Mystery cane fly rod

Vintage Badger

It's probably a long shot, but I'd like to identify an 8' 6" split cane fly rod, which was purchased from a fly fishing club's tent at the Chatsworth Angling Fair around 1992. The rod has no maker's name or other identifying lettering on it but I'm hoping one of the forum members may be able to suggest a maker by the fittings used on the rod. The keeper ring is fitted to the top of the rod rather than the underside, the whippings and rings appear original and the rod has a full wells handle.

I would think it probably dates from the 1950s or early 60s and someone once suggested that it originated from Redditch and may be an Allcock's rod. However, the fittings don't seem to match any Allcock fly rod I've seen photos of, so that's probably a red herring?

Any suggestions or positive ID would be much appreciated. Perhaps someone at Thomas Turner Fishing Antiques may be able to help with the ID?

Reel seat.jpg

Handle end spike.jpg

Keeper ring and handle trim plate.jpg

Ferrule.jpg

Tip ring.jpg

iainmortimer

Is there any numbering next to the ferrules? Some of the makers would number each section to be able to check that each sectioned matched. It might worth sending Thomas Turner an e-mail directly as they may be best placed to advise.

Vintage Badger

Is there any numbering next to the ferrules? Some of the makers would number each section to be able to check that each sectioned matched. It might worth sending Thomas Turner an e-mail directly as they may be best placed to advise.
Thanks for your reply, there are no numbers or lettering anywhere on the rod that I can see (I even checked round the alloy reel fittings with magnifying glasses on to be sure in case there was a Regd or Pat no.) and no signs of fragments of old transfer either. If I find anything when I re-ring it and rewhip the ferrules I'll update here.

splinters

This opinion is based entirely on working on other peoples rods from time to time. Not an expert.
I've seen that type of female ferrule with the thick welt on old Alcocks rods. Not familiar with the reel seat. The hook keeper is a repurposed english twist snake guide. I've not seen that done on top of the blank before and can't think of a good reason to do it. I doubt that it came from the factory like that, I think the original keeper has been lost. The cork check is generic, I've seen identical ones on several different makers rods.
Because there's no ink or transfer present, it could be anything. I think you have a rewrapped Redditch rod. The third and fourth pictures look like there may be 'ghosts' on the bamboo where intermediate wraps used to be, or is that just the photo? It could just as well be an Allcocks as any other maker. Maybe rewrapped upside down to counter a slight set?
I'll bet it's rated for a six line but will prefer a five.

Just my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it.
Simon.

Vintage Badger

This opinion is based entirely on working on other peoples rods from time to time. Not an expert.
I've seen that type of female ferrule with the thick welt on old Alcocks rods. Not familiar with the reel seat. The hook keeper is a repurposed english twist snake guide. I've not seen that done on top of the blank before and can't think of a good reason to do it. I doubt that it came from the factory like that, I think the original keeper has been lost. The cork check is generic, I've seen identical ones on several different makers rods.
Because there's no ink or transfer present, it could be anything. I think you have a rewrapped Redditch rod. The third and fourth pictures look like there may be 'ghosts' on the bamboo where intermediate wraps used to be, or is that just the photo? It could just as well be an Allcocks as any other maker. Maybe rewrapped upside down to counter a slight set?
I'll bet it's rated for a six line but will prefer a five.

Just my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it.
Simon.
Thanks for the info Simon. I've just had a good look at the rod (with my x3 fly tying glasses on!) to investigate the apparent 'ghosts'. The one near the ferrule is where a couple of bits of (under)varnish are missing and doesn't run all the way round the rod. The one near the tip is faint but does run all the way round the rod and seems commensurate with the tip having been rewhipped or replaced at some time. It's an agate type ring so in keeping with the stripper ring, and the tip doesn't appear to have been shortened, which is good. Perhaps the original whipping came loose or the agate lining broke?

There are no other 'ghost' whippings anywhere along the rod and the intermediate rings look original, being of the small, open bridge type, with a patina of corrosion and a good layer of age-related dust and brown dirt beneath them. So I don't think the rod has been rewhipped or re-ringed, other than the tip.

I'm wondering if the rod was a 'tackle shop own brand' type job, built on one of the many Redditch blanks of the time? It seems a nice rod though and I'll certainly give it a try with a #5 line once I've replaced the intermediate rings.

The rod was bought by a family (and fishing) friend of mine and I was with him at the time (Chatsworth Angling Show, as mentioned above). However, he found the rod a bit too much like hard work (probably due to the small rings and a modern fly line) so sold it to me for what he'd paid for it. Sadly, Alan died a few years ago (he was in his early 90s, so not a bad innings) but the rod is a nice reminder of him for me.

Last edited:

iainmortimer

As a follow up, I had a look at mine to check and as I suspected the Sharpes rod has a small keeper whipped in on top but it is a loose ring type. Given the lack of any identifiers though, I wonder if it was originally built from a kit or similar. My first ever split cane handed to me nearl;y 50 years ago was similar and built by the uncle that gifted it.

Last edited:

Latest posts