Mullet in Braunton

catzrob

I'm from Braunton, in North Devon, and visiting my mother a few weeks ago I went for a walk at high tide that passed the confluence of the Caen and Knowl water (the Caen sort of steps down an artificial slope and goes from being a small river to an estuary).

The water was absolutely boiling with Mullet playing the the fast water at the edge of that artificial slope, and when the water went slack they all hared into the river. About half an hour later I think I saw them all coming back (hard to say with poor water clarity).

Anyone seen anything like this? How would you target such fish?

original cormorant

I've been frustrated by the mud at Crow Point. At low tide you can spot fish that you can't reach because of the mud. As the tide comes in you can see fish (bass as well as mullet). The only reason I return is the hope that I'll be standing on a bit of firm ground within reach of fish as the tide comes in.

running bear

I'm from Braunton, in North Devon, and visiting my mother a few weeks ago I went for a walk at high tide that passed the confluence of the Caen and Knowl water (the Caen sort of steps down an artificial slope and goes from being a small river to an estuary).

The water was absolutely boiling with Mullet playing the the fast water at the edge of that artificial slope, and when the water went slack they all hared into the river. About half an hour later I think I saw them all coming back (hard to say with poor water clarity).

Anyone seen anything like this? How would you target such fish?
Few estuaries don't have mullet, most less than say 20 years ago, but they are still common. Artificial slopes at a river mouth within a harbour was where I first fished for them 30+ years ago, with bait and sometimes even with bait (floating maggot, the Chris Clark way) on a fly rod.

Taking them on a fly isn't that easy, but guys like Colin McLeod (Timmy Mullet on here) have published many of their methods that are above and beyond the bread or maggot flies, or black and peacocks we used for years. His book (Mullet on the fly) is very useful and fly patterns top notch.

If you can find a concentration and look for them circling in their twos and threes feeding aggressively, they can be taken, again, Colin explains it much better than I, but you quickly learn what to look for, even at distance in poor water clarity.

Enjoy the challenge if you go for it.

catzrob

I've been frustrated by the mud at Crow Point. At low tide you can spot fish that you can't reach because of the mud. As the tide comes in you can see fish (bass as well as mullet). The only reason I return is the hope that I'll be standing on a bit of firm ground within reach of fish as the tide comes in.
I was five feet away from them where the Caen drops down that slope by the tiki and Saltrocl shops! Have you had any out at crow?

catzrob

Few estuaries don't have mullet, most less than say 20 years ago, but they are still common. Artificial slopes at a river mouth within a harbour was where I first fished for them 30+ years ago, with bait and sometimes even with bait (floating maggot, the Chris Clark way) on a fly rod.

Taking them on a fly isn't that easy, but guys like Colin McLeod (Timmy Mullet on here) have published many of their methods that are above and beyond the bread or maggot flies, or black and peacocks we used for years. His book (Mullet on the fly) is very useful and fly patterns top notch.

If you can find a concentration and look for them circling in their twos and threes feeding aggressively, they can be taken, again, Colin explains it much better than I, but you quickly learn what to look for, even at distance in poor water clarity.

Enjoy the challenge if you go for it.
Thanks! Are they sensitive to the time of day? When I saw them it was dusk, but I assume it’s just the coincidence of high tide being at dusk that caused that.
Might try bait fishing just to open an account. I’ll get some black and peacocks and that book too. They were amazing to see.

original cormorant

I was five feet away from them where the Caen drops down that slope by the tiki and Saltrocl shops! Have you had any out at crow?
Only small bass at high tide. It's really frustrating to see fish at low tide that you can't get within 50 yards of because of the mud.

Salmo Trutta

If you fish further round so you are opposite the Appledore lifeboat when it is low tide there is a large sandy inlet that is nearly alway full of mullet and school bass. Again as said above easier said than done to catch but at least everything is clean and firm there. I have had superb fun with the bass and frustrating times with the mullet but all adds up to a good outing especially when weather is nice. When the tide turns you will frequently see pods of mullet coming in and some good specimens too. I think dynamite would be the best bait then

running bear

Thanks! Are they sensitive to the time of day? When I saw them it was dusk, but I assume it’s just the coincidence of high tide being at dusk that caused that.
Might try bait fishing just to open an account. I’ll get some black and peacocks and that book too. They were amazing to see.
Dawn and dusk can be better, but they move/feed with the tides, so tide state at your location is probably of more importance. I usually fish at dusk, but that opportunity rather than preference. Take a look at the saltwater fly fishing section, lots of advice there and fly patterns etc - If you don't tie your own, you can buy Timmy Mullets (MacLeod, not McLeod as per earlier post) patterns from selectafly.

catzrob

Good tips - thanks guys. I'll give the bass a crack too. How late in the year is that worth a run?

Latest posts