Moth id required...

Cap'n Fishy

Jimmy and I were fishing Loch of Harray on Orkney last week, when Jimmy spotted a drowning moth in the water. He fished it out with his net and passed the end up to me to pick yer man out. (No doubt yer woman, what with the lack of feathery antennae 😜) I sat it on my fishing bag. At first it was a bedraggled, sorry affair, wings tipping left to right in the breeze. But gradually the sun dried it out and it started to perk-up. It managed to get itself into classical moth pose, wings flat...

Another 5 minutes in the sun, and it was flitting about the boat, and then it was up into the air and flying off, down the wind.

All in a day's work for Jimmy and Col's moth rescue service. 😜

dgp

Apparently has a very bitter taste so maybe the fish ignored it !

Cap'n Fishy

Apparently has a very bitter taste so maybe the fish ignored it !

The fish were on various small to medium sedges, a few Caenis and a few buzzers. It would have been a big scary thing to them, I reckon! 😜

codyarrow

Magpie moths are ten a penny in Caithness quite often. Used to get 100's on the windows on good days. Nice looking things.

bobmiddlepoint

Very common in parts of the north and out on the islands. I've seen moorland lochs on Uist littered with hundreds of them in the mornings with not a single fish looking at them. I've even seen spiders ignore them when caught in the web.

Andy

easker1

Had one in the house last night, we also get the odd plume moth, we do well for moths here especially in the autumn, easker1