Mortimer & Whitehouse

shropshire_lad

Funny isn't it, both myself and Mrs SL thoroughly enjoyed the latest episode, in fact Mrs SL chuckled on possibly half-a-dozen occasions o_O I thought it was the best of the series so far. Great setting, lovely to see nature waking up with the early starts, the song was quite astute and made me think and even the daft Brian Adams banter was amusing. They have redeemed themselves a bit in my eyes as I thought things had gone a bit downhill(y)

boisker

There is just so many Jokes :confused: they can tell

as said before just to much "Chit Chat " when they should be fishing

but one thing you can not get away from is the filming : great rivers

would think this series will be the last unless they do a Robson Green word wide
Heaven forgive o_O
it’s been said multiple times in the thread already...
but to try again....
It’s not meant to be a fishing programme, it wouldn’t get the viewing figures...
lets face it, even on a fishing forum some of the most regular posters argue incessantly about brexit and covid and have little to say on fishing... if fishing isn’t popular on a fishing forum, what makes you think it would be successful and popular on national tv😂

Mrtrout

I can watch Paul Whitehouse all day but Mortimer is really starting to annoy me with his crap one liners.
I never found him funny with Reeves, it was very slapstick stuff on adult tv.
S.

JohnH

I suspect there is more to Bob M than he lets on, other than only occasionally. His father being killed in a road accident when Bob's age was in single digits was clearly shattering for the whole family, he has enough between his ears to have got a Masters degree in welfare law and to have practised before he turned to comedy, and if you read their book his heart trouble was very serious indeed and it was touch and go at one time. He hinted in the "salmon" episode of the current series that black humour was his coping mechanism, certainly for his father's death. None of us have walked a mile in Bob's shoes, so who are we to say he's wrong ?

beetlebum

I suspect there is more to Bob M than he lets on, other than only occasionally. His father being killed in a road accident when Bob's age was in single digits was clearly shattering for the whole family, he has enough between his ears to have got a Masters degree in welfare law and to have practised before he turned to comedy, and if you read their book his heart trouble was very serious indeed and it was touch and go at one time. He hinted in the "salmon" episode of the current series that black humour was his coping mechanism, certainly for his father's death. None of us have walked a mile in Bob's shoes, so who are we to say he's wrong ?
I completely agree, although he does have a tendency to lay it on a little thick at times I always get the feeling he's a lot sharper than he makes out to be ( playing the fool is a prerequisite of being a comedian I suppose). I think that the program is aimed to appeal to everyone and from the fact my wife will happily watch it I'd say they've succeeded.

benisa

it’s been said multiple times in the thread already...
but to try again....
It’s not meant to be a fishing programme, it wouldn’t get the viewing figures...
lets face it, even on a fishing forum some of the most regular posters argue incessantly about brexit and covid and have little to say on fishing... if fishing isn’t popular on a fishing forum, what makes you think it would be successful and popular on national tv😂
so is it then re born " Malcolm and Wise " show ?:confused:

strange statement to make that fishing isn't popular on a fly forum so we are he for argle bargle
the ?

If this forum did not talk about other things except fishing it would have dried up by now

thetrouttickler

I think it is only a small minority of the membership who regurlarly engage in the Lodge stuff, but they do it incessantly. Takes a certain type of character. If value is measured in clicks they're on to a winner but the recent poll showed that a clear majority of the membership don't want it...

suzuki15hp

The Program's actually quite a clever format, otherwise it wouldn't be getting the viewing figures and new series it enjoys.

It has content covering many areas of interest, including fishing methods, humour, human interest, holiday accommodation, local history and cooking. Not bad for a 30-minute slot.

I, like very many others, enjoy it and It's the only "fishing" program my non-fishing wife actually wants to watch along with me.

Obviously, there are many viewers who don't like it. Simply just don't watch it.

glueman

I can watch Paul Whitehouse all day but Mortimer is really starting to annoy me with his crap one liners.
S.
Use the off button on the TV if you don't like the show. It is about to old men who have both had heart attacks and the way they cope with it. It is not really a fishing show. A heart attack leaves one slightly dilabetated certain things you can't do like working above shoulder height

boisker

so is it then re born " Malcolm and Wise " show ?:confused:

strange statement to make that fishing isn't popular on a fly forum so we are he for argle bargle
the ?

If this forum did not talk about other things except fishing it would have dried up by now
as with the show... you missed my point...
a recurring theme :)

Mrtrout

Use the off button on the TV if you don't like the show. It is about to old men who have both had heart attacks and the way they cope with it. It is not really a fishing show. A heart attack leaves one slightly dilabetated certain things you can't do like working above shoulder height
I like the show, I’m just not a big fan of Mortimer as I said.
S.

sewinbasher

You have to realise, as others have said, that this is not a fishing show but a general entertainment show that I enjoy as just that. Bob Mortimer's childish behaviour and angling ineptitude will be lost on much of the TV audience. I couldn't fish with the bloke and I begrudge him the Bossington and Wherwell tickets, but I fished in the company of Paul Whitehouse for three days (pre heart attack) and found him to be a predictably entertaining companion and a competent angler.

Waltyluft

S.
One mans meat and all that.....

I'm the other way round. I really like Bob Mortimer but often find Paul Whitehouse irritating.

It would be a boring old world if we all liked the same things/people I guess.

I do enjoy the show but purely as light entertainment.

lee71

I love Paul as a comedian especially when he's with Enfield they make a brilliant duo imo, Paul is a good fisherman in a lot of different fishing situations especially fly and a nice bloke off screen, I can take or leave Bob as a comedian but think he does ok on the show, ok he does come out with some silly stuff and ain't great at fishing but I love to see his excitement which I don't think is a put on when he catches a fish.
I'll keep watching it.(y)

DaveM

I wish you had told my boss that I was debilitated after mine and a double bypass in my 50s. I still was able to do the roofs on the Churches we were renovating right up until I hit 64 a few years ago when I finally retired. :);)