New 5-Weight recommendations

mattbray85

I note you have two good #5 rods, 9ft and 10ft, plus numerous #5 lines. You want to upgrade to something a bit more refined but still a #5.
To be honest, I think you ought to take this opportunity to diversify to another line weight if you want to further your fishing capabilities.
I know #5 tackle has a wide range of applications but it will not do everything and handle all conditions.
Sorry if I have rocked your boat.
Rusty
That's a good point Rusty.

Contrary to the other chaps who suggested I shouldn't upgrade.. my Wife will not be happy with this development!

A 6/7 weight for larger waters and more sunk line work perhaps wouldn't go amis.

Rob Edmunds

Apologies I know it's not a #5 weight as requested

But its a fast actioned 10ft #3.......so will easily cope with a #4 line and a cracking rod at this price...( I personally would fish a #4 on it)

esk

My wife found some money down the back of the sofa and just bought me a present.

Its a Thomas and Thomas Avantt 10 feet five weight. I've only managed a cast outside the house but it is a thing of great beauty and feels lovely to cast.

I tried it with a small Hardy 5wt reel but it was too light. A Sage 2560 is a better fit and balances well.

I can heartily recommend it.

EUan

I fish mostly Shakespeare's and I catch fish.
If I have a blank (rarely he says) I blame the fish, the weather and the flies but not the rod.

JCP

Apologies I know it's not a #5 weight as requested

But its a fast actioned 10ft #3.......so will easily cope with a #4 line and a cracking rod at this price...( I personally would fish a #4 on it)

Looks like you missed a trick ?? This experienced poster knows a thing or two about fly rods....Looks on the money for your small ''stillwaters'' expeditions and beyond.Maybe not to infinity but in the groove...

BobP

Zip-all wrong with the Clearwaters. A lot of rod for the money. I've got 4 x 8'6" #5 rods that I use for teaching and guiding and they get a LOT of abuse by beginners who often think that the best way to land a 2lb+ rainbow is to keep on winding the reel handle until the thing comes down through the rod guides, this despite me telling them that they just don't fit!

Tangled

Zip-all wrong with the Clearwaters. A lot of rod for the money. I've got 4 x 8'6" #5 rods that I use for teaching and guiding and they get a LOT of abuse by beginners who often think that the best way to land a 2lb+ rainbow is to keep on winding the reel handle until the thing comes down through the rod guides, this despite me telling them that they just don't fit!

Don't want to upset you too much Bob but Orvis is one of the brands that Leichi say are its partners. Leichi, aka Qingdao Leichi Industrial & Trade Co, Ltd, aka, Maxcatch. I'm pretty sure they make the Clearwater for Orvis.

Their OEM site lists amongst their partners Orvis, Snowbee, Fenwick, Guideline and TFO.

Qingdao Leichi Industrial & Trade Co.,Ltd.

www.flyfishingsupplier.com

BobP

Don't want to upset you too much Bob but Orvis is one of the brands that Leichi say are its partners. Leichi, aka Qingdao Lei Chi Industrial & Trade Co, Ltd, aka, Maxcatch. