New 3/4 wt Custom Reel

ROVER

Trade Member
Hi all

Another one completed this week, unashamedly based very much on an ARI I, this one which is a variation on a larger model I made for a few months back in silver and gold and with different porting on the spool flanges.

As usual, made from T6082 grade aluminium, fully anodised deep red and natural, captive spool retaining knob, clicker drag, adjustable canted reel foot, faux suede drawstring pouch, etc, all other parts stainless steel, delrin and PTFE, and engraved with my 'GSR' makers' mark.

As ever, comments/recommendations/criticisms or whatever welcome.....

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
8.jpg

benisa

Nice home made reel (y)

would think you could get some up takes on it

Uncas

A very nice reel rover,
If you ever decide to make a Bogdon copy I am sure you would have a lot of interest.
Especially me.

Gordon Ottershaw

Banned
Banned
I have the original reel, its superb and I enjoy using it.
It's obvious to me you have talent, skills.
So why not come up with your own ideas and stop copying Ari Hart? He went his own way, why don't you? It would be great to see a reel of your own making.
Ok, now I will put on my tin hat and retire to the bunker and await the bombardment.

Mrtrout

I have the original reel, its superb and I enjoy using it.
It's obvious to me you have talent, skills.
So why not come up with your own ideas and stop copying Ari Hart? He went his own way, why don't you? It would be great to see a reel of your own making.
Ok, now I will put on my tin hat and retire to the bunker and await the bombardment.
he has already made reels of his own design, but you weren’t a member at the time.
S.

ROVER

Trade Member
Everything is a variation on a theme, but when I'm asked to replicate a reel as near as damn it I wouldnt be doing so if it didn't look the same.

At the end of the day a fly reel is based on a spool and a cage, not much more, so, with all the variations and models that have been produced over the years trying to come up with something notably different is nigh on impossible, so why not home in on a style you like as use that as a base.

If I could come up with a concept that hasn't been done before like Ari did, then my reels would be displayed in museums too!

Gordon Ottershaw

Banned
Banned
Everything is a variation on a theme, but when I'm asked to replicate a reel as near as damn it I wouldnt be doing so if it didn't look the same.

At the end of the day a fly reel is based on a spool and a cage, not much more, so, with all the variations and models that have been produced over the years trying to come up with something notably different is nigh on impossible, so why not home in on a style you like as use that as a base.

If I could come up with a concept that hasn't been done before like Ari did, then my reels would be displayed in museums too!
But yours isn't a variation of a theme, your just replicating an Ari I.....ok you've changed a few colours and symbols......but your doing nothing the Chinese aren't doing?
I just think whats the point.....buy an Ari Hart.

Mrtrout

But yours isn't a variation of a theme, your just replicating an Ari I.....ok you've changed a few colours and symbols......but your doing nothing the Chinese aren't doing?
I just think whats the point.....buy an Ari Hart.
I had a load of Aris until two years ago, lovely reels, but the one Graham made for me is in my opinion just as nice, but a lot more reasonable.
its a one off as well, as I designed the porting differently.
S.

Gordon Ottershaw

Banned
Banned
I had a load of Aris until two years ago, lovely reels, but the one Graham made for me is in my opinion just as nice, but a lot more reasonable.
its a one off as well, as I designed the porting differently.
S.
But why would you sell "a load of Ari's" as you put it.....then get someone to make you a reel......just like what you sold? Whats the point in that?

Mrtrout

I collected them and enjoyed tracking down what I wanted, all part of the fun, but I never ever fished with them, when you’re paying upwards of £500 and a lot more the last thing you want to do is scratch them.
The minute you do you’re reel loses a lot in value, collectors want them mint.
i have no one to leave them to in my family, and I’m not a spring chicken anymore, also in the last few years I’ve seen the prices remain pretty static, so I sold them all to one dealer and did very nicely thank you very much.
Now I can buy one that’s imitating an Ari11 for perhaps a third of the price and use it without worrying about it.
Does that answer your question?
S.

Gordon Ottershaw

Banned
Banned
I collected them and enjoyed tracking down what I wanted, all part of the fun, but I never ever fished with them, when you’re paying upwards of £500 and a lot more the last thing you want to do is scratch them.
The minute you do you’re reel loses a lot in value, collectors want them mint.
i have no one to leave them to in my family, and I’m not a spring chicken anymore, also in the last few years I’ve seen the prices remain pretty static, so I sold them all to one dealer and did very nicely thank you very much.
Now I can buy one that’s imitating an Ari11 for perhaps a third of the price and use it without worrying about it.
Does that answer your question?
S.
I just feel sorry for you and the reels.....your not an angler your a money maker.
You remember the Stu Apte saltwater series reels? You know who has the 001 reel?

Mrtrout

I just feel sorry for you and the reels.....your not an angler your a money maker.
You remember the Stu Apte saltwater series reels? You know who has the 001 reel?
Hey, don’t feel sorry for me mate, I’ve been a mad keen fisherman for well over 60 years and enjoy every minute.
Im also quite good at investing in items, antiques, paintings, coins, and other collectibles including fishing tackle.
Have you never seen the prices LAW vices are now fetching?
About £400 initially now up to £4000, its called common sense.
You telling me you wouldn’t buy one cheap if you found one and then hopefully make two grand on it, pull the other one.
Im not a fan of the Apte reels, but it’s obvious your letting everyone know YOU own no 1, well good for you, I suppose you fish with it all the time as well.?
Bully for you.
S.