mystery tree/bush

3lbgrayling

somebody planted this tree/bush last year(nobodies admitting to it) I took a few photos tonight,it is just passed it's best. but hope someone can ID it.

It's now about 5' high.

Jim.

Whinging pom

Jim I’m struggling to pin it down beyond saying it a variety of decorative variegated Sycamore.
Acer pseudoplatanus simon Louis Freres would be my best guess
Flipping expensive plant if I’ve got it right!

3lbgrayling

Thanks for that. think you could be right..We wanted to know if it was native/invasive. which it seems to be naturalised but can be invasive.We might have to dig it up.

Jim

ohanzee

I'd say closer to Acer Pseudoplatanus Brilliantissimum..they come in different colours...

DSC_0669Brilliantissimum_100.jpg

pseudoplatanus 'Simon-louis Freres's for comparison.....

acer-pseudoplatanus-simon-louis-freres-tree-p610-5647_image.jpg

Whinging pom

Jim it’s going to be grafted onto a rootstock and not much threat, any seedlings will most likely revert. Or if they don’t they are unlikely to be very robust.
unless of course you call sycamores none native ( I think they came over with the Romans).
If you do dig it up in the dormant season, at that size it’s worth a couple of hundred quid on a nursery .😁

ohanzee

Acer Pseudoplatanus Brilliantissimum(if that) doesn't grow tall, 5m apparently, and should change colour through the season, pretty cool tree to have.

Whinging pom

“ pretty cool tree to have.”

2 questions
Have you actually seen one ?
And is there an emoji for puke 🤮 ,,, found it .
🤢 🤢 🤮 🤮
Simon Louis Freres is so much more subtle in the markings and the lower leafs usually revert to green .
Brilliantisinum is more marginated than variegated and the leafs are more sharply defined and the over all look is paler, this is a much nicer plant,
To be sure I’d reach for Hilliers guide to trees and shrubs .but I no longer have a copy of that particular Bible.
Why don’t you offer to take it for your orphanage for wayward Angiosperms?

ohanzee

“ pretty cool tree to have.”

2 questions
Have you actually seen one ?
And is there an emoji for puke 🤮 ,,, found it .
🤢 🤢 🤮 🤮
Simon Louis Freres is so much more subtle in the markings and the lower leafs usually revert to green .
Brilliantisinum is more marginated than variegated and the leafs are more sharply defined and the over all look is paler, this is a much nicer plant,
To be sure I’d reach for Hilliers guide to trees and shrubs .but I no longer have a copy of that particular Bible.
Why don’t you offer to take it for your orphanage for wayward Angiosperms?

I was not trying to upstage, apologies for that, I don't think the original is as clearly variegated as Simon louis, as per pic.

Whinging pom

It’s a tricky call, Especially on googled photos as they tend to show up the exceptional details. As Simon L F is plainer and just silvery with more rounded lobes the pics tend to show off the autumn colours etc Overall it’s quite subtle, but it’s also much more unusual and less likely.

I particularly hate brilliantisimum it gets my bristles up, and one of my pet hates.it’s more white/ cream than silver, its gaudy and too striking for me. It’s not a tonal change more a counterpoint. And worst all for a snob like me, it’s as common as muck !! It’s a maple version of Katie Price to a more subtle Kate Moss. It’s a greys fly rod to a Winston. A Lamborghini to a Maserati..it’s just .., up its self!!! And is proof more than anything that I’m on the wrong forum 😂.
Jim’s got an unusual sycamore. Whichever it is, it’s not the cultivar that’s not native to the area it’s the fact it’s a sycamore.
Sorry if I tackled with both feet I didn’t mean to go in so hard! I just hate Acer p brilliantisimum.

h49

somebody planted this tree/bush last year(nobodies admitting to it) I took a few photos tonight,it is just passed it's best. but hope someone can ID it.

It's now about 5' high.

Jim.
Sorry can't help with identifying this plant, I also have one I would like to ask opinions on, just can't seem to upload pictures? Tried drag and drop etc., clicked on images but doesn't bring up mine to select from? Just a ULR box. Any help appreciated.

williegunn

Sorry can't help with identifying this plant, I also have one I would like to ask opinions on, just can't seem to upload pictures? Tried drag and drop etc., clicked on images but doesn't bring up mine to select from? Just a ULR box. Any help appreciated.
From the row of icons at the top of the post, choose the one four in from the right, insert image. A box appears, drop image (or click here)

h49

From the row of icons at the top of the post, choose the one four in from the right, insert image. A box appears, drop image (or click here)
The box appears, have been doing that over again, but it just gives ULR and won't let me drop the image from my desk top onto the box?

ohanzee

The box appears, have been doing that over again, but it just gives ULR and won't let me drop the image from my desk top onto the box?

You can just drag and drop from your desktop into the post.

h49

You can just drag and drop from your desktop into the post.
Tried that over and over, but thank you for helping, will get there in the end (hopefully)

Whinging pom

Hope fully before autumn 😁 it’s easier to identify with leafs !
( I’m terrible with posting photos too).

Reactions: h49

ohanzee

Tried that over and over, but thank you for helping, will get there in the end (hopefully)

Possibly different with an ipad or whatever but desktop pics drag straight into posts, just hit 'reply', minimise the screen so you can see the pic on the desktop, and drag over into the post where it says 'write your reply', not the URL box, you don't need to click on image or anything.

Latest posts