Mullet on the fly in Scotland?

ohanzee

As children at the local harbour we thought they were impossible to catch. It was a revelation one day watching a man catch free floating a hook with one split shot through the layers with the tiniest piece of fish flesh going on the lightest of lines. Absolute subtlety required. Catching one on a fly must take dedication.

Its the fishing equivalent of trying to chat up a younger woman, there are so many moments when you convince yourself you can, and you keep trying long after it becomes apparent it just going to happen :whistle:

3lbgrayling

You should take a trip down to Greenock/Gourock to investigate as I have heard of lots of fish round about the Western Ferries Dunoon piers/ramps.
I think if you are going to fish the north shore at Dumbaton you would have to get a LLAIA ticket from rhu in the west to Bowling.This does not stop certain groups going out on the sandbars to net them.

Jim

running bear

You've two options IMHO, target static mullet or moving mullet. I don't know if anyone else uses those terms, but they are distinctively different to fish for.

Static mullet are those that appear to remain in harbours, marinas for the majority of the tide, frequently holding station between boats, or circling around outflows, areas to feed. These are "relatively" easy to catch and easy to get on the feed with some ground baiting, and stick a fly past them. Watch their route as they circle and intercept them (often you get small pods of 3-4 fish circuling together, slowing moving along the harbour, before returning in a predictable route). It's, a bit like casting to fish taking buzzers in a wind lane. Use small black flies, shrimpy things, bread flies, or maggots on a floating hook.

Then there's the open water moving mullet, sometimes massive shoals of hundreds, even thousands of fish, usually seen in estuaries filling them up with the tide. These are easier to get at with fly tackle, but an absolute different proposition to catch (again, IMHO). Ground baiting is harder in the very shallow water, usually coming in at a fair rate. They can be right up to the shore in inches of water and are more skitish (if you can see them working up and estuary, and then watch them bypass the wading angler). Many times only your leader will be on the water, with the fly line on the sand/shingle. These run and fight really hard, if you can hook one.

Unfortunately I've seen a huge loss in mullet numbers on the Irish east coast, especially in the last 5 years. 5 years ago in my local estuary you could have seen 500-600 fish work in on every tide, a huge ribbon of feeding fish perhaps 400 yards long. Now it's small pods and individual fish, I'd say due to poaching/netting.

baca157

I wouldn't say big shoals like you get in Helensburgh, maybe 20 or so mulling about, you can see them very clearly at Arrochar but my experience is you spend hours getting a fly near one and the odd one does take the fly..then blows it straight back out, I never landed one yet, its quite nerve wracking, they are generally 6lb+ some look way bigger, you also need to avoid hooking people randomly walking past there but it is quite close to the pub for lunch (y)
That's what I heard about them Alan. Really tricky to catch but if you hook one, it's meant to be some seriously scary ****.

What flies did you use for them? I have tied some mullet flie before so have a wee stash to try.

Cheers,
Sebastian

easker1

I was fishing for them in Angola I had one on when a shark came an took my gear and the mullet, got the shock of my life, easker1

timmy mullet

That's what I heard about them Alan. Really tricky to catch but if you hook one, it's meant to be some seriously scary ****.

What flies did you use for them? I have tied some mullet flie before so have a wee stash to try.

Cheers,
Sebastian
All the information regards flies, locations, tactics etc contained within this book, which was written specifically to help folk catch their first and subsequent mullet. Scotland is virtually untapped as a mullet fishery but holds great potential. Best of luck👍

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
All the information regards flies, locations, tactics etc contained within this book, which was written specifically to help folk catch their first and subsequent mullet. Scotland is virtually untapped as a mullet fishery but holds great potential. Best of luck👍
You must now own up Timmy!

baca157

Thanks Colin. Your book is on my birthday list already!

Got some spectra shrimp tied already.

Look forward to having a go at Mullet fishing.

Cheers,
Sebastian

ohanzee

Cheers,
Sebastian

I used a tiny grey shrimp thing, but being realistic I'm definitely the wrong person to ask given I have never actually had one on for more than 2 seconds, one problem(that I was never lucky enough to need worry about) is bits of sea week floating in and on the water, a 6lb mullet is just going to go and take your line through it all, I reckon its a bit like attaching your fly to the back of a transit van and shouting go :D

suzuki15hp

It's a few years ago now, and I never fished for them, but almost every time we walked our dogs along to Ardmore Point near Helensburgh, there was a huge shoal of mullet in the bay on these images. You could cast straight off the road next to the bay to cover them.

ardmore_1.jpg

ardmore_2.jpg

baca157

It's a few years ago now, and I never fished for them, but almost every time we walked our dogs along to Ardmore Point near Helensburgh, there was a huge shoal of mullet in the bay on these images. You could cast straight off the road next to the bay to cover them.

View attachment 36402
View attachment 36403
Thanks. I’ll definitely check this spot!

Cheers,
Sebastian

micka

Times have changed with the warming of the seas. One time bass would not have been found north of North Wales. Thee years ago I was catching them on fly on the Kyle of Tongue. Colin Macleod /aka TM has blazed so many trails in terms of the pursuit of mullet on the fly and as so many posts above allude it's availability as a sport fish is widespread in the UK. And, I wouldn't view the various species of mullet as the poor man's anything! Just look at a mullet's body and observe its power-potential. The same goes for mackerel - a tuna in miniature for sure, which pound for pound on light fly, or even spinning tackle, must be the best sports fish around.

Mick

baca157

Times have changed with the warming of the seas. One time bass would not have been found north of North Wales. Thee years ago I was catching them on fly on the Kyle of Tongue. Colin Macleod /aka TM has blazed so many trails in terms of the pursuit of mullet on the fly and as so many posts above allude it's availability as a sport fish is widespread in the UK. And, I wouldn't view the various species of mullet as the poor man's anything! Just look at a mullet's body and observe its power-potential. The same goes for mackerel - a tuna in miniature for sure, which pound for pound on light fly, or even spinning tackle, must be the best sports fish around.

Mick
Thanks Micka. I don’t think that “poor man’s bonefish” term is derogatory towards mullet. Quite the opposite. Bonefish fishing is a rich man’s game and mullet fights just as hard but can be fished on the cheap here in the UK. Hence the term.

I am really excited at the prospect of trying to catch these amazing fish.

Cheers,
Sebastian