Montenegro

Alwyn

Great photos - keep them coming.

Are there big trout in those rivers?

madjoni

hi Alwyn
Well,this river,lower Zeta,have more trouts than all rivers here together:D
here lives together brown trout,marbl trout,softmouth trout(endemic line Salmothymus obtysirostris zetensis) and some another nonsalmonides.
But still it is wery dificult to catch even a small one.That depends of hidroelectical plant:(:(:( .....
That is damn dictator:mad::mad:

So Zeta can be big (thats good)

or small

madjoni

Yes mate very good,
a lad could make a fortune over there,
well mate,noone local seems to get that ...our goverment is on blindly roud to EU and they are blaze by EU ...they transcribe EU lows without thinking(even some from Nordian countries like you must keep your car lights on during a day:D).
So they adopted a low for waters too, and one can have the river or piece of river.Now in my opinion,we need(like an knife in our hart:D) some foreign bisnisman who 'll by some river and when we get to take our permits from that fine gentlman than maybe we 'll be appreciative for this wild but ours treasure we have.:(

madjoni

This is one of inhabitants of Lower Zeta, endemic softmouth trout ,Salmothymus obtysirostris zetenzis

madjoni

here lives one more endemic species for this side of Adriatic sea...
marvelous marbl trout

Salmo marmoratus

Theo

Trade Member
Madjoni, you're a one-man marketing agency for Montenegro - and you've clearly hit your target market here ;)

Those rivers are simply stunning, amazing, extraordinary... hang on, I think my thesaurus has just run out...

Can't wait to visit and fish!

Theo

madjoni

Thanks Theo:)
I not posting this only for some ff tourist to come if they like.
My goal is much biger.Do you remember "Black adder" series?Baldrick line " i have a keen plan":D:D:D
Well my "keen" plan is to present this rivers and lakes to eyes of Europa which mouth is full of ekology,invariomental,self sustain progress,natural goods.....(now my thesaurus has just run out:D:D) so that Europa,our next Lord to be,could press more our whiny spineles goverment to do something about it.:cool:
p.s. I allmost become novelist here,one more sentense and :D:D:D

madjoni

We have saying here about Huchen :'huchen is king of salmonides'!!!
Well,if huchen is the King,then marble trout is Tzar of the salmonides on Balkan!:D
Marble trout is ancient pristine predator an she is more stronger than huchen.
Even the small ones like this baby marbl will show the diference beetwen them and the rest of salmonides and every fish in river knows who the boss is....

Theo

Trade Member
Thanks Theo:)
I not posting this only for some ff tourist to come if they like.
My goal is much biger.Do you remember "Black adder" series?Baldrick line " i have a keen plan":D:D:D
Well my "keen" plan is to present this rivers and lakes to eyes of Europa which mouth is full of ekology,invariomental,self sustain progress,natural goods.....(now my thesaurus has just run out:D:D) so that Europa,our next Lord to be,could press more our whiny spineles goverment to do something about it.:cool:
p.s. I allmost become novelist here,one more sentense and :D:D:D
Hi Madjoni - yes, I do remember Blackadder - and I think you've got a very cunning plan ;)

Membership of the EU has its advantages and disadvantages... which we won't go into here except to say that the water quality and biodiversity legislation could just be the best thing that's happened in our lifetimes as fishermen, provided that our countries all bother to enact the EU's directives into national law. The UK's Environment Agency seems to be trying hard to implement the Water Framework Directive, but many other EU countries are apparently lagging far behind.

In the meantime, I'm sure you've noticed that a comparable country where they're not always getting their fisheries management right is Slovenia. I love the place with a passion, but it's getting increasingly bad publicity, and with good reason, for the massive levels of stocking that are taking place to sustain a put-and-take fishery driven largely by visiting tourist anglers from surrounding countries.

As a result, despite my love of that karstic mountainous landscape, I'm not sure when I'll bother fishing there again: if I'm spending my hard-earned cash, I'm looking for a proper wild-fish experience, not a beautiful river filled with stockies (and spinning baits hung up in trees in so-called catch and release sections!)

