My local stream - bream?

thetrouttickler

There is a small river behind my house. When I have walked along the bank I have seen some very large chub. Today, a gentleman was fishing from underneath a bridge, where there is a good pool. The stick floats caught up in the low hanging trees like Christmas decorations suggest its a popular place. He cast out a small round something the size of a pea and with 10 seconds the float jagged under, and he had a fish on. A strange looking fish - silver, a small head, then a very slim but round shaped body, and a deeply forked tail. Looking on the web, it looks like a bream. It was a good size too! At least 2 lbs I'd say. The angler didn't have a net and as he tried to lift it from the water, it got away. I wasn't unhappy, I had been rooting for the fish.

It looked something like this:

Screenshot_20200803-195749_Samsung Internet.jpg

Is there anything similar to this it could be?

I'm very interested in going back someday and targeting the large chub, which I know will take a fly. My question is, do bream take a fly?

From what I saw, I could probably fashion a trimmed deer hair fly, shaped like a small pea, with a small bead, so it sinks slowly.

wobbly face

I've done a fair bit of bream fishing, but with coarse tackle. They will surface for flies, floating bread and such. We have 2 species, common/bronze bream and silver bream. Most people get silvers wrong as the small common/bronze are silver in colour and darken with age and size. Silvers are a lot smaller than the common/bronze. Plus head and shoulders different, see your pic. They're a very slimy fish, have rough nodules in breading condition. They also inter bread with other species such as roach and rudd. They're not noted for fighting quality, plastic bag job after the initial take.

codyarrow

As Wobbly points out not the most dynamic fish. If you catch one on a fly I expect that will satisfy you. Some of the plastic bags I hooked on the canal gave a better account of themselves.

skinner

I would definitely cast a fly for the Chub , have you caught chub on the fly before?

thetrouttickler

I would definitely cast a fly for the Chub , have you caught chub on the fly before?
Yes, but none as large as these ones! It's an urban place, teenagers lurk there and leave waste, and the water is slow and muddy. I will try at some point, but I will need to be a little desperate for fishing before.

skinner

Yes, but none as large as these ones! It's an urban place, teenagers lurk there and leave waste, and the water is slow and muddy. I will try at some point, but I will need to be a little desperate for fishing before.
yes that’s the problem with urban fishing.. I occasionally fish an Urban stream and have been called a ‘space man ‘ because of wearing waders..

thetrouttickler

20200912_174111.jpg

I went back for another look today. The water is much lower. I spotted this - a pike!

Now, how do I go about catching one on a fly? Will they move from that typical lethargic slumber if I strip a streamer past? Never caught one before.

Jason 70

View attachment 30669

I went back for another look today. The water is much lower. I spotted this - a pike!

Now, how do I go about catching one on a fly? Will they move from that typical lethargic slumber if I strip a streamer past? Never caught one before.

This may give you an incentive to have a bash, I've been knocking up some wire traces recently. Last winter was pretty much a washout but managed a few in a couple of calmer weather patterns. It's good fun.

gordond

I used to have great fun on canal and river fishing a fly with a cheap whip type rod. Cheapo tenkura.

Great fun for bleak, rudd and any fish that comes up to, or near the surface. It might also work with a heavy nymph. It is a great way to show kids and adults how much fun is fly-fishing.

A cheap 4or 5m whip, a length of heavy nylon, or braided nylon, and a short leader.

For bleak use a really small fly.

Gordon