Fly Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
i need a hand to identify a bird i have seen, this didn't work at all so i'll throw it open to the forum, 5'6'' brunette, late 30's, gets off the train at Glasgow central.
Hi my name is Bernard and i'm blond now. I am saving up for the operation but open to offers in the mean time. Are you the short fat bloke with the twitch?

:D

Right lads, need your help, got two birds, I assume a cock and a hen.
Sparrow size and features, light brown, male has a large white ring around its neck, female similar but less pronounced white ring.
Very smart, I thought Reed Bunting at first, but I can’t find a picture in any of my books that match.
I’ve tried three times to get a photo, but no joy.
S.

Sparrow size and features, light brown, male has a large white ring around its neck, female similar but less pronounced white ring.
Very smart, I thought Reed Bunting at first, but I can't find a picture in any of my books that match.
I've tried three times to get a photo, but no joy.
S.
Female Ring Ousel?......

Or....

Whitethroat?

Reed Bunting

The nearest is the Bunting but the white ring is wider and whiter.
S.

Very smart, I thought Reed Bunting at first, but I can't find a picture in any of my books that match.
I've tried three times to get a photo, but no joy.
S.
Tree sparrow?

Col

Yes, male, the female is the same but plain brownish.
With a narrower band on the neck. :thumbs:
Wouldn't have thought Reed Buntings would be common to a regular back garden?
S.

With a narrower band on the neck. :thumbs:
Wouldn't have thought Reed Buntings would be common to a regular back garden?
S.
No idea, never seen one, I think I'm right in saying that buntings are quite specific to their habitat, you will never see a snow bunting in your life but if you sit down at the top of ben Nevis they near eat out your hand, I'd imagine reed buntings don't venture much out of reeds, maybe arrivals or the reeds are not up yet for them.

Has anyone tried the Merlin Bird ID software from The Cornell Lab (2,000+ species).
Will identify from photo or from information supplied (rather limited in my view).
Free to download ...

Rock Pipits are said to have 'dark' legs.
It may be the light, but the legs on this bird appear to be light/pink.
When/where was the picture taken?
Taken last week, high Pennines, Lancs/Yorks border. Other pics suggest legs are pinkish.
Bird Beak Grey Feather Songbird

Attachments

meadow pipit, white outer tail feathers, rock pipit are grey. legs also point to meadow pipit. Note the long spur, shorter in the rock pipit.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.