With my own marketing and conservation hats on, here's what Slovenia should be doing to solve the problem - you could adopt the relevant bits of this too, to preserve your wild Montengrin fisheries for the future rather than have to restore them later:

- stop stocking immediately

- implement near-total catch and release (or US-style slot limits) for all visiting fishermen at least

- use some of the money saved by stopping stocking to subsidise local businesses which might otherwise suffer economically when the put-and-take fishermen stop coming

- use the rest of the money saved to run a European-wide marketing campaign to tell the coming generation of conservation-minded anglers that the country is now catch and release for wild fish only, and driven by a proper conservation ethos

Within 3 to 5 years at most (I reckon) the fishery would be transformed, with healthy, sustainable stocks of wild fish attracting educated forward-thinking C&R focused anglers who won't deplete the resource, and who will bring at least as much benefit to the local economy as the current meat fishermen.

Fantasy? I don't think it needs to be. But are we likely to see it happen?

Theo

Last edited:

madjoni

Hi Theo
I understood you quite well.
Only good thing about EU and us in EU is that some criminals finaly will be put down.Nothing else.
About Slovenia and slovenians..well,I dont like them.They allways pretended to be 'greater catholics than Pope' .They made big bussines with fly fishing and seems to me they become pretty greedy.
We see their mistakes.
For now we have 5 only ff zones.Mrtvica,Tara and 3 on Lim river.
They all are C&R zones.
We have no stocked fish in our rivers,only wild.
Problems?Well,we have that a lot:(:(:(
Fantasy?We love to dream:D;)

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 AM ----------

When's the best time to come?

Does it coincide with the influx of hot Russian women you get over summer? :D:D
hi Steave:)
May-june is generaly the best ones on 'adriatic' rivers and june-july for 'danubian' rivers.
Hot Russian you say?Well,untill 90'is we had a lot of British tourist as well.I dont remember that anyone cold British girls cold ones;)

pago54

I read with great interest what you write.
In Montenegro ,you don't copy the errors of Slovenians.Their ,after the indipendent,had a too rapid evolution and now is all commercial ,this is the globalization.You have the ability to avoid this? i hope ,writer live in an area where there are one on the most high industrial concentrations of the world and i see the effect...
goodbye

madjoni

In Montenegro ,you don't copy the errors of Slovenians..You have the ability to avoid this?
Hi Pago
We 'll try our best.
Me personaly dont belive in C&R like something really good.There is to much harassement and martyring of fish.There is nothing impressive in catching same fish hundred times.But that is object for another thread.

BlueOne

madjoni,

You are absolutely right about C&R. Read also what pago54 wrote. Many waters in Slovenia are in my opinion overstocked commercial jokes for naive or/and undemanding foreigners as well as local anglers. And on top of all that, they put C&R on those pellet pigs...

I used to be a C&R angler and i admit it was a mistake. There was nothing as destructive for slovene waters as modern C&R movement coupled with money. And all that bla bla, poor little fish, if you smack it on its head...b...... Our waters were never as rich and never offered such quality of fishing, as a couple of decades ago, when there was no strict C&R, there was more pollution, but surprise.....fishing was superb. And not for stocked pellet pigs!

Of course all that is masked as "environmentally friendly", "protection of local species" etc.

If you look at that video i posted today, that is a wild water, those are all wild fish. If this fishing club would go down the path of what is currently going on, they would stuff this water with big fish, put a C&R on it and ... and the water would be ruined and there would be a bunch of foreign and local "experts" catching that "wild" fish.

However pago, there are still waters in Slovenia, which are still normal. If you need and advice and if you like fishing for wild fish, knowing that it can also mean you will blank, i will be more than glad to help. There are many slovene anglers who do not like, what is going on and who have stopped fishing in those waters. But many still do.

I really do hope Montenegro shall be able to avoid such stuff.

Regards,

BlueOne

nymphist

Interesting stuff. I am planning to visit Slovenia end of June, maybe Soca and Idrijca. Introduced rainbows really make me feel like visiting Disneyland for flyfishers instead of hunting for wild fish. I read somewhere that some of these rainbows are spawning in Slovenian rivers which I have hard time to believe. These fish are good fighters, and maybe this is the reason some anglers are attracted.

My home trout streams are even in worse shape than those in Montenegro - we dont have C&R or even a fly only sections.

Cheers
Alex

madjoni

Hi and thanks BlueOne
I know that in Slovenia are people who dont think like money making businesman.I have privilege to make friendship with one fellow, Robert T.He was on fishing trip for 7 days here and it was very impressive experience for me.

Fishing here can be superb out of this C&R zones,but one must be non-stop in touch with water condition and 'poacher activitis' :mad:.Poachery is our bigest problem with exploatation of sand(gravel) from some rivers.:(:(:(