Nasty Critters

kevind62

Trust Member
If anyone decides to take a trip to the good ol' USA and are close to the gulf coast give me a shout. You can help me try to eradicate these destructive creatures from our farm. I have all the weapons and ammunition needed. :D
IMG_0006.JPG

Vermontdrifter

Got some decent recipes for boar if you want. I was actually just invited to a boar hunt in Germany but turned it down due to the hassles of renewing my German licence. Good luck with keeping the numbers down, I’ve seen studies that say you have to eliminate 70% of the population annually to keep the population stable!

Last edited:

Mies

Jaysus! What are you complaining about. All that nice organic pork on your doorstep ;)

Only went wild boar hunting once in Bulgaria. Expensive.

kevind62

Trust Member
Jaysus! What are you complaining about. All that nice organic pork on your doorstep ;)

Only went wild boar hunting once in Bulgaria. Expensive.
Come here and hunt for free with the exception of your license. Non-resident 10 day and 3 day permits are cheap. You are not required a big game license for wild and feral hogs. Only a small game license is required. I'm not sure what the regulation on a Hunter's Safety Certification is for those outside to the US. It is normally only required for those born after August 1, 1977. I think this is across the board. I will supply all transportation to and from the field, weapons, and ammunition needed. Your gun will be equipped with a fully loaded 30 round magazine with a back-up, holographic sight, and laser. My only rules and requirements are, when shooting at large groups of hogs you are not to cease firing except to reload and you run out of bullets or all the hogs are dead. Whichever comes first. ;)
  • Small Game (All species - excluding deer and/or turkey)
    • 10-Day Trip - $63.85
    • 3-Day Trip- $46.30

kevind62

Trust Member
Got some decent recipes for boar if you want. I was actually just invited to a boar hunt in Germany but turned it down due to the hassles of renewing my German licence. Good luck with keeping the numbers down, I’ve seen studies that say you have to eliminate 70% of the population annually to keep the population stable!
Unfortunately, not for us. The terrain where the majority of the hogs are is the most ideal for hogs you could possibly imagine. The normal survival rate for wild hog litters in the southern US is around 35%. Ours is 95%. Predators cannot get to the litters due to the terrain when they are at their most vulnerable (<12 weeks old). Once they reach this age the sow brings the litter back to the group. With groups averaging anywhere from 20 - 50 hogs, predators don't even attempt to approach them. And the solitary boars are pretty much King of the Jungle here. Every critter in the woods fears them. When one enters a field everything else in it vacates. Sows will have minimum 2 litters per year averaging 8 - 12 piglets per litter. Depending on her cycle a sow could possibly have 3 litters in a single calendar year. A sow can cycle back in to heat in as little as two weeks of giving birth to a litter.

Vermontdrifter

What gets to me is that despite the reports on the damages they cause you still have idiots trucking them to spots without hogs and releasing them! Don’t they realise the damage these things do to the environment? Also ends up destroying the deer hunting as they will scarf up any fauns they find. Wasn’t it down in Texas that a woman was killed by boars as she was going to work?

Mies

Come here and hunt for free with the exception of your license. Non-resident 10 day and 3 day permits are cheap. You are not required a big game license for wild and feral hogs. Only a small game license is required. I'm not sure what the regulation on a Hunter's Safety Certification is for those outside to the US. It is normally only required for those born after August 1, 1977. I think this is across the board. I will supply all transportation to and from the field, weapons, and ammunition needed. Your gun will be equipped with a fully loaded 30 round magazine with a back-up, holographic sight, and laser. My only rules and requirements are, when shooting at large groups of hogs you are not to cease firing except to reload and you run out of bullets or all the hogs are dead. Whichever comes first. ;)
  • Small Game (All species - excluding deer and/or turkey)
    • 10-Day Trip - $63.85
    • 3-Day Trip- $46.30
Oh how I wish 😞

kevind62

Trust Member
What gets to me is that despite the reports on the damages they cause you still have idiots trucking them to spots without hogs and releasing them! Don’t they realise the damage these things do to the environment? Also ends up destroying the deer hunting as they will scarf up any fauns they find. Wasn’t it down in Texas that a woman was killed by boars as she was going to work?
Yes they do know the damage. The problem is they don't own the land and they don't care. And they transplant them illegally on public hunting lands so they can go back and hunt them. They're only interested in the hogs. They don't care to hunt deer or turkey. Landowners don't transplant them on their land or any other. It is a felony to transport and transplant any live species of wild game without a special permit. There are no such permits for wild pigs. The only special permits issued for wild pigs is for eradication of the species. You have to be a landowner to obtain a special permit to hunt these with no holds barred. We have such a permit. We can get rid of them in any manner we deem necessary. This includes the use of explosives. Which is by far my favorite method.

kevind62

Trust Member
Have you tried trapping them, some good educational videos on YouTube
Cheers
Yes we have. We have another problem though. Poachers. For this method in your video it requires a cellular capable game camera, which we have, and a wifi solenoid for the doors, which we also used. The camera will send a photo to your cell phone as soon as it takes it. You can wait to trip the doors when you have a sufficient number of pigs in the trap with an app on your phone. It works great but, poachers have stolen our cameras and solar chargers in the past and taken the pigs from the traps. I really don't care if the pigs are taken as long as they are all killed, but I hate trespassers regardless. I have people who will take all of the pigs I can shoot or trap just a phone call away. I gladly give them to anyone who asks. There is no need to trespass and poach our land. We have been able to curb this a bit. Now all of our cellular game cameras have GPS Geotagging. The camera has a an IP address and SIM card. I just give these to the manufacturer and they can locate our cameras anywhere in the world. We have caught a few thieves recently with this. It has slowed them down somewhat. But, with all thieves and poachers, they will learn to get around this. I'm looking for the next wave to just destroy the cameras if they know we can track them. The other saving grace is the cameras now have true infrared technology. There is no light illumination required for the flash in night vision mode. The night hunters can't see them anymore and we can place them high in the trees and get their photos instantaneously sent to our phones and call the authorities while they're still on our property.

spudgun

Yes we have. We have another problem though. Poachers. For this method in your video it requires a cellular capable game camera, which we have, and a wifi solenoid for the doors, which we also used. The camera will send a photo to your cell phone as soon as it takes it. You can wait to trip the doors when you have a sufficient number of pigs in the trap with an app on your phone. It works great but, poachers have stolen our cameras and solar chargers in the past and taken the pigs from the traps. I really don't care if the pigs are taken as long as they are all killed, but I hate trespassers regardless. I have people who will take all of the pigs I can shoot or trap just a phone call away. I gladly give them to anyone who asks. There is no need to trespass and poach our land. We have been able to curb this a bit. Now all of our cellular game cameras have GPS Geotagging. The camera has a an IP address and SIM card. I just give these to the manufacturer and they can locate our cameras anywhere in the world. We have caught a few thieves recently with this. It has slowed them down somewhat. But, with all thieves and poachers, they will learn to get around this. I'm looking for the next wave to just destroy the cameras if they know we can track them. The other saving grace is the cameras now have true infrared technology. There is no light illumination required for the flash in night vision mode. The night hunters can't see them anymore and we can place them high in the trees and get their photos instantaneously sent to our phones and call the authorities while they're still on our property.
I've had my fair share of poachers over the years so I know where you're coming from. I'd give anything for some hog shooting, but financially it's not possible for me. If someone had the same problem here in the UK they'd make some good money selling the shooting and carcass, good luck. Cheers

Latest posts