Mortimer & Whitehouse

glueman

DaveM I was told not to work or lift things over shoulder height when I was discharged from the DRI. 18 months later I tried cutting my hedge as it was getting out of control (Privet) that evening needed a blue lamp job They did all the tests when they arrived and on their discharge paper wrote do as you are told stop cutting so and so hedge

DaveM

DaveM I was told not to work or lift things over shoulder height when I was discharged from the DRI. 18 months later I tried cutting my hedge as it was getting out of control (Privet) that evening needed a blue lamp job They did all the tests when they arrived and on their discharge paper wrote do as you are told stop cutting so and so hedge
I must have been one of he lucky ones. I was told to take 6 months off because of the type of work I was doing. Then straight back onto a Church roof, on of the biggest on the Isle of Wight in the middle of Newport. Must admit I was a bit wary and took things a lot easier. Got a nipper to carry all the Slates.

skinner

Jury out for me - previous series such natural banter and camaraderie whereas this series seems a little contrived.
And denim jeans on such a prestigious river, no,no,no.
denim jeans? Fishing for stocked fish....
seems about the right set up with a streamer attached or rather a pellet....

noel

Do you ever think we get what we deserve we complained about Mike Hobbs Born to Fish series and Robson Greene so we get a programme which is aimed at non anglers in the form of this ?

albacore

It’s a very popular and well-crafted show, in my opinion. I have a foot in both camps being an actor. So, the cost of making a fishing programme that’s actually about fishing versus the revenue generated by having only anglers watching it doesn’t really work for prime time tv. You can get involved technical guidance on productions that are designed for the internet. But unless you persuade a heavy-weight star like say Willem Dafoe(Jesus, Spider-Man etc)to pursue his hobby in a technical-type show that really goes into what flies and why and so on...You won’t get crossover non-angler viewers who are the majority of people watching on a Sunday night at 8.

smallmouth

You won’t get crossover non-angler viewers who are the majority of people watching

I agree. I've never been interested in "session" carping, but often watch "Monster Carp" and other fishing programmes featuring Ali Hamidi, Dean Macey and various celebrities.

I sometimes notice my wife and occasionally my daughter, (non anglers with no interest in fishing), enjoying these shows and also Mortimer & Whitehouse. Presumably for the locations, banter and in the case of the Monster Carp/Big Fish Off type programmes, the competitive element, i.e. Razor Ruddock v Jimmy Bullard in a "tench off" or whatever.

I believe that's why The Great British Bake Off and the similar pro baking competition work so well. My wife bakes a lot as a hobby and takes orders, producing some very professional looking cakes, for weddings, anniversaries etc. If she wants some baking technical info she uses the internet, books, magazines.

She rarely watches a baking "how to" show on TV. But she avidly watches Bake Off and similar shows, presumably for the added human interaction and competitive elements. My daughter and I, (non bakers), can get sucked into watching these too.

loxie

A 4th series is very good news. It's a harmless fun program that portrays angling in an excellent light. No it's not a serious fishing program but that's not the point. You can watch that sort of thing on the internet as much as you like. The more of this sort of program the less chance Packham's mob will cause the general population of non anglers to dislike us. It might recruit some new blood and cause our significant others to be less annoyed at our regular and prolonged absences.

lipslicker

The more of this sort of program the less chance Packham's mob will cause the general population of non anglers to dislike us. It might recruit some new blood and cause our significant others to be less annoyed at our regular and prolonged absences.

That was a very good point.
👍