Fly Fishing Forum banner

Need a hand identifying a bird you have seen?

16K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  Buttface 
#1 ·
This really handly little tool from the RSPB lets you enter what you remember about the bird like size, colours, location and comes up with its best suggestions to help you narrow it down.

The RSPB: Bird identifier

Try it! :thumbs:

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

Worked well for me in my test - had a Fieldfare in mind and it narrowed down to Fieldfare or Mistle Thrush based on my selections.

#3 ·
Would it help to I.D. the legendary Oozlum Bird :D:D:D
I could have sworn I caught a glimpse of one once, & it winked at be before vanishing from view..

Oozlum bird - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rudolf
Did you notice by any chance just where it disappeared !.
Come to think I would be just a little alarmed at a bird winking at me who could carry me on its back, oh no, hang on,! that happened to me at Orrell RU Club many years ago when a bird carried me out blind drunk and took me to see her nest/bush,sorry :whistle::eek:mg:

#22 ·
Right lads, need your help, got two birds, I assume a cock and a hen.
Sparrow size and features, light brown, male has a large white ring around its neck, female similar but less pronounced white ring.
Very smart, I thought Reed Bunting at first, but I can’t find a picture in any of my books that match.
I’ve tried three times to get a photo, but no joy.
S.

#23 · (Edited)
Right lads, need your help, got two birds, I assume a cock and a hen.
Sparrow size and features, light brown, male has a large white ring around its neck, female similar but less pronounced white ring.
Very smart, I thought Reed Bunting at first, but I can't find a picture in any of my books that match.
I've tried three times to get a photo, but no joy.
S.
Female Ring Ousel?......

Or....

Whitethroat?

Reed Bunting

#30 ·
With a narrower band on the neck. :thumbs:
Wouldn't have thought Reed Buntings would be common to a regular back garden?
S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.