Net question

olive_dabbler

Iain

I do most of my guiding on the chalkstreams and the trout tend to be fairly big. Also, many of the clients are not that experienced so a larger net enables me to complete a netting job more effectively. It doesn't do to lose one at the net rim!

I half expected it was the small trout I catch! Makes sense. I've had the McLean for so long that using it is second nature (and it's as robust as hell) - However, I obviously need to fish chalkstreams with larger trout more often, this bucket list is getting really long.

taffy1

It's all about tools for jobs. If you fish a spate river here you can expect there to be either some boisterous sea trout along with some fairly decent sized salmon, with some fish-playing skill & a decent amount of luck, you may subdue the fish but a small pan net isn't a suitable piece of apperatus when you may be wading waist-deep. Why risk losing pehaps the fish of a lifetime being under-gunned so to speak?

haggstock

Leeda Magnetic Scoop Net | GO Outdoors dirt cheap, very light (which is an very under-valued thing) and allows you to skim insects from the surface to see what's hatching.

If you have a ring on the back of your jacket/sling bag/rucksack and you're right handed then... fit your magnet off centre to the left on the front of the hoop (not the handle) then when you reach behind you with your left hand the handle will fall easily to hand as it will hang slightly to the left. Hang it with the opening of the hoop facing backwards and the net to your back, then as you swing it out and to the front it will be open ready to use. The elastic lanyard from the handle to the ring is only to avoid you losing your net if dropped in the current. When handling the net it will pass from the ring on your back under your left arm and down to your wrist.

The Leeda net is indeed a nice bit of kit . As you say incredibly light. The handle comes with a pull off magnet . I have one in my “ loan to a mate kit “

I found it in the Wharfe .

The previous owner of mine must have had the magnet fastened to their jacket and not joined it to the handle ......

Rod44

Great stuff , got an awfull lot to consider now ! Net size a real dilemma for me on my river im now thinking , as i heard of a 6lb brown trout the other day , and as mentioned a sea trout is not impossible around here even if not targetting them . Not sure how big a fish could be fit into a scoop size net in an emergency , thats assuming i was lucky enough to get it to the net .

JohnH

Not boasting but - I've landed river browns to 4-8 for myself in my Snowbee 3 in 1 net, and I once landed a lake fish of nearly 6lb in it for another angler. As noted upthread, don't sell yourself short when it comes to landing net size.

johnnymunro

A good cheap option, for a newbie river fisher like me too.
Thanks for the advice ;)

However, just checked on their website and there is only about 5 stores in the U.k. that have stock, and i believe you can only reserve and not have it sent to your local branch. Hey ho :eek:mg:

Last edited:

BobP

It all comes down to horses for courses. If you fish rivers exclusively and spend the great majority of your time wading and a good fish for your river is maybe 1lb then a wooden pan net would be a reasonable option.

If it's a river where larger fish including a sea trout or two may be encountered then the sensible thing would be a larger net to accommodate the bigger fish.

If your fishing includes rivers, small stillwaters and reservoirs from both bank and the occasional boat trip then the extending net along the lines of the MaClean is sensible.

At the end of the day, why risk losing a good fish simply because the net was too small?

jaybeegee

A good cheap option, for a newbie river fisher like me too.
Thanks for the advice ;)

However, just checked on their website and there is only about 5 stores in the U.k. that have stock, and i believe you can only reserve and not have it sent to your local branch. Hey ho :eek:mg:
The Leeda net is in the Sportfish Catalogue also. You might have to pay a couple of quid more for it.
B.

pauljohno

Not been on for a while. Sold my rod making stuff. Went to New Zealand came back and now making nets.
When I go a desktop I will gets some pictures on.

Latest posts