My first build, Bloke XGNP 10ft 7wt

steviethefifer

I have always wanted to build a fly rod and after scrolling through loads of posts and getting inspiration on this forum, i decided on this kit from bloke rods on ebay. Loved building it and quite happy with how it turned out. Hopefully christen it tomorrow 🎣

20210529_192201.jpg
20210529_192228.jpg
20210529_192251.jpg
20210529_192346.jpg
DSC00230_adobespark.jpeg

steviethefifer

The kit on ebay was £144 plus £8.50 p&p and about a fiver off ebay for a microwave motor for the dryer that I knocked up. £6 odd for a bottle of ipa and £12 for 30min araldite for the handle and reel seat. So about £175 in total

steviethefifer

Very nice and fantastic job 👍. How did you do the custom writing? I tried with acrylic paint and pen and it was a mess 😂
Thanks for your kind words, the writing was a decal from Mick at bloke rods. Went on easier than I'd imagined.

Last edited:

snow white

I have made 5 rods up from mick he is very good to deal with the rods I have made are two 7 weight and one five weight for myself and two eight weight rods for my mate he swears by them very good blanks and components

ed_t

I'd be keen to know what its like for casting ....been told they are very fast actioned

But great build, hope you enjoy using it 👌
Have a look on the bloke website and the rods held a few uk distance records for a while. There was possibly a bit of under-rating jiggery pokery going on, but good casting tools all the same.

sidg

Having recently built one and used it a few times, I’d say it’s fast, but prob not very fast. Others may disagree. It’s not poker like, but you can feel it’s got back bone. Feels nice and light and handles fish well. Need to use it more to give a full verdict. Yet to use it with a fast sink line, but on floaters, sink tip and di3 it does very well for me, I’m impressed.

steviethefifer

Thanks everyone for the kind remarks, I've been using this rod now up at my club water every day for the last 2 weeks and really like the action. I would say fast but not too fast and like has been said above, plenty backbone and definitely not poker like and you can feel every head shake in the playing of fish. Just now I'm using a Barrio slx floater #7 and it flies through the guides and caught 50 to 60 trout on it now up from 2lb to about 9lb. Now I'm thinking about building an 11 footer 7# for when I'm out on the float tube if anyone can recommend a blank.
20210615_162857.jpg

steviethefifer

What's your budget for the 11 fter?
Probably around £150 ish for the complete rod. Only toying with the idea at the moment thinking it could be handy if using longish leaders. Not the first time I've nearly done a backflip in the float tube trying to net a fish when the fly on the top dropper is in the tip ring 🙈

ed_t

Thanks everyone for the kind remarks, I've been using this rod now up at my club water every day for the last 2 weeks and really like the action. I would say fast but not too fast and like has been said above, plenty backbone and definitely not poker like and you can feel every head shake in the playing of fish. Just now I'm using a Barrio slx floater #7 and it flies through the guides and caught 50 to 60 trout on it now up from 2lb to about 9lb. Now I'm thinking about building an 11 footer 7# for when I'm out on the float tube if anyone can recommend a blank. View attachment 40238
I've got a 10' 8# xgnp mick built for me with the minima single legs. Feels more like a fast 7# but that's comparing it to a 10' 8# greys gr70 comp special (bit lifeless, terrible ergonomics on reel seat), and bloke xlent 9'6" 8#, this built with lined single leg titanium rings. Love this rod, beast, needs a new tip ring. This using barrio gt90 floater, airflow 40+ sinkers. The 40+ are a bit too much for the xgnp, the xlent blasts them out, the gr70 is in between.

An 11' 8# xgnp with titanium rings could be good for you. The Ti rings are silly light weight as is the xgnp blank. 7# might be more up your street with short head lines.

Talk to mick and see what he thinks. Let us know.