New 3/4 wt Custom Reel

Hardrar

Beautiful as this is, I never understand why Ari never made Many reels with an exposed rim for control? IMHO a reel is totally useless as a fly reel without it. You can’t manually brake a running fish, or bat the rim to spin loose line in to get a fish “onto the reel” hand lining is an option but not viable with decent fit fish. ( try handlining Permit or Bones! Or even decent Wild Brownies or reservoir rainbows come to that)
The skills needed to design and construct this art are undoubtedly great, but without wanting to offend not a practical reel, I also never understood why Ari T Harts’ reels pretty as they were, are so valued, Ive owned most of them in most sizes and found them all pretty hopeless from a practical point of view, as well as heavy- their best attributes/ they sell well second hand!

aldot

Now I understand, hope you see that I just thought he had far more talent than reproductions.
It is also a talent to produce reproductions to that standard. Unless you can show off your own work I'll just put it down to pure jealousy

Last edited:

DutyDruid

That sir, is a thing of beauty and work of art, along with some engineering genius. Nice one.

Mrtrout

Beautiful as this is, I never understand why Ari never made Many reels with an exposed rim for control? IMHO a reel is totally useless as a fly reel without it. You can’t manually brake a running fish, or bat the rim to spin loose line in to get a fish “onto the reel” hand lining is an option but not viable with decent fit fish. ( try handlining Permit or Bones! Or even decent Wild Brownies or reservoir rainbows come to that)
The skills needed to design and construct this art are undoubtedly great, but without wanting to offend not a practical reel, I also never understood why Ari T Harts’ reels pretty as they were, are so valued, Ive owned most of them in most sizes and found them all pretty hopeless from a practical point of view, as well as heavy- their best attributes/ they sell well second hand!
I know what you’re saying but he had wonderful drags on them so palming wasn’t needed.
On the Trilogy reel it had a built in brake lever as well, bit out there I know but all Aris reels were a bit out there weren’t they?
Yes heavy but pleasing and intriguing to look at.
S.

stevel

There are many reels with no exposed rim, a lot of classic or classic styled C&P reels are full framed and additional braking is achieved by putting the fingers inside the frame and thumbing the inner rim of the spool. Think of all the steelhead or salmon fishermen who land large and powerful fish in this manner.

Hardrar

Acknowledgment on the braking through the frame , but not easy and you still can’t spin slack line in quickly by batting the rim- to get a fish on the reel.

Latest posts