Nautilus Scott Radian Reel Fit.

South2 West8

Hi JCP , I’ve had exactly the same issue on that rod recently, but with a Lamson reel. What I did which works was unscrew the seat it’s full extents and put the reel foot in the screw part of the seat. Screwing the reel seat fixing should direct the upper part of the foot into the the seat.
A few firm screws of the reel seat fixing gets the reel foot in there !

icejohn

I know it's an expensive reel. However I too had a similar reel that wouldn't fit my various rod handles. Struggled on a few years with it because it was expensive.

The fix was to dremel the darn heck out of it to reshape the foot to be thinner, And cut 3 mm off the front and back of foot.

Then wished I had done it years ago.

JayP

I'd be speaking to Scott as Nautilus reels conform to AAFTA reel foot standard.

I have the same reel albeit a 3/4 and have had no issue across many rod and reel seat manufacturers

JCP

Thanks for all efforts.I was ready with Vernier Calipers and a Scott Rod of mine to go to work and all is revealed.The reel foot has been bent somehow.Reel belongs to my boat partner and I have spoken to Scott and Nautilus who were also baffled and very helpful.Local machine tool engineer will fix or Nautilus will send a replacement.Thanks again.

Best regards JP

South2 West8

Good to hear JP. They are definitely a tight fitting reel seat to begin with!
Great rod though - can I ask out of interest what line are you running on it? I've been using a Wulff TT but can't help but thinking there's one out there that will really make the rod sing

Rhithrogena

I have a CTS Quartz with a vintage reel seat on it that doesn't tighten enough for some modern reels - they can slide around. Wedging a grass stalk between reel foot and seat does the trick for me 👍

Uncas

Good to hear JP. They are definitely a tight fitting reel seat to begin with!
Great rod though - can I ask out of interest what line are you running on it? I've been using a Wulff TT but can't help but thinking there's one out there that will really make the rod sing
South,
If you have a 9' x 5 Radian, the line the makes it sing is the S/A MPX WF- 5 line which is a five & half size.
Also it works very well with a Cortland 444 DT-5 peach line.

South2 West8

thanks Uncas, I have the 5 weight as well and do a rio gold on that - its good but needs quite a bit of line out to load the rod . Its a great rod, but not the most forgiving - when you mess up your stroke it lets you know! Will give the SAs a go

Latest posts