Fly Fishing Forum banner

Moral dilemma with COVID

21K views 263 replies 47 participants last post by  glueman 
#1 ·
I have a moral dilemma. I've argued on this site that fly fishing is good exercise, a solo sport and therefore should be allowed, and been vilified for this. Since the publication of the letter from the Minister of Sport it is clear that fishing is regarded as being non-essential and therefore banned. However, I have found out that the local fly fishing lake, that I have been a member of, is defying this ban and continuing to fish on the basis of the above argument. I contacted them pointing out the situation but they still haven't issued a ban. What should I do? Whistle blow and risk being hated by the members? Or do nothing?

#2 ·
Wouldn't be Elinor by any chance?

I am disappointed to note that their website continues to state that they remain open. I have written to them, received an automated acknowledgement of my contact but no reply.

I find it hugely irresponsible and despite it being my favourite float tube fishery, I doubt that I will fish there again when the situation is normalised.

#5 ·
I understand the ramifications of keeping the fishery open in the current climate but I reckon many of these small fisheries won’t be around when this is over so they’re staying open to prolong the inevitable. I’m happy to pay my club subs even if I don’t get to fish this season. They’d be doomed if people started demanding their money back.

#7 ·
I understand the ramifications of keeping the fishery open in the current climate but I reckon many of these small fisheries won't be around when this is over so they're staying open to prolong the inevitable. I'm happy to pay my club subs even if I don't get to fish this season. They'd be doomed if people started demanding their money back.
I agree with you, it is not only fisheries but many other small businesses that do not have the financial reserves to withstand a long lock down that will also go to the wall, with devastating effects on the people's livelihood and the economy. So the only way we can save these businesses is for a 100% compliance of the rules, so that we get through this emergency as quickly as possible.

#20 ·
No they are not . . . but that's not the point. If you look at the Elinor website you will see that they have put in place facilities for anglers to pay in advance, have their ticket placed under their windscreen wiper etc, which is very good. However . . . and it's a big 'HOWEVER' . . . by advertising that they are open they are encouraging the weak willed to make non-essential journeys, probably quite long ones, to use boats and oars, bank anglers to use benches etc that others have used.

Compare this to a short journey to Tesco for food. Organised queuing outside the shop. Hand sanitisers when you get in, gloves for each shopper and trolley handles sanitised. Restricted numbers in the store and organised queuing for payment. No comparison.

It is a dilemma, for some a problematic one, but in analysis it is not a moral one, the moral is clearly defined. It is a dilemma of discipline.

#9 ·
I think it's irresponsible. Okay they have an economical dilemma just like pubs, hairdresser etc and there is financial help out there (according to the Government). So! Are they going to pay any fines that their punters might get for non essential travel? How many of their punters might die due to contracting CV (they might get it from the fishery) so less income for the future? What safeguards do they have in place for their punters? Is the place privately owned or leased?
I'm a member of a club that lease the water, we're hoping for a reduction in rent for next year (if everything is over). We'll also be either reimbursing or reducing membership prorata depending on how long things take. We are saving on fish as not being able to stock.
Commercial venture will be different and the fish farms are taking a big hit. Unable to move stock on and then having to spend on extra feed to keep the fish.

#15 ·
I think it's irresponsible
It is to a degree, the thing is its all degrees, among the many activities people are still allowed to do, and can do perfectly safely, fishing is probably one of the safest and most isolated.

We are all missing out on fishing but for many it looks like there will be no fisheries to go back to if they close, I think there is a balance that we have to reach, good that everyone respected the lock down but there will need to be either ways of working with exposure to transmission, or we stay in lock down for the estimated 18 months till antiviral is available.

G
#11 ·
While I too have coughed-up (no pun intended) for my for my season ticket I am staying home until this nonsense is over, even though I've heard that some of the old boys are carrying on regardless.

For me there's also a moral dilemma attached to grassing people up, depending on the severity of the 'crime' of course - we haven't quite reached the old East German regime standards ... yet.

#13 ·
In Ireland they have been told they can still go fishing seeing as it’s a largely solitary venture and as long as it’s within 2km of their house. My uncle is lucky to have a lovely, prolific trout river dissecting that 2km circle.

I suppose the U.K. is much more densely populated but I’d say I’m at more risk going for a walk near my house lately. Loads of people out walking and cycling who will no doubt be subject to injuries too. The empty Manc streets are also starting to resemble a track day due to the Barry boys being out in force too.

#16 ·
I've written my Club fees of for the remainder I've had bigger loses, the keepers, rent l, rates etc etc still have to be paid trying to get fees back isn't going to the club.
With some luck it'll be over with soon but I'm not optimistic about things as it is.

Al

#17 ·
I think the problem with continuing to fish is that isolating, responsible anglers will become aware that people are fishing and the old "if it's ok for him, it's ok for me" mentality will begin to creep in with an increase in fishing "traffic".

It's probably quite a selfish act to continue fishing in that respect as it could potentially threaten social distancing.

#19 ·
Totally agree, its also the same dilemma across all activities, I walked across a golf course yesterday, no golfers and totally empty, you can see where one golfer at a time would be perfectly isolated in a very controlled way but to do it would start the shift back to everyone doing it, travelling, and so on, before you know it no lock down.

#27 ·
Sh*t, it's not hard is it.
How important is fishing ?
You gotta do what you think is right and what you can sleep easy with if you ever find out you contaminated and killed some people you love.
These are exceptional times, step up, make some exceptional decisions.

#31 ·
I agree, but in the eye of the storm well-being and mental health can take a back seat, there will be a time and a place for that, afterwards.
Forgive my insensitivity but we've lost two aunts and an uncle on my wife's side in the east of France, we are a close family.
Anything you can do to stop it spreading, even if it effects your well being for a few months. As far as mental health is concerned, well, we are all victims of a 21st century plague, all of us are feeling insecure, depressed, angry and uncertain, but its not exclusive.
Sorry, I'm not feeling very empathetic at the moment.

Reactions: rogerk
#34 ·
Bert, sorry but unless you are Joking, you are a knob.
I hope this doesn't touch anyone close to you, sincerely.

Reactions: rogerk
#38 ·
Ah, so you are Joking, glad you read and digested my post also.
I guess we must be matching door handles then !.
You've a funny definition of the word " bile " though, you must have lead a very protected life.

#41 ·
Guess your a better educated man than me Bert, I had to Google synonyms for bile.
Thanks for cluing me up.
Guess the only one that actually has relevance is dislike
I have a great dislike for knobs like you.
Have a nice evening Bert and thanks for the education ?

#48 ·
Guess your a better educated man than me Bert, I had to Google synonyms for bile.
Thanks for cluing me up.
Guess the only one that actually has relevance is dislike
I have a great dislike for knobs like you.
Have a nice evening Bert and thanks for the education ?
There we go again.
Why use such disdainful language when one has been corrected, and indeed given knowledge.
Given said comments you sir, are slightly more than a knob, you are the full P R i C k.
regards
Bert

#44 ·
The was always going to be a conflict over fishing in isolation versus complying with travel restrictions for the greater good...on a fly fishing forum.

I see both sides, I'm safer fishing than at the supermarket, and driving there is harming no one...that deals with one sense of moral, I also see that doing it would encourage others and at some point challenge the collective acceptance of the travel ban.

I think if I can see both sides others can also.

#47 ·
Well if Elinor is open it's a bit naughty - I certainly won't be fishing there again - those fishing it just are just as bad - trust me there's a bow wave coming in the next few weeks & not playing the game is being very irresponsible.

Don't get me wrong I'm going to miss my fishing as much as the next man/woman - I was gutted a few weeks back when the penny dropped & realised fishing would be on the back burner for some time, but in the big scheme of things it's mere fagash.

Angling trust & industry in general are quite clear on the matter - I'll be lobbying angling trust/teff that (if true) the fishery should be removed as a venue used for qualifiers/finals....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.