mystery tree/bush

h49

I've been at it again .......driving myself mad, tried photobucket, old account had to delete a lot of files for it to allow me to upload, then I just can't seem to get it to show IMG to copy to forum. I really will have to give up. So grateful for the patience and help.
(Tried making pic smaller.......now can't try drag and drop because when I restore this page down adverts block where I need to drop)

ohanzee

You just minimise the page? you can drop it into the box by clicking the image icon above or just straight into the post, either does the same thing, converts itself.

Rhithrogena

A different tack. I always use the 'Attach Files' box under the reply box. Click this and choices of where to look for the file come up. Click the one where your picture is and select. They do have to be resized if they are too big.....

ohanzee

Don't know it and annoyingly it didn't crop and resize so this might be just a bit of the original.....

jjyff.jpg

I thought Valerian was much smaller.

Whinging pom

The green stems are current years growth so it very vigorous I guess. There seems to be some white flowers and a closer picture of them or seed heads would be the key.I’m wondering if it’s sucker growth off a tree that’s come down, just having large pinate leaves is not enough for me . Can you tell us a bit more about it . How you’ve come across it . How long have you seen it there . Do you know if anything’s been cut down there. The flowers kind of look elder but the leafs look too big , mind you that would account for the vigour and the stem shape ..

h49

Don't think it's an elder, we have them on our garden and the birds, starlings mainly, really go for the berries, but with this, the birds never touch the berries.. It has been there around 3 years on some land bordering ours. Doesn't appear to be anything similar in that area. Will further examine the roots tomorrow and takes photos of the berries when they appear. It has spread so much has totally engulfed a 10x6 shed (not ours lol) Thank yo everyone taking an interest and helping me with the photo upload problems.

Whinging pom

American elder. Everything's bigger there.
That would account for the amount of lobes ( leaflets) as sambucus nigra usually only had 7 , the 2 Tri lobes coming off base of main leaf stalk is throwing me.
i wonder if they are juvenile leaves… some trees have much larger juvenile leaves to establish growth and then revert to adult further up stem . I don’t know S. Canadensis well enough to know if it does that.
If it’s suckering up with that much vigour there’s some root under it !
I’ve sent to an assistant that is pretty handy on plant rec. he says S . Candenis too

Latest posts