My first rod

Hardrar

Why would the length of the handle change, your hand doesn't get smaller
I once asked a well known custom builder the same question, about twenty years ago, when commissioning both a 6’ and a 7’ rod.
He had a reputation for being outspoken, with on occasions, some very colourful language:- His answer? “ Why lad? Is tha off ti cut yan of tha effin fingas off timorra?”
I’ll never forget the look on his face that accompanied it!

dougieb

Great work, would never know that was your first build. What finish did you use ? Was it the Sensei stuff that `Mick sells?

b13rux

Great work, would never know that was your first build. What finish did you use ? Was it the Sensei stuff that `Mick sells?
Thank you for the kind words, appreciate it.

Yeah just used the Sensei stuff as it came in the kit and Mick has a video online of how to apply it, so seemed a good place to start. I just mix equal parts and double the amount of IPA, then mix thoroughly and apply straight away to seal the wraps, or leave for two hours then apply over the top of the sealed wraps to give a top coat. Micks video on youtube gives more detail but the method worked really well. I applied the finish with a toenail lifter! its a bit like a burnishing tool but cheaper and thinner, worked really well! Its a little uneven in places but i think that's for two reasons....

firstly because the first time i applied a second coat i left it 3 hours. And secondly I think I worked it a bit too much rather than letting it do its thing to level out. Like everything though you learn through mistakes, and the second time i applied a second coat the wraps evened out really nicely.

beetlebum

I've finished the work on building my first rod now, a few final touches l (like maybe a signature...) but I'm mulling that bit over, otherwise the pictures of the finished rod are below.

The rod itself is a 7 foot Bloke 3WT XLSG UD kit that i bought, being my first build i wanted to keep costs down as i was learning so a kit seemed the perfect approach.

I went for clear wraps using Kimono silk in the end, the wraps are treated with epoxy, two coats one thin just to soak the thread and the second with less IPA as a 'Final' Coat. The black accent wraps i did with a Faber Castell PITT marker just coloring the thread. I think the effect works really well on the hot orange (Amber really) blank and really sets it off. there are a few areas on the wraps that the locked thread has not quite soaked enough so its not totally transparent and where the epoxy has not leveled quite as much as i would have liked, however for a first rod I'm really pleased with it and i think its turned out really nicely.

I put some thought into the black accent wraps so there are 3 above the winding check to denote the weight of the rod, then there are another two on the butt section that seem just decorative however the first of the marks denotes 30cm from the end of the cork handle above the reel seat, and the second 15cm from the winding check. Using these two i have all i need for catch returns using the grayling society system of >15, 15 - 30 and <30cm so whilst also decorative they serve a practical purpose as well.

Each of the joints has a couple of double black trim bands these are purely for decoration, and there is finally one tiny trim band on the tip section, in hindsight this should have been closer to the tip.. but thats me being very critical!

All of the guides have been ground and then polished as i knew they would sit under clear wraps.

As i said I'm very pleased with the result and already have all the bits for my next build... 👀

Also to say thankyou for all the help and advice people offered on the forum, it really helped when i was unsure as to the best approach! (y)

View attachment 34951View attachment 34952View attachment 34953View attachment 34954View attachment 34955View attachment 34956View attachment 34957
Just curious if you have had chance to cast the Bloke yet? I have a kit ready to build in the same configuration and I'm wondering how it casts a 3 weight?

ROVER

Trade Member
Great attention to detail there! Lovely build- you’ll love using it, I have the 6’ version.
Is it the 4pc 2wt you have?
I've got this blank but can't get enthused enough to build it as giving it a living room wiggle suggests to me it's more like a 3 or 4wt
!

b13rux

Just curious if you have had chance to cast the Bloke yet? I have a kit ready to build in the same configuration and I'm wondering how it casts a 3 weight?
Not yet, I've been building up rod two, so just put the bloke in its tube, ill see if i can give it a wiggle with the maxcatch gold 3wt i bought for it this week

b13rux

Finally got out and gave it a waggle for 20 mins today, its a nice rod to cast, seems to be plenty of power if you need it. Also it roll casts very nicely. I was using a maxcatch 3wt and i do wonder how a 4wt would perform, I've got a 4wt just didn't have time to swap over, but if/when i get a chance will report back.

I am pleased with it though, when you got the casts just right it felt effortless.

beetlebum

Finally got out and gave it a waggle for 20 mins today, its a nice rod to cast, seems to be plenty of power if you need it. Also it roll casts very nicely. I was using a maxcatch 3wt and i do wonder how a 4wt would perform, I've got a 4wt just didn't have time to swap over, but if/when i get a chance will report back.

I am pleased with it though, when you got the casts just right it felt effortless.
Funnily enough I had mine out for the first time today for a cast. I only had a 5 weight to hand (Barrio Gt90) and it handled it no problem, in fact it left me wondering if it was more of a 4 wt rod which seems to tie in with your findings. Thanks for letting me know though👍. I do like it, it's very easy to cast.

Latest posts