Muntjac

A. Fluker

Subject has come up every once in a while but can't find a source. Does anyone have any clues as to how to obtain a patch of Muntjac without going down the gun licence route?

Be grateful for any positive replies - thanks for looking in the meantime.

:)

EXPATRIATE

Subject has come up every once in a while but can't find a source. Does anyone have any clues as to how to obtain a patch of Muntjac without going down the gun licence route?

Be grateful for any positive replies - thanks for looking in the meantime.

Sorry to ask, but what is "Muntjac"?

easker1

a small tusked deer considered a bit of a menace in some areas, fairly wide spread through out the UK,around the size of a medium size dog, seen around the Inverness area recently , easker1

A. Fluker

Is there a reason it has to be muntjac rather than any other deer hair ?

You could ask Gander as I believe he got some in 2004 :)
Fly Fishing Forums - Muntjac Deer Hair
Thin hair - a bit like mine only people can tye with Muntjac. I'd kill anyone who came within 10 feet of my scalp with what it has left.

Yep it has to be the gun route I guess.

You have an email - in a minute.

stevekale

Go for deer hock.

Muntjac are a pain to skin and that plus their small size may mean it isn;t easy to get them commercially. Must be plenty of people on here stalking though...

One suggestion would be to Google muntjac stalking in your area and speak to a guide.

claw

Hi A .Fluker ,
I was given some Muntjac a few years back pm me your adress and i will send you
some to try .

A. Fluker

Hi A .Fluker ,
I was given some Muntjac a few years back pm me your adress and i will send you
some to try .
Many thanks for your kind offer - you have a PM.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

Go for deer hock.

Muntjac are a pain to skin and that plus their small size may mean it isn;t easy to get them commercially. Must be plenty of people on here stalking though...

One suggestion would be to Google muntjac stalking in your area and speak to a guide.
Hi Steve - thanks for your advice may well end up looking that way.

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

How about the fine deer hair that they use for compara duns ?
Maybe but apparently there isn't anything finer than Muntjac. Only saw one a couple of hundred yards from the house last weekend!

:cool:

sewinbasher

Muntjac are spreading their range very quickly and can now be found pretty much anywhere in England south of a line drawn between the Mersey and the Wash, except for the extreme SW and SE of England and they are also starting to get into South and North Wales.

Although their preferred habitat is woodland they are perfectly happy living in field edges and gardens. They are a nuisance as they damage the ground growing plants like bluebells rather than browse on trees like other deer. The Forestry Commission more or less shoot them on sight but they are still likely to be the most numerous British deer before very long which is not bad going since they were not loose in the wild before some escaped from Woburn in the late 1800s.

Their spread to places like Scotland and Northern Ireland has undoubtedly been with the assistance of Ifor Williams :D

A lot of muntjac are shot each year and a lurk around some of the stalking forums may well produce a hide for you. Try the Stalking Directory.

A. Fluker

Muntjac are spreading their range very quickly and can now be found pretty much anywhere in England south of a line drawn between the Mersey and the Wash, except for the extreme SW and SE of England and they are also starting to get into South and North Wales.

Although their preferred habitat is woodland they are perfectly happy living in field edges and gardens. They are a nuisance as they damage the ground growing plants like bluebells rather than browse on trees like other deer. The Forestry Commission more or less shoot them on sight but they are still likely to be the most numerous British deer before very long which is not bad going since they were not loose in the wild before some escaped from Woburn in the late 1800s.

Their spread to places like Scotland and Northern Ireland has undoubtedly been with the assistance of Ifor Williams :D

A lot of muntjac are shot each year and a lurk around some of the stalking forums may well produce a hide for you. Try the Stalking Directory.
Thank you SB

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

Dont have any where i stalk but i know a man who can get some
you have a pm
cheers
Richard
You have one in return.

Latest posts