MURDER: Orb Web Garden Spiders, Battle Of The Sexes.

wobbly face

Cut Spider.jpg

I've just witnessed a murder.
Victim: Male spider, dead.
Cause of death: Deadly bite.
Murder: Female spider.
Location of body: Wrapped in silk and left in web to mature.
Witnesses: Me and Mrs face.
Statement: Mr OW tentatively approached Mrs OW taping threads of web. Mrs OW tapped back then curled her legs in enticing Mr OW towards her. Mr OW closed in on Mrs OW and tapped her front legs, Mrs OW taped back. Mr OW went to her rear and Mrs OW seamed submissive to him. Mr OW then ran for it, went away from Mrs OW. He then turned to face her again. Again, very tentatively he approached Mrs OW and again tapped on the threads of silk web in his approach towards her. Again when both met he tapped her legs, Mrs OW tapped back, then it happened! In the blink of an eye, Mrs OW grabbed Mr OW and bit him. She then proceeded to wrap him in silk.

Was Mr OW successful in mating Mrs OW? Obviously there wasn't consent!
Was Mrs OW actions to Mr Ow sexual attempts instant, planned and appropriate?
Could Mr OW own actions and hesitancy be the reason for his death at the teeth of Mrs OW? Could the outcome have been different if Mr OW was successful on his first attempt?
Is it right that the females should be a lot larger than the males?
Is it right that the females of the species be should deadlier than the males? (cue song)

I only wished I had a camera to hand. (above photo courtesy of GED libraries)
Anyone with dash cam footage .......?

Verdict is out!

Last edited:

wobbly face

He's certainly in the past now streams. ⚰
On of the females have gone, no web and no sign of her. The murderess is still there. There is a third with a web between the washing/cloths line and lawn, very precarious as it's breezy today.

easker1

I have a orb web spider in the Garden this one is a ginger colour I tried to post a pic but it was too big it's the first time I have seen one this colour, easker1