Name that stillwater!

Cap'n Fishy

Aye, those Kielder boats were terrible things. Quite a nice water to fish - lots of bays and features. I remember I caught a brownie of 1 lb 2 oz in that comp and it had a whole vole in its stomach!

Col

easker1

only ever fished the Burns in that area, my mates Daughter has a chalet there, but I have stayed in the Youth hostel,my pal used to teach Yachting to the paraplegics there, easker1

Cap'n Fishy

only ever fished the Burns in that area, my mates Daughter has a chalet there, but I have stayed in the Youth hostel,my pal used to teach Yachting to the paraplegics there, easker1

The other lasting memory I have is of the midges. They make big play of how bad the Scottish midges are. Well, the Kielder forest ones were every bit as bad!

Col

easker1

those boats were designed from the Coastal beach boats super for coming on to a beach, I worked a summer on one , when the engine ( lister 40hp diesel) packed in we had Oars but trying to row in a straight line was almost impossible, the oars were 12ft long , and because the Engine was where the Rowing position was , but luckily some one saw our problem and gave us a tow we were about 4 mile off shore by then , happy Days, easker1

Cap'n Fishy

those boats were designed from the Coastal beach boats super for coming on to a beach, I worked a summer on one , when the engine ( lister 40hp diesel) packed in we had Oars but trying to row in a straight line was almost impossible, the oars were 12ft long , and because the Engine was where the Rowing position was , but luckily some one saw our problem and gave us a tow we were about 4 mile off shore by then , happy Days, easker1

When Rutland first opened, the boats had diesel inboards. I thought they were really good. I don't know if it was a maintenance issue or pollution or what caused them to be scrapped. They weren't 40 HP, that's for sure. Maybe divide that by 10...

Col

suzuki15hp

Aye a wonderful part of the world too....Lough Corrib,out from Cornamona..😉
Aye Jimmy, a wonderful place, and I'm completely in love with it.
I have my boat on Doorus at Cornamona, 20 minutes from the house, and I go out many an afternoon or the occasional full day.
And on the flat calm days with a bit of sun, the wife and I go out on the lake for a picnic.
What a way to spend your retirement. (y)

Wee Jimmy

Aye Jimmy, a wonderful place, and I'm completely in love with it.
I have my boat on Doorus at Cornamona, 20 minutes from the house, and I go out many an afternoon or the occasional full day.
And on the flat calm days with a bit of sun, the wife and I go out on the lake for a picnic.
What a way to spend your retirement. (y)
My idea of paradise Bill.....enjoy...😉

Rhithrogena

What a great thread Cap'n Fishy! Some great photography and images of real bucket-list places.
Have a go at this one.....
Rich
IMG_20200609_202851408~2-01.jpeg

LukeNZ

Nope - not even sure what that is?!
We have man made ones all over the place like that near pine forests. So if the forest catches fire, helicopters can drop their monsoon buckets in, pick up water and quickly drop the water in the fire zone. They look just like that, but with many more 1000’s of hectares of pine trees around them.

Rhithrogena

We have man made ones all over the place like that near pine forests. So if the forest catches fire, helicopters can drop their monsoon buckets in, pick up water and quickly drop the water in the fire zone. They look just like that, but with many more 1000’s of hectares of pine trees around them.
Ahh, this one IS man-made but not used for that 😉

LukeNZ

Ahh, this one IS man-made but not used for that 😉
...yeah, not enough trees.

Is it an old gold mining tailing that has filled up with water? We have a lot of those too down the west coast of the South Island. Trout are notoriously difficult to catch in those, despite there being lots visible - they reject everything.

Rhithrogena

...yeah, not enough trees.

Is it an old gold mining tailing that has filled up with water? We have a lot of those too down the west coast of the South Island. Trout are notoriously difficult to catch in those, despite there being lots visible - they reject everything.
Nope