies.When i euronymphed it i lost loads of flies.I have hooked Salmon on various nymphs over the years(even size 18 nymphs)Pink shrimp grayling fly probably best bet though.I imagine squirmy worm flies would work good for Salmon.Never really fish squirmies.Try a variation on the drop shot with an indicator too.Called a bounce nymphing.Cheers

Attachments

• 20200228_162535.jpg
    20200228_162535.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25