Moral dilemma with COVID

kingf000

Imo the question is simple: can you avoid contact to other people while fishing and on the way to the fishery.

I don't see why fishing alone in a wide space after using your car to get there is any kind of risk.

On the other hand I can also understand the authorities. Anglers might use a train to get to the fishery. Also some fisheries are more confined spaces that are crowded and promote contact between anglers. Day License selling is also an unnecessary contact that can promote infection (unless they sell licenses online which some do).

In short, if you drive into the mountains and fish with the next person being more than 100 feet away from you there is zero risk.

But if you use public transportation to get to a small crowded inner city fishery after buying a license in person you are creating a lot of risk
The safety of fishing was the argument used to the government by the Angling Trust, and it was swiftly rebuffed, including an implied criticism that now is not the time to be looking for loopholes. The problem is that you may think you are not at risk or putting others at risk, but as my mother used to say - it is the thin end of the wedge. Other, less responsible, people see you enjoying yourself with your hobby and they immediately think they should be able to do the same. So you rapidly end up with, for example, skateboard parks full of youngsters, beauty spots crammed with walkers etc. and we are back to square one! A critical time will be this weekend when everyone is getting stir crazy and the weather is due to be better.

sean freeman

I’d hedge my bets that the beauty spots will be crowded this weekend with people convincing themselves they’re not doing any harm even though every other numpty has the same idea. Meanwhile I’ll be sat in the sun getting pi$$ed in my garden! 🥴

glueman

In short, if you drive into the mountains and fish with the next person being more than 100 feet away from you there is zero risk.

Then you slip break your ankle and have to phone 999 and ask for mountain rescue that puts them at risk.
Fishing has stopped, FULL STOP

jerryrum

Then you slip break your ankle and have to phone 999 and ask for mountain rescue that puts them at risk.
Fishing has stopped, FULL STOP
Far more accidents happen in the home and you still end up calling 999.

of course my only source for this is watching Casualty for many years

ohanzee

Also that some can't grasp that if they pick and choose the bits that suit them then so can everyone else.

I was speaking (from a distance) to a man yesterday who said "if you are going to get it you are going to get it" FFS. He is carrying on much as normal, seeing family members (some in the vunerable category) in three or four different households.

What can you do? Stupidity reigns.

Andy
The typical pattern is the old and frail die first, followed by the stupid.

Secret Angler

Unlikely -- Don't think so.

On the narrow country roads where I take my daily exercise, there are hoards of cyclists passing within 2 metres or less, puffing, panting and coughing through their exertions, closely followed by their brood.
Gosh, a corona peloton. A cycling commune?

ohanzee

Out of all the various peoples out there cyclists have fallen in my respect, not all obviously but a couple of incidents just during this short time has left me with a changed attitude.

glueman

Just returned from my 4 miles around the lanes where I live never seen so many people some on bikes some walking dogs. Hardly recognize any of them so they are coming out of town to excercise. Weekend forcaste is good watch out Derbyshire, Snowdonia and the lakes the hoards will be on you

champyron

Elinor had closed. I was concerned, but got no answer by telephone. They quickly replied to the enquiry form through their boat bookings on the website. It appears that their website controller was struggling to get back from abroad and it will be amended asap. They have managed to remove the banner now.

Lewis Chessman

Moral dilemma, I have been in self isolation in Glasgow for over a week, in the same clothes, clothes at my home an hours drive away, there is also some non critical medication, supplies, and packages that have been delivered, and generally check the house is safe.
I would be in isolation on the way, and there, and back but potentially be breaking the non essential travel advice.
My risk assessment would appear to only breaking down/crashing, walking a long distance, and having car towed.

What say the moral dilemma committee?
Alan, this is a couple of days old now but I haven't seen your decision mentioned.
I don't wish to pry, but does it have to be a two-way trip? Once you're home could you not s-i there? I'd imagine you'd have more supplies at home and so less reason to go shopping as frequently. I expect you'd be more comfortable being home too, with more around to occupy yourself, plus your spices to cook with. ;)

Either way (return trip or not) fwiw I'd say a trip home to pack a suitcase, pick up some meds & toiletries, etc., is legitimate, especially at a time when good personal hygiene is imperative. The friend of a dead US doctor was on C4 News tonight saying he had bemoaned the fact that he'd had to wear the same face mask on the ward for four days. He was convinced that was the cause of is infection. Sure, the good man was on the front line but there are sufficient insurgents behind that line for the importance of cleanliness to be relevant to us all.
If you decide to, I'd go very early or during meal times, just to meet minimal traffic. If you break down ..... steal a bike! ;)

We're seeing 'Can I / Should I fish' threads all the time at the moment. What each one seems to ignore is that we don't plan accidents, they just happen outwith our control.
At about 10:20 am the electricity went off in this area. I went for a good walk to a loch and through a bit of woodland. It was fantastic. I haven't been that close to trees for months! The loch was flat calm in soft late-winter light - but nothing rose. Anyway, I digress. The power came back on around 3 pm. It transpired that a car had left the road and hit a telegraph pole, causing the outage.
Sounds nasty and I hope the occupants are OK, but I also wondered at how many of the emergency services would have had to attend, followed by the 'leccy techies once the police let them have access. And, let's face it, a hospital is the last place any of us want to be visiting at this time. So, I also hope that the driver had damned good reason to be out.

It just struck me as salutary. When we jeopardise ourselves we immediately jeopardise others. I don't think we can morally excuse that, especially just for a cast.

ohanzee

Alan, this is a couple of days old now but I haven't seen your decision mentioned.
I risk the wrath but, I have been, I didn't mention because I think if we do make these decisions its best not to encourage others to think its ok without some proper consideration.
I was prepared to be stopped and advised by police, and arranged to be picked up should I break down, seems all a bit overkill but after a week isolated here I felt a bizarre sense of responsibility.

Now safely back with enough supplies to save a supermarket run.

Lewis Chessman

Good man, I'm glad it all went well. It's not overkill, it's consideration and preparation. That you (presumably) can't be at home is down to you doing your bit and a sense of duty. Cheers. Other than trying to avoid infection/infecting I've yet to find a way to help at all. Do wish you'd had to nick a bike and join the cyclists, though.

ohanzee

Good man, I'm glad it all went well. It's not overkill, it's consideration and preparation. That you (presumably) can't be at home is down to you doing your bit and a sense of duty. Cheers. Other than trying to avoid infection/infecting I've yet to find a way to help at all. Do wish you'd had to nick a bike and join the cyclists, though.
Don't laugh but before I left I suggested I take a bike in case I broke down, I got some strange looks before someone pointed out that they would just come and get me.......:)

kype

I understand other countries have also prohibited fishing. I am a Respiratory Care Practitioner and took care of one covid-19 Pt. so far with at least one other in progress.
I read this morning that we are at 10% - 12% of predicted case level. Next Saturday is opening day of the Vermont fishing season. So far fishing is not restricted. If it were to be restricted I will be fishing anyway. I will not agree to that level of loss of my personal freedom or anyone else's.
I keep reading that this covid-19 is a bio-weapon release. What do you folks hear over there? Also that region in China was the first area to have full 5G coverage. Some Dr. posted a video stating that this radiation has some part in the virus issues we have been facing.
"Moral dilemma!" Do you really believe Government is your friend? The UN wants 90% human population reduction, open borders, a one world Government and you have a moral dilemma and want to rat out a fishing club? Man there are plans in place for a post human earth! Globalists are perhaps now making their move. Soon they will be telling us we need to live under ground for our own protection! I am going fishing and so should everyone else. There are far more deaths from auto accidents and we still drive. We are never getting off the earth alive.
I have a moral dilemma. I've argued on this site that fly fishing is good exercise, a solo sport and therefore should be allowed, and been vilified for this. Since the publication of the letter from the Minister of Sport it is clear that fishing is regarded as being non-essential and therefore banned. However, I have found out that the local fly fishing lake, that I have been a member of, is defying this ban and continuing to fish on the basis of the above argument. I contacted them pointing out the situation but they still haven't issued a ban. What should I do? Whistle blow and risk being hated by the members? Or do nothing?

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
I understand other countries have also prohibited fishing. I am a Respiratory Care Practitioner and took care of one covid-19 Pt. so far with at least one other in progress.
I read this morning that we are at 10% - 12% of predicted case level. Next Saturday is opening day of the Vermont fishing season. So far fishing is not restricted. If it were to be restricted I will be fishing anyway. I will not agree to that level of loss of my personal freedom or anyone else's.
I keep reading that this covid-19 is a bio-weapon release. What do you folks hear over there? Also that region in China was the first area to have full 5G coverage. Some Dr. posted a video stating that this radiation has some part in the virus issues we have been facing.
"Moral dilemma!" Do you really believe Government is your friend? The UN wants 90% human population reduction, open borders, a one world Government and you have a moral dilemma and want to rat out a fishing club? Man there are plans in place for a post human earth! Globalists are perhaps now making their move. Soon they will be telling us we need to live under ground for our own protection! I am going fishing and so should everyone else. There are far more deaths from auto accidents and we still drive. We are never getting off the earth alive.
And if whilst out fishing, you infect just one person, who will infect others, some will die.
You as a Respiratory Care Practitioner, having treated patients, should know better.
The 5g thing is nonsense.
5G broadband in a wireless situation has been active throughout the world for years.
However will always be conspiracy theorists out there that like to perpertuate their myths.
If the spikes seen in Europe show same pattern in Vermont, which is highly likely, given your proximity to New York state, then imagine all the deaths annually, by car crashes in your region occuring every day, and every day after that for weeks.
Now tell me is not insanely selfish going fishing.
regards
Bert

ohanzee

Do you really believe people can catch viruses from mobile phones?

And be allowed to treat people?

mrnotherone

Interesting view. Unfortunately I think you may have swallowed one too many conspiracy theory and allowed your paranoia to cloud your judgement.

This pandemic is real. It will kill a lot of Americans, but I guess your perverted sense of "freedom" is more important. I have spent a long time in your country and have many American friends who have managed to venture further than their state line. Your world view seems somewhat limited and ridiculously insular. Good luck to you, none the less.