More Ads than Threads

linkledger

There seem to be more ads on my screen than ever before. I now have one third of the screen at the side and a large piece at the top taken over with ads and about two thirds of the screen has threads.

Some of the ads now seem to be in two columns where they used to be in one or the column width has doubled.

Is it just my tablet and can it be reset or is it the same for everyone. Know FFF have to make money but the pages are get overtaken by ads.

Mark Powell

Banned
Banned
Since I installed the free AdBlock Plus only last September on my PC (I don't know if it is available for tablets but many ad blockers are) it has blocked nearly a million adverts.

Additionally most ad blockers also prevent you from being tracked, so greatly reduce junk emails.

And as the ads are blocked they aren't downloaded, which greatly speeds up your browsing.

Last edited:

banjo298

What’s gone wrong with the forum page now? The posts are all scrunched up to the left half of the screen with the right hand side being full of an empty box with welcome to fff in it! How do I get my screen back to normal?

scobo

What’s gone wrong with the forum page now? The posts are all scrunched up to the left half of the screen with the right hand side being full of an empty box with welcome to fff in it! How do I get my screen back to normal?
I think that's where the ads would normally be. If your using an ad blocker, you'll just see blank space. At least, that's what I see on my tablet with an ad blocker.
Don't think you can do much about it.

- - - Updated - - -

There seem to be more ads on my screen than ever before. I now have one third of the screen at the side and a large piece at the top taken over with ads and about two thirds of the screen has threads.

Some of the ads now seem to be in two columns where they used to be in one or the column width has doubled.

Is it just my tablet and can it be reset or is it the same for everyone. Know FFF have to make money but the pages are get overtaken by ads.
If your tablet runs Android, try the Power Browser app.
It has ad blocking built in. I use it all the time now and prefer it to the stock browser. Don't get any ads at all on the forum.

scobo

Actually, there's a drop-down box at the very bottom in the left hand corner which lets you change the screen layout on mobile devices.
If you change it to 'mobile style' it displays posts using the full width of the screen.
Looks quite a bit different but might be what your looking for ??

banjo298

Many thanks Scobo! I’ve seen this before and already tried it. As you say it goes full screen width and looks totally different. My normal screen on an iPad used to be about 2/3 posts, 1/3 adverts but for some reason it’s now gone 50/50, with the posts all scrunched and the titles at the top of the page overlapping. I am not using an ad blocker.

scobo

Many thanks Scobo! I’ve seen this before and already tried it. As you say it goes full screen width and looks totally different. My normal screen on an iPad used to be about 2/3 posts, 1/3 adverts but for some reason it’s now gone 50/50, with the posts all scrunched and the titles at the top of the page overlapping. I am not using an ad blocker.
Yeah, mine's the same on an Android tablet, except I just get a big blank space on the right as I'm using ad blocker.
Total waste of screen space ! :thumbsdown:

Mark Powell

Banned
Banned
Do you see any ads on this forum?
Not a single one. Basically the business is a series of hardcopy magazines, which contain ads and I consider the forums a 'service'. After all, unlike the magazines with paid writers, we provide the content for free. And compared to magazine distribution and retailing forum costs are very low.

What's more we pay the cost of ads in the increased prices of the products whether we see them or not, so with an ad blocker we aren't pestered with ads and 'they' don't lose money. Remember, all commercial magazine are basically a 'vehicle' for advertising and only contain just enough content for us to buy them and so see the ads.

So although everyone is entitled to make a living as best they can I don't have any moral dilemma about ad blockers. Nor do Microsoft, I got AdBlock Plus from their W10 App Store.

Last edited:

don1971

It wouldn’t be so bad if the adverts were applicable to context of the forum, ie fly fishing.
I’m sick to death of seeing adverts for the Ladyboys of Bangkok, and various potions for erectile disfunction. There’s minors on here for gods sake!

ohanzee

The ads are getting pretty good at tuning in, open a new tab, google lawnmower(or something) and...voila you get lawnmowers in the top banner, amazing, I don't mind I'm immune to advertising, its the jerky screen when they appear I don't like.

Mark Powell

Banned
Banned
The ads are getting pretty good at tuning in, open a new tab, google lawnmower(or something) and...voila you get lawnmowers in the top banner, amazing, I don't mind I'm immune to advertising, its the jerky screen when they appear I don't like.
'Relevant' ads are due to trackers, which can greatly slow down everything. This is because when you change pages each tracker send a message as to where you were before your next page loads.

I counted THIRTY-ONE trackers just for one page recently. One is always Facebook, which tracks everyone on the internet, member or not, unless you prevent it with an anti-tracker or an ad blocker with an anti-tracker built in.

You don't get any new stuff, even the 'next page' until all those have uploaded, and upload speeds are typically about one tenth of download speeds.

A decent ad blocker prevents all this nonsense in addition to blocking the ads, which just by itself speeds everything up. Anti-tracking gives a further gain in speed.

And there are privacy and security issues too of course, with all these ads and trackers.

It doesn't block ads except ones supposedly 'relevant' to you, but if you use the free 'Tor' browser, developed by the US military, it prevents anyone tracking and keeps your data secure too. Nobody, not even GCHQ or the US National Security Agency, can find out which country you are in, let alone anything else about you, as it randomly generates a new IP address and new country every time you change pages. Not even your service provider knows where you are.

Last edited:
G

guest54

Ad Blocker Plus, as recommended on this forum, has put an end to all the adverts, amazing how different things look now.

Mark Powell

Banned
Banned
Ad Blocker Plus, as recommended on this forum, has put an end to all the adverts, amazing how different things look now.
And they help get rid of these entirely parasitical advertising agencies and the conceited people in them who call themselves 'creatives', freeing them to sweep the streets instead :p

don1971

I have never really understood why modern life is so obsessed with marketing and advertising. Maybe it’s for the weak minded and easily influenced. Personally speaking, if I recognise a need for something in my life I’ll seek it out. Can’t ever really think of an instance when an advert prompted me to go out and spend money I hadn’t intended to spend.
If companies diverted some of their advertising budgets into
Product development and customer services then their goods would sell themselves.

Mark Powell

Banned
Banned
I have never really understood why modern life is so obsessed with marketing and advertising. Maybe it’s for the weak minded and easily influenced. Personally speaking, if I recognise a need for something in my life I’ll seek it out. Can’t ever really think of an instance when an advert prompted me to go out and spend money I hadn’t intended to spend.
If companies diverted some of their advertising budgets into
Product development and customer services then their goods would sell themselves.
Absolutely. 100 percent !!!