mystery tree/bush

ohanzee

As long as it produces wine it's existence is justified in my book.

Reactions: h49

h49

View attachment 42176The latest view forwarded from h49 . It’s a thug !
We have checked today, there is no centre trunk coming from the ground, just big shoots coming through cracks in concrete. These shoots are green and smooth, no rough bark as is seen on an elderberry. They have travelled along cracks and then into soil around the shed. To the top flowers the plant is now at least 8ft high.

h49

Well done getting the picture up(y)
Owned a pc for 15 years and have never struggled as much just to post a picture.....good job we're on a forum with kind and helpful members :):) ......Jean (for H)

ohanzee

We have checked today, there is no centre trunk coming from the ground, just big shoots coming through cracks in concrete. These shoots are green and smooth, no rough bark as is seen on an elderberry. They have travelled along cracks and then into soil around the shed. To the top flowers the plant is now at least 8ft high.

I think they send out suckers, is there not a tree nearby?

h49

I think they send out suckers, is there not a tree nearby?
Another similar? No just this one, started small last year. ....spread quite a bit but this year rapidly.....lots of the shoots come out of gaps in old concrete.

Whinging pom

It is not conclusive which species it is without the flowers, but which ever one you have is spreading by underground rhizomes.
I suspect that somebody in the near distant past has cut that down hiding it from view and you seen the first bit of regeneration with a small growth putting energy back into the rhizomes. this year it’s exploded with the rain and good growing conditions, with it coming up through the paving and cracks in the concrete you’re not going to be taking this up. Im afraid poisoning is the only way you can get rid of it if that’s what you want to do. however if you’re not going to do that it will spread and the only other way to deal with it is to dig in a root barrier around it which is a lot of work.
roundup is okay and if you can get the bioactive even better personally I would go for SPK brushwood killer.
what you need to keep in mind though is that you need the poison to get all the way through the plant right down to the rhizomes and the problem with putting weedkiller on is that it will often just kill the top of the plant that you’ve sprayed before it can get through the system.
I’ve had problems with clients in the past who have use weedkillers and mistakenly thought the by upping the the dose they would do a more effective kill, it works against you.
the best way to do it is to make the dilution weaker than the manufacturers recommended amount and sprayed on with the aim to weaken the plant then maybe a month later to reapply once you’ve killed the tops you will get some regrowth next year and you will need to spray again maybe once or twice. August is the best month for spraying evasive perennials

ohanzee

I'm anti poison but it comes at a very time consuming and energy sapping cost, does work but needs done twice over two years and if you are over 25 it involves a mini digger, I call this an opportunity to re landscape :)

It is satisfying digging up roots though, almost as satisfying as unblocking underground drains.

h49

Thank you to all who posted and helped. I will perhaps add pictures of the berries when they appear, for further verification.....as I said, the birds didn't seem to touch them last year, so maybe they are poisonous. This bush is an issue that needs addressing, but as is obvious from the photos our new neighbours who moved in nearly a year ago, are not that much into gardening:rolleyes: Judging by the way it spreads underground, eventually it could come under the boundary fence and up somewhere on our side.:oops:

Paul_B

Thank you to all who posted and helped. I will perhaps add pictures of the berries when they appear, for further verification.....as I said, the birds didn't seem to touch them last year, so maybe they are poisonous. This bush is an issue that needs addressing, but as is obvious from the photos our new neighbours who moved in nearly a year ago, are not that much into gardening:rolleyes: Judging by the way it spreads underground, eventually it could come under the boundary fence and up somewhere on our side.:oops:

Theres not much else that'll get rid of ground elder better than glyphosate (roundup. muster atc)