Moth I.D.

Cap'n Fishy

I went to the doctor's. I said, "Doctor, I keep thinking I'm a moth."

He said, "Well, it's not really me you want, it's the psychiatrist along the corridor."

I said, "Well, actually, I was on my way to see him, when I saw your light was on."

😜

thetrouttickler

Tortuous Convolvulus was the name of the Roman agent in Asterix and the Roman Agent. Random fact for the day.

Reactions: atr

DaveM

could be a Hornet Clearwing? easker1
I think I will stick to your first suggestion. There was not a lot of colouration on it and I think the Thorax might have been the wrong colour as well for the Hornet Moth. Also the Antennae were not Black.
Thankyou all the same kind sir.

easker1

Fine I just thought that the Convolvulus Hawk moth is a very colourful moth and the Black wing tips don't add up,also the moth flight period doesn't add up, but also neither does the flight period of the Clear wing, I am wondering if it is one of the larger sawflies, but then I am relying on my books so I could be wrong easker1

Fishtales

Derek.

It would appear they do a migration and in the process loose there colour. You can see traces of the pink at the bottom edge of each wing. Also the wing shape is wrong for the other moths.

easker1

I see that Sandy( on Closer Inspection) My mate used to see them up at his house at Just north of Lochinver, I get Poplar Hawk moths here in Gairloch , cheers Sandy easker1

DaveM

Thanks guys perhaps I shall just stick to ( a moth ) it would be nice to it in all its` finery, might take a lot of the guess work out of it. :)

Dave

DaveM

I see that Sandy( on Closer Inspection) My mate used to see them up at his house at Just north of Lochinver, I get Poplar Hawk moths here in Gairloch , cheers Sandy easker1
The best bit of wild life I saw in Gairloch was Pine Martin. It used to come to the window of the cottage we were in, obviously used to getting fed there. We put out a Chickens egg out for it, great. DSCF0729.JPG

Last edited:

DaveM

It was a bit quick at times to get a shot of him so we cracked the egg into a saucer to slow him down a bit. DSCF0719.JPGDSCF0720.JPG
Plus one in the garden.DSCF0705.JPG

Fishtales

Only ever saw one Poplar Hawk Moth Derek.

Next time you get one have a look at the claws on its feet.

easker1

Aye sandy thats the one , Pine Marten are partial to peanut butter and Jam sandwiches, I was on my way to work when I saw 2 of them running up Kinlochewe street easker1

tenet

We found this the otherIMG_20200604_162631923_HDR.jpg week amongst some Ash logs we had delivered. A Privet Moth.