Nenagh River, Tipperary

Spider

Am hoping to get a few days on this river this season and have been out to have a quick peep but dont know the good spots and havent wet a line there yet etc.

Any Irish ( or other ) guys on the site who know this river and can point me towards the good spots etc?

I have O Reilly excellent book on Irish rivers but as the bridges he mentions are unnamed, its gets confusing!

Thanks....

tips

The Nenagh River holds mainly wild and small brown trout up to 1lb, but there are some big ones too. Most of these are got in the later part of the season with they migrate from Lough Derg up the river to spawn in July, August and September. There is great sport for the fly fisherman at any time, if you don't mind catching the small ones. Get a permit at the Sportsman's Dream Shop in Pearse Street, Nenagh. The size limit is 10 inches, but catch and release is strongly encouraged. There are great riffles for fly fishers down stream of Ballyartella Bridge and a long and deep slow running flat on the upstream section of the bridge which is also good in the late evening for dry fly enthusiasts. Further up steam at Tyone bridge you can park at the Mill building and fish upsteam and downstream for mainly small fish. Late evening is best in the summer and autumn months with sedges or blue winged olives.New Zealand system is also effective.

Dingbat

Upstream of Annaghbeg bridge and the Olatrim river is recomended.

Did you ever try the parts of the Shannon I mailed you?

I've been having really shitty results here for the last week, a couple of 4" dace being all I have to show for my efforts. (except for a beautiful 12" and a 10" that took 20 minutes to revive after a 5 second hook extraction, did I squeeze it too hard, I took yesterday).

I went up the Newport river, north of that great metropolis, I'm not a little Irelander but surely some of the most beautiful rivers around. The kind of place Moyston would cycle off to with his collapsable 6' and return with a couple of gigs of parr pictures - me, not a bloody thing .. I despair

Endrick

Fished it several times between Nenagh and Lough Derg. The fishing is much much better after dark, believe it or not fishing with small dries.

Dingbat

Well here I am trying to take a short cut, through the river rather than through the bushes - and I take a dip, a pretty serious one, soaked the iPhone with which I had taken copious quantities of pictures of Gods own river and, worst of all, my map of the beats and pools, and the car keys - but German engineering being what it is (Swedish engineering is not so forgiving), no probs.

Anyway here I am clutching at weed that is ready to give way any second (it did and I got a second dunking) waders to the brim with water and I hear the tell tale sound of a rise this is the first I have seen in several weeks and I know somebody else's has been fishing this pretty impenetrable spot (a single footprint in the mud) so I turn to get a better look (the weed gives way at this point and I just manage to grip a rock outcrop with one boot and a branch with a hand) and joy upon joy, a second rise about four yards in front of the first! two fish - my cup brimith over - guess I know where I'll be spending tomorrow evening.

Dingbat

Went on the hunt for those two beasts but the only way I could get near them was too close - however warming up with a few casts and all hell breaks loose - a fine fat beast of at least 14" - I lost it (no net) at the last moments and I'm not sure it wasn't foul hooked - after the second jump, at least 2 yards in the air, it looked a bit taily and I ended up dragging it backwards in the flow, but hell - I didn't think beasts like that were in the water. Rod came onto an electric fence whilst I was crawling under it and I got thrown a couple of feet so I guess nature got her dues in the end.

Dingbat

Eventually made it onto the nenagh river - 20€ license as the stretch is owned by the Ormond Anglers Association, deep, reasonably fast flowing and lots of fish, need to be quick on the draw because these aren't dumb ones. Not a particularly interesting river by any means I must add - at least the stretch from Annaghbeg bridge upstream, and chest waders are a must but what the heck.

deni20000

You were in the wrong place - upstream of Annabeg is not suitable for fly fishing - its only used by the worm fishers as its slow deep water and overgrown. Go in at Clarianna bridge or Ballyartella bridge - theres good fly fishing from about a mile below Clarianna to a mile above Ballyartella - stay on the left bank. Most of the fishing is done between 8 pm and midnight - BWOs and then sedges. The flats at Ballyartella is good for wet or dry sedges from dusk onwards but its well fished and not worth fishing during the day except with worms- waders not needed.
BTW its a very attractive river but like I said, you were in the wrong place.

Spider

Its a good river, i agree. Have had some quiet afternoons but plenty of fish all day on other occasions too. I havent tried the flats upstream of ballyartella but some good fish there. The river has suffered from sewage leakage though as late as last september :(

chub1

Not been over there for a good few years and have not fished that river. For what it's worth take a look at the Mulcair, not that much further down the Shannon. We got a ticket for peanuts, salmon and trout. Lovely little river.