New 3/4 wt Custom Reel

2306chris

Thanks guys for the positive comments and encouragement, very much appreciated,

I would also like to apologise for allowing myself to bite and get drawn in by Mr G.O. I suggest you do the same as me and ignore him from now on and with a bit of look he might just go away 🤞

G
Don't let any of the bile spoil your satisfaction and pride in a beautiful piece or workmanship....

delray

Odd really, I want to put this p...ck on ignore but can't bring myself to do it; I'm laughing before i do the housework....... and that's unusual.
I suspect he/she has some mental issues and recent events haven't helped, but reading that a whole bunch of 'anglers' think he/she is a complete bum hole can't help.
WORTHLESS the reels aren't. They are worth what others want to pay for them, and a few on here would pay a good few quid for them. A relationship to art perhaps?

Now then G.O, why don't you F.O and leave us to chat amongst ourselves.

Tata for now.

william henry

Not wishing to labour this thread which has clearly got out of order and no doubt risks being locked here are a few of my own points :

1) Rovers reels are not fake Ari T Hart or ATH or Dutch Reels, nor are they sold as such .
2) Rovers reels share a lot of design similarities to the reels made by the above mentioned companies just like the ATH reels ( ATH reels are not Ari T Hart reels if you didn’t know that already?) had a lot of similarities to the Ari T Hart reels , they shared some of the original design DNA.
3) The original Ari T Hart reels are believed by many to have been a design evolution of the Young’s Valdex, go figure this one ?
4) Rovers reels can best be described as a bench made reels with tribute to the Ari T Hart design philosophy

sculpin_crusader

I wondered how long our newest friend would last.

Anyway, I have a baby reel, although not yet in my possession; it is being held by a friend of mine so I can sneak into the house without it being seen. He has an Ari as do I and has said the finish is comparable, I have no doubt the quality of product that Graeme is making and who cares if it's based on something else that exists, isn't that the same for most things.

kevin55

London NW; originally from South Derbyshire

Anyway, I have a baby reel, although not yet in my possession; it is being held by a friend of mine so I can sneak into the house without it being seen. He has an Ari as do I and has said the finish is comparable, I have no doubt the quality of product that Graeme is making and who cares if it's based on something else that exists, isn't that the same for most things.

Gordon Ottershaw is a character form Ripping Yarns

I'm also wondering how to sneak in a reel past my wife and like the look of Graeme's reels

blithfield2

I wasn't going to post on this thread, but now l feel compelled too......
I am an avid, addicted collector of all things made by Ari't Hart, and over the last 25-30 years have collected close over 100 items of Ari's. Reels, grease watches, tippet dispenser, reel seats, fly tying vices and tools, even paintings. You name them, I've got them 😳😳
While I'm not a fan of copies, or reproductions I must say Gordon's reel is one of the best I've ever seen. Well done sir, beautifully made.
As for Gordon Ottershaw, I believe he's Rapalaman reincarnated, It didn't take him long to get banned again. He's also tells 'porkie pies' Stu Apte doesn't own No. 1 of the series of reels, I know for sure, I got it straight from the horses mouth. I've just phoned Ari and asked him. 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Where did you say you lived again?

Don't mind me, I'm just getting my mask, striped jersey and bag marked swag together!

ROVER

Trade Member

You're a more patient man than me, I am like a kid at Christmas when anything new is on its way. Can't be that difficult to sneak a baby reel past the missus, if she's anything like mine she wouldn't have a clue what it was, what it does, and how long I have had it!
Now trying to sneak a lathe past her, that's when I had to come clean!!!

Last edited:

sculpin_crusader

You're a more patient man than me, I am like a mid a Christmas when anything new is on its way. Can't be that difficult to sneak a baby reel past the missus, if she's anything like mine she wouldn't have a clue what it was, what it does, and how long I have had it!
Now trying to sneak a lathe past her, that's when I had to come clean!!!
There’s a bit of distance between us and we haven’t met up for a fishing get together yet, so I am having to be patient, plus I’ve only been fishing once so far this season so I’m in no rush.

ROVER

Trade Member
My apologies, sir 😊👍
I love the red anodising, I've only known Ari use such a lovely, deep, rich red like that once. It was a special commission, sadly, not for me......
View attachment 27848
I'm guessing that that's just one reel photoshopped into the same picture?

When I first looked at it I thought it was the ugliest reel I'd ever saw, but after a few more looks its growing on me in a strange way :unsure:

Is that a huge drag knob on the back?

Its intriguing me since I cant work out how the drag knob(?) is retained from screwing all the way off, and how the spool is retained???

I've seen another reel maker on the interweb lately who's reels I thought were pretty original ideas, but having seen this its clear where he got the inspiration from, goes to show, when our departed 'friend' started picking holes about originality and I said it's hard to think up something new based on just a drum on a spindle and they are all a variation on a theme, this pretty much proves the rule.

Graeme

GEK79

Hi all

Another one completed this week, unashamedly based very much on an ARI I, this one which is a variation on a larger model I made for a few months back in silver and gold and with different porting on the spool flanges.

As usual, made from T6082 grade aluminium, fully anodised deep red and natural, captive spool retaining knob, clicker drag, adjustable canted reel foot, faux suede drawstring pouch, etc, all other parts stainless steel, delrin and PTFE, and engraved with my 'GSR' makers' mark.

As ever, comments/recommendations/criticisms or whatever welcome.....

View attachment 27757
View attachment 27758
View attachment 27759
View attachment 27760
View attachment 27761
View attachment 27763
View attachment 27764
Crafts manship at its finest hold your head high fella ignore gobshites and be proud..

ROVER

Trade Member
It's a pair of reels Graeme, 1 each for 2 brothers. The design is known as the 'Mousetrap' reel, although I don't know why....
The spool is held on via an O ring, and yes, it is a large drag knob on the reel that's held on internally with grub screws.
I own 2 Mousetrap reels, 1 in black/gold livery and 1 in opalised. They're beautiful examples of Ari's talents as a reel maker, especially considering he designed and built them in his 80's. He really is an extraordinary man
Id like to see some more detailed piccys if you don't mind one day......I'm not going to copy God forbid, but in just intrigued and there might be some learning I could use.

Thanks for showing

Graeme