Montenegro

madjoni

. I read somewhere that some of these rainbows are spawning in Slovenian rivers which I have hard time to believe.
That is nothing new to me.Before 100 years or so,Austrians introduce rainbows(and brook trout) in every river from Slovenia till our border.Specialy in Bosnia.Well,rainbows manage to reproduce in Trebisnjica river an brooks in uper course of Bosna river and one atribute to Neretva river,Rakitnica.This Trebisnjica is very close to our border and one of atributs, Susica springs like river Zaslapnica in my country.I now that there are rainbows who are spawning.

BlueOne

Interesting stuff. I am planning to visit Slovenia end of June, maybe Soca and Idrijca. Introduced rainbows really make me feel like visiting Disneyland for flyfishers instead of hunting for wild fish. I read somewhere that some of these rainbows are spawning in Slovenian rivers which I have hard time to believe. These fish are good fighters, and maybe this is the reason some anglers are attracted.

My home trout streams are even in worse shape than those in Montenegro - we dont have C&R or even a fly only sections.

Cheers
Alex
Rainbows spawn in many slovene rivers. However there is no comparisment between stocked rainbow and wild rainbow when it comes to fight, a wild one is in a diffrent class. But if you choose your waters wisely you shall be able to catch wild rainbows. In fact they (not officialy as no official investigation was ever made) are outcompeting brownies. In my local rivers, we had an explosion of wild rainbows and the brownies went down. So yes, there are many waters in Slovenia where rainbows reproduce, but there are also many waters in which they are also stocked. So although they for example reproduce in Sava, this does not mean, you shall catch wild ones as some sections (not all) are heavily stocked.

But rainbows do reproduce in many of our waters. All waters around me for example, have populations of wild rainbows. Unfortunatelly.

PS:

As madjoni has mentioned, stocking of rainbows on Slovenia started more than 100 years ago, i think even before 1900.

Last edited:

nymphist

madjoni,
I have a couple of friends of mine who fished Neretva in the past season. They caught some softmouths too. I understand from your posts that the softmouths are found in Montenegro rivers as well.

Hi BlueOne,
is there a way to know which rainbow is wild and which one is stocked?

On my local karst stream=spring creek type of water there are rainbows escaped from a fish farm near by the river. They are quite aggressive and push the native browns away from the best feeding & hiding places.

madjoni

madjoni,
I have a couple of friends of mine who fished Neretva in the past season. They caught some softmouths too. I understand from your posts that the softmouths are found in Montenegro rivers as well.

All biger rivers that floats to Adriatic sea (our side of sea,not Italian) have its on
strain of softmouth trouts.And they all are diferent from river to river.
You may find interestig stuf on this site Balkan Trout Restoration Group Site

pago54

Hi BlueOne
I' m very happy you tell me the names of the still rivers in Slovenia,about C&R i do it because i don' t eat the fish and think it must be done only for medium size respecting small sizes and the bigs size.

Hi Madjoni
you write that one of yours problems is the poaching fish but i want to know why ? for eating fishs or only for vandalism ?

BlueOne

Hi pago,

i will reply on pm, in order to keep madjonis excellent thread as clean as possible.

I have nothing against releasing a fish as long as angler is aware that fish can be seriously damaged and acts according to it and as well as long an anglers has some common sense and controls himself. We all release fish.

Sensible minimal limits, bag limits, sensible protection time etc. this is what keeps a population healthy. And sensible stocking policy. For example, now we have C&R and waters that can open on 1st of March. That is before or during grayling and hucho spawning time (depends on a year,i have pictures of graylings spawning as late as April) plus brown trout alevins, some years even eggs can still be in gravel... Great.. But of course it brings money if you open water 1 month sooner. And all that is covered with C&R, finger is pointed at those who keep a fish now and then....

BlueOne

madjoni

Hi Madjoni
you write that one of yours problems is the poaching fish but i want to know why ? for eating fishs or only for vandalism ?
Hi pago54
Poachers kill fish most of all to sell that fish to the restorants.It is business for them and goverment do nothing about it.That is the sadest thing of all:(:(:(
I would not mind at all if someone kill fish(or any game) to feed hungry family.

nymphist

Poachers kill fish most of all to sell that fish to the restorants.
We have the same problem on my local waters.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

For example, now we have C&R and waters that can open on 1st of March. That is before or during grayling and hucho spawning time (depends on a year,i have pictures of graylings spawning as late as April) plus brown trout alevins, some years even eggs can still be in gravel... Great.. But of course it brings money if you open water 1 month sooner. And all that is covered with C&R, finger is pointed at those who keep a fish now and then
I heard of some US rivers that are open for flyfishing only all year round. They are 100% C&R for wild fish, but during the spawning season no wading is allowed.

madjoni

Is there a one fly only rule in Montenegro rivers madjoni?
No it is not.One can use nymphs or streamers.
Also no one will forbid you some kind of flies to use .I red somewhere that in some countries there are forbiden flies or similar fulishnes.Like Alexandra for example.
And you can fish upstream or downstream if you like.I red that on some rivers in UK one must fish only upstream.That is contrary our sence of freedom and freedom is some that we care about very much,well adlist we did in last 1000 years.

Last edited:

pago54

Hi Madjoni
In Italy is the same i read in newspapers that many groups of China and Roman cacth with nets for fishs into big rivers and kill all for to sell.,besides too many fishrmen kill all the fish catching with each technique also ff.
Hello(i'm working)

nymphist

One can use nymphs or streamers.
Also no one will forbid you some kind of flies to use .I red somewhere that in some countries there are forbiden flies or similar fulishnes.Like Alexandra for example.
And you can fish upstream or downstream if you like.I red that on some rivers in UK one must fish only upstream.
This is good. I dont find much sense in regulations like one fly only. A member of another board told us about certain rivers in UK where you must use artificial flies in sizes and colores of natural insects only, so no streamers are allowed, which may or may not define the 'true' idea of FF, but everybody knows that streamers are part of the fun too

madjoni

Lower Zeta again,but this time one small atribut of Zeta,my favourit 'jungle like' stream.It is around 600-700meters long but i love it.:cool::cool:

I heard one big jumped :eek::D

Soo I try and try:confused::eek:

But I got this small one:(:(

Two days latter,rainy day,red wet fly and here is she:D

pago54

Hi Madjoni
do you have insect photos of your rivers and fishs in activity?
When do the greater hatching of My fly and sedge?
tankou

madjoni

Hi Pago
Insekts are the same like everywhere in Europe.Bigest hatching of may flies are in may-june on Adriatic rivers and june-july for Bleack sea drenage.

madjoni

here is more photos of this small stream sorrunded by fig trees...

And this beaty is the bigest trout I got last year:cool: