Mrs mallone

doobrysnatcher

IMG_20210501_120507.jpg

doobrysnatcher

thanks cf 92 ,i havent read taht article and i really need to subscribe to that magazine its been years since i bought it ,any how i use deerhair in a lot of flies ,usually because the reiepe calls for it ,emergers half hogs sedgehogs muddlers to name but a few ,for me you need to learn to tame it so you can manipulate it to its desired profile ,which takes a lot of time /practice and p atientence and less we not forget cleaning up after it , but alas ,i now like using it , i have deerhair in a variety of colours now and find theres always a new pattern calling for it, a fly tier without it is missing out imo
olive half hog2g.jpg
greenpeter sedgehog2g.jpg
golden olive muddler 1g.jpg

karlpolly10

Love those Mrs Mallones, cant wait to try them, just waiting on my new fly tying equipment to arrive so i can have a go, were would i find the instructions for tying them, Karl.

arkle

Hi Karl, If you've never tied or/are only just starting to tie, then this type of pattern will be in the "difficult" category for you. The materials, are not found in most "starter kits" either.

Don't try & run marathons before you learn to walk. There is plenty of info available these days, here, on the net, books etc etc & once the lockdowns have finished, see if you can get some 1 to 1 help or if there's a branch of the Fly Dressers Guild (see next section down the main page) Join it, as it's the best & fastest way to learn.

doobrysnatcher

1 tail phesanttail
2 rib chatreuse wire
3 body rear pearl over black tying thread
4 body front go s/f
5 body hackle go hen
6 wing deer hair dyed sunburst
7 head hackle 3 turns grizzle hackle

listed as you would apply it to the hook shank steps 1-7,hope this helps you karl

karlpolly10

Thanks for the advice, i used to tie a few years back and had to give it up and gave all my gear to a friend, but now i have decided to take it up again, hopefuly it will all come back to me .

Latest posts