Mono vs Thread furled leaders.

pedros

I've used threaded furled leaders for many years, but never mono furled leaders. The idea of using mono came up on another post...
Based on users experiences can anybody provide pro's con's and differences of using mono as opposed to threaded?

Mrtrout

I've used threaded furled leaders for many years, but never mono furled leaders. The idea of using mono came up on another post...
Based on users experiences can anybody provide pro's con's and differences of using mono as opposed to threaded?

Turnover is much the same Pedros, they are stiffer to start with, but do soften with use. A lot of the lads use them more for Stillwater rather than rivers, as they turn over bigger flies.
You can get a bit more spray on lift off than a threaded leader, but this will diminish somewhat once a few wipes with mucilin has been applied.
Thread tends to be more supple than mono, which I prefer for my river fishing.
S.

G

guestrd

I use both , small streams I prefer a furled leader , single dry or a classic upstream nymph , when fishing for grayling on the wider more open water I prefer mono tapered leaders , even when using a Tenkara rod I use 17 foot furled leader for laying the fly and leader on the water , if I want to fish the tenkara by holding the leader off the water I will use a 12 foot mono level line .

I have seen good anglers like Stuart Crofts use a very short furled leader and a short tippet section , likewise I have seen good anglers use mono leaders .

I think its just a matter of which leader you prefer , horses for courses

Mr Notherone

As above, I've taken to using furled leaders for smaller streams and really like them. I've gone back to mono for larger rivers where I may be fishing at a bit more distance. If I'm honest, I think the mono compensates for a little less control when I'm casting further.

bazmailer

I have used furled leaders for about 13 years or so in both thread and nylon. On rivers I use thread leaders for trout and grayling fishing between 3 and 5 feet in length rated from 2 to 5# weight and find the turn over flies well even in a breeze.
For French nymphing or my variation of it I use furled Tenkara leaders of 12 feet or so in length but have these in thread and nylon combined as they are a bitter stiffer and find thread ones wrap round my rod to much.
For sea trout I tend to use 5 ft furled leaders in a braid and nylon mix which has little stretch and again they have that extra stiffness and will turn over large tandem and surface lures, I am however down to my last 2 and shall have to try different ones when they fail.
For salmon I use full nylon furled leaders is 4 or 5 feet which again turn large flies well although in recent years tend not to use large flies for salmon and rarely go larger than 10.
The only time I don't use furled leaders is when I am fishing a fast sinking line and tend just to have a level pice of strong nylon.
bazmailer

linkledger

I have, and use , both types but use the mono, and fluro courtesy of Mr Trout, as midge tips on a floating line.

They turn over nicely and take the leader and flies down as well as a midge tip line. Use the thread leaders for more near surface fishing.

All above based on smallish stillwaters.

Last edited:

JCP

Thread mainly for dries on river and reservoir.Usually river nymph/spiders with braid type.Use mono furlies on majority of my reservoir floating lines.Use American brand Blue Sky in a ''maxima'' green and custom reservoir midge-tip/salmon/sea trout versions from Mr Trout.The difference Pedros comes under the application/fit for purpose mantra.Have been fishing furled leaders since 2006 hence I have a good selection.I have/do used mono furlies on wider stretches of river casting mayflies as an example.Only pros for me where both types of furled leaders are concerned it has never been a trade off between mono or braided just horses for courses.:thumbs:

Best JP

pedros

Thanks all,

I best contact Mr T then. The midge tip use intrigues me as it was based on a post about midge tips that prompted this one.

Latest posts