More powerful rod needed??

russ b

Hello All,

I’m fishing 10 acre still waters with mainly floating lines at medium distance. My current rod is a Greys greyflex M2 9`6 long 6-7wt. The problem that I have is that my rod seems a bit too sloppy for my technique, I tend to double haul and the rod does not seem comfortable with this. I have tried 6 and 7 wt lines but the rod seems to be not best suited to the technique (or lack off) that I have adopted.

Does and one have any suggestions for a rod that may fit the bill. Ideally under £200 if possible?

Cheers Russ

PitsfordPirate

Banned
Banned
Sorry Russ, this is probably gonna make you and a few others scream with frustration at my repetitiveness but have an hour or so instruction first and then maybe try a few other rods out within your budget to actually see if you need something faster.

The Parrot.

bloke

Sorry Russ, this is probably gonna make you and a few others scream with frustration at my repetitiveness but have an hour or so instruction first and then maybe try a few other rods out within your budget to actually see if you need something faster.

The Parrot.

Thats *******s....what you need is a weekend with me an Carl Hutchinson.....if I can find him?!
we will teach you how to cast
M

dave b

I've a quick question regarding casting. I haven't fly fished for quite a few years and have recently been building up my collection of fly tackle to start again in April/May.

My watercraft is excellent however my casting does leave a bit to be desired as I can't cast to my backing. Is this normal and how far can the average fly angler cast.

On the point of lesson how much is the average lesson today and how good are some of the instructors?

Charliea1234

From what I see the "average" angler casts 15-20 yards but thinks he casts 25-30 :rolleyes:

Charlie

PS. By the way, 15-20 is quite far enough to catch plenty of fish.

Z

zoomer

russ, their right its not the rod,

dave, stop worrying about seeing the backing, how far the average can cast is a thread in itself, the answer is usually about 30' less than they think:D

the cost of a lesson is less than for any other type of lesson and it helps more than lots of money spent on tackle,

and some of the instructors are not too bad, they cast quite a lot eh:D

3lbgrayling

From what I see the "average" angler casts 15-20 yards but thinks he casts 25-30 :rolleyes:

Charlie

PS. By the way, 15-20 is quite far enough to catch plenty of fish.

Sorry. but the average angler casts 10-15 yards if their reasonable. and tells their mates they cast a whole line.no problem:rolleyes:

Jim

dave b

Thanks guys I can cast 20 yds comfortably and within five or six yards of the backing with a favourable wind on a good cast, however I do need to work on tighter loops and better turn over.

Tapered leaders will help with the turn over and a lesson might help with consistency and technique.

Z

zoomer

Thanks guys I can cast 20 yds comfortably and within five or six yards of the backing with a favourable wind on a good cast, however I do need to work on tighter loops and better turn over.QUOTE]

dave, i'd be more concerned with your turn over, it wont matter how far it goes if the presentation is poor, the distance you cast should be the furthest you can still achieve perfect presentation and control.

dave b

8 times out of 10 I'm ok but if I'm trying to force the cast as we sometimes do, to gain an extra few yards it can go pear shaped.

I don't use tapered leaders and I was advised by a friend that it would help as will fishing 1 or 2 flies if conditions are less than favourable.

Nearly all my fly fishing in on the bank on stillwaters/reservoirs however being a perfectionist I do tend to be over critical in some areas.

I'll definitely look at a casting lesson as I think it will help to iron out any flaws.

dave b

I live in the south west near Taunton but I'm originally from Durham where I frequently used to fly fish on an evening.

My main passion is coarse match fishing and I'm very well regarded within the match fishing fraternity however I want to make more effort to get out fly fishing this year.

mrbox

casting

Sorry. but the average angler casts 10-15 yards if their reasonable. and tells their mates they cast a whole line.no problem:rolleyes:

Jim

Good point, I have also seen them casting over the top of fish thinking the further they cast the more fish etc etc. doooh:confused:

Another most important point is concentrate on your presentation and technique, distance will come later.

Regards Rob.

Alanc

As has already been said get yourself a lesson and don't worry about being able to cast into the backing I have never been able to but at times you only need a few yards of line out near the bank to catch fish they don't all swim in the middle of the lake.
There is a saying The bad workman always blames his tools

Alan :guinness:

Last edited:

gunandrod

I live in the south west near Taunton but I'm originally from Durham where I frequently used to fly fish on an evening.

My main passion is coarse match fishing and I'm very well regarded within the match fishing fraternity however I want to make more effort to get out fly fishing this year.

Where are you fishing?
I live not too far from Taunton and there are lots of stillwaters in the area and most I have fished don't need more than 20 yd cast.

Paul

Lewis McIntosh

Just done a quick calculation as I didn't know the length of my line.

I reckon I can cast 20yards consistently but 25 more often than not unless conditions are bad and on a perfect cast with no wind and a perfectly timed double haul can do the full 30.

Ain't it funny how you can watch others cast and you think they are casting twice the distance you are.

Well I can almost guarantee for the most of the time anyway they are watching you and thinking the same I think its because you are looking along your line but viewed from the side it seems a much longer cast.

RPS

Please define "powerful rod", since when did rods become "powerful"?

I thought rods had a capability, and a general rating to signify a supposed ideal line weight.

russ b

Iv'e never cast a Greysflex M2,:eek: and I would also be interested in what you thought was 'medium distance'

Jim

hello 3lber, in my garden today I did some casts with the m2 and a 7 line and my av casts were just under 19 yards so miles off my backing. I would imagine on a lake with space I might get 20.

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Iv'e never cast a Greysflex M2,:eek: and I would also be interested in what you thought was 'medium distance'

Jim[/QUOTE

by powerfull in my case I mean the rods ability to not over compress on my cast.

Please define "powerful rod", since when did rods become "powerful"?

I thought rods had a capability, and a general rating to signify a supposed ideal line weight.