Name that sedge...

Cap'n Fishy

Trossachs10Sep21_3462.jpg

Whinging pom

Cinnamon?
Looks a bit warm colour wise ( have you shot it under tunstens?) Markings are nearly right and time of year for appearing is ok.
The genus is limnephilus there’s two species in that family get called “Cinnamon sedge” lunatus 22-16mm warm brown
And marmoratus 14-16mm Sandy brown
But both of them have a crescent mark at the back edge of wing. Your wee beastie hasn’t and it looks smooth back there?!

My guess would be Limnephilus rhombicus 16-18mm which is described as more yellow and doesn’t have the crescent shape sadly it doesn’t have a common name so we’ll call it col’s caddis! ( and means your light temps ok 👍)

Info from Guide to the adult Caddis flies Or Sedge flies by Peter Barnard and Emma Ross FSC

Cap'n Fishy

Looks a bit warm colour wise ( have you shot it under tunstens?) Markings are nearly right and time of year for appearing is ok.
The genus is limnephilus there’s two species in that family get called “Cinnamon sedge” lunatus 22-16mm warm brown
And marmoratus 14-16mm Sandy brown
But both of them have a crescent mark at the back edge of wing. Your wee beastie hasn’t and it looks smooth back there?!

My guess would be Limnephilus rhombicus 16-18mm which is described as more yellow and doesn’t have the crescent shape sadly it doesn’t have a common name so we’ll call it col’s caddis! ( and means your light temps ok 👍)

Info from Guide to the adult Caddis flies Or Sedge flies by Peter Barnard and Emma Ross FSC

It was taken in situ, in the boat, so natural light. It was sitting on the gunwale of a Sweeney 'Lomond' boat. I did not change the white balance from auto, which gave 6300 K. It was cloudy at the time, so that seems a reasonable estimate. Jimmy described it as 'dark ginger'.

Col

Whinging pom

It was taken in situ, in the boat, so natural light. It was sitting on the gunwale of a Sweeney 'Lomond' boat. I did not change the white balance from auto, which gave 6300 K. It was cloudy at the time, so that seems a reasonable estimate. Jimmy described it as 'dark ginger'.

Col
I’m not 100% about Limnephilus rhombicus either I don’t think you’d call it ginger. AND although the details dropped with the DOF( not a criticism Col😁) the back of the tail is the wrong shape for limnephilus and Stenophylax. ….though that could be the camera angle ?!
There’s one with the wing shape and right markings potamophylax 15-21mm late summer to autumn but the colours in the illustration are really washed out and there’s a blue cast like taken between the showers. Also if it’s quite long lived they tend to go pale , yours could be fresh and vibrant the book one could be on its last legs ! So .. could be worth exploring. Though the definitive pale cells near the edge of the wing are lost with the lack of depth.
Sorry I can’t get you any closer than those two guesses to explore.

For a few years I use to catch adult caddis and send them to a national data base run by Stuart Crofts . If it’s any consolation he would not identify by the wings and markings . The only guaranteed identification is through a stereo microscope looking at their genitals! He had some amazing books full of hand drawn illustrations of hundreds and hundreds caddis ‘bits’.
I don’t think they made any best seller list!

I’m copying names from the booklet so my spelling could be wrong.

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

... the details dropped with the DOF( not a criticism Col😁)

No bother. I'm in a rocking boat, with hand-held camera, and a subject that is running about. I need to use a decent shutter speed (1/320 sec here), which necessitates a wide aperture (f3.2 here). And at 100 mm focal length, and the camera a few inches from the subject, that guarantees a wafer-thin depth of field. Knowing I will get that, I do what every photographer does and focus on the eye nearest the camera...

FalkirkChristmas2018_9681.jpg

Usually gets good results, except, perhaps, when you are trying to identify the species from the photograph! 🤭

Whinging pom

Oh well it made a pleasant distraction from polishing off the days work , and it’s a lovely picture .. next time try and get the back of the tail or even better ….a good clear shot of it’s wedding tackle !!