Multi tip lines

ian1104

Hi,
Does anyone have recommendations for a multi tip line for Sea Trout fishing at night? I fish with a single handed 10' #7.

I've seen a few from the likes of Rio but they seem to be for double handed or switch rods and are quite expensive.... Does such a line system exist for single handers?

Thanks
Ian

original cormorant

Airflo used to produce one 10 years or so ago that you may be able to pick up as old stock on the internet. (I got my #6 on the late tacklebargains website)

Rio did do single handed 15ft versi-tips that were priced at £120 about 15 years ago.

ian1104

ahh thanks guys.. I'd seen that exact one on ebay but wasnt sure of it as the older airflo's used to coil a bit. At £40 I'll take the risk,.

Ian

original cormorant

I used to use that particular line on my heavier (8wt) sea trout rod - really excellent.
I have the #9 tropical version which hasn't been available for years. I'm curious if the tips are the same as the temperate version and it's just the running line that's tropical, anyone know?

3lbgrayling

Sorry to be a pain.But I use multi tip lines for Salmon.and I really hate.I mean really really hate the join in the backing(running line).and the Tip.Trying to land a fish with that loop to loop connection getting stuck in the tip ring and every ring down the blank.then having to go through the agony of having to do it all over again when the fish decides to go for a run. The thought of doing it in the dark with a big seatrout on the end appalls me.
PS I have Rio SA airflo. all the same.

Jim

ian1104

Sorry to be a pain.But I use multi tip lines for Salmon.and I really hate.I mean really really hate the join in the backing(running line).and the Tip.Trying to land a fish with that loop to loop connection getting stuck in the tip ring and every ring down the blank.then having to go through the agony of having to do it all over again when the fish decides to go for a run. The thought of doing it in the dark with a big seatrout on the end appalls me.

Jim

A fair comment Jim.
I make my own braided loops, where I use shrink tube for the sleeve. Earlier this year I used a different size (slightly bigger) shrink tube to the usual, which got stuck in the tip ring and snapped the rod tip 🤦‍♂️.

original cormorant

Jim

An occupational hazard until someone invents a smoother connection. I'm surprised you have a problem beyond the tip ring.
There was a recent posting from a design student looking for a project - a smoother connection for multi-tip lines or maybe an alternative.

3lbgrayling

On my trout lines,I always cut off the welded loop and replace with a braided loop.Works great. But the Salmon lines with tips are both welded loops.I tried replacing them with braided loops but you still have the same problem with a loop to loop connection that does not want to come into the tip ring when a fish is putting pressure on the connection. I only put up with it because of the convenience of rapidly changing line depth control.
The altenative is have a bag full of reels with different complete lines on them.

Jim

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
On my trout lines,I always cut off the welded loop and replace with a braided loop.Works great. But the Salmon lines with tips are both welded loops.I tried replacing them with braided loops but you still have the same problem with a loop to loop connection that does not want to come into the tip ring when a fish is putting pressure on the connection. I only put up with it because of the convenience of rapidly changing line depth control.
The altenative is have a bag full of reels with different complete lines on them.

Jim
Or--------------- use a full floating line, and have a selection of poly leaders in all the densities, and lengths required.
Loop to loop conection goes through rings, sure you feel, and hear the "bump" but its just that, a bump!

The rio type of line, with welded loops, and shrink tube over them will always cause concern when running through rings, given the obvious snag, but they do work.

Regards
Bert

3lbgrayling

Or--------------- use a full floating line, and have a selection of poly leaders in all the densities, and lengths required.
Loop to loop conection goes through rings, sure you feel, and hear the "bump" but its just that, a bump!

The rio type of line, with welded loops, and shrink tube over them will always cause concern when running through rings, given the obvious snag, but they do work.

Regards
Bert

I do this as well,but Rio/SA type tips have no shrink tubing.the tips are 15'long so when you get a salmon near to netting.you have to pull the loop to loop through the tip ring.That's when the problems begin.Your views may differ,but i hate it.(i have lost fish because of it)

Jim

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
I do this as well,but Rio/SA type tips have no shrink tubing.the tips are 15'long so when you get a salmon near to netting.you have to pull the loop to loop through the tip ring.That's when the problems begin.Your views may differ,but i hate it.(i have lost fish because of it)

Jim
Jim, I have several Rio multi tip lines, from Windcutter #10/11/12 down to #6/7, all with a variety of tips.
They all, without exception, have welded loops, some have the loop exposed (the plastic has been factory removed), but they all have heat tube fitted over welds/joins.
As said, you can hear/feel the join going through rings, but I have never lost fish because of it, its a bit of an ooops! moment if fish runs when join is in rings, but it does not loose me fish!

Regards
Bert

original cormorant

I'm not sure if you're saying you've tried replacing both of the factory loops with home installed braided loops. I would have thought these are softer and more flexible to pass thro the tip ring than the factory loops.

cammy

Hi,
Does anyone have recommendations for a multi tip line for Sea Trout fishing at night? I fish with a single handed 10' #7.

I've seen a few from the likes of Rio but they seem to be for double handed or switch rods and are quite expensive.... Does such a line system exist for single handers?

Thanks
Ian
I would recommend not to.

3lbgrayling

I'm not sure if you're saying you've tried replacing both of the factory loops with home installed braided loops. I would have thought these are softer and more flexible to pass thro the tip ring than the factory loops.

Yes I am.and yes they are softer,but under strain.can still cause the join to jam in the tip ring.forcing you to have to lower the rod tip to allow easier transition.But you are giving the fish slack line.not so great with barbless hooks.

Jim

cammy

Yes I am.and yes they are softer,but under strain.can still cause the join to jam in the tip ring.forcing you to have to lower the rod tip to allow easier transition.But you are giving the fish slack line.not so great with barbless hooks.

Jim
I agree. I tried a few nights with a floater and tips, hated the loops rattling in and out of the eyes.
The idea was to stop the need to carry multiple spare spools. I decided I was much happier carrying spare spools.
At one point though I did have about 5 different inters and 4 sink tips to take me between a floater and a DI3 for the sea trouts.

ian1104

I ended up purchasing an Airlflo multitip line. The tips all have a welded loop on one end, and nothing on the other. However, the line does also come with 4 braided loops (one for each tip). Sounds like a stupid question - but what end connects to the fly line, the welded loop end, or the end that I'll be putting the braided loops onto?

Thanks
Ian

ian1104

The factory loops loop to the running line, but that ought to be obvious as the tips are tapered :whistle:
Yes, they are tapered, but it wasn't clear if the thicker end should connect to the running line or to the tippet.... Thanks for clarifying :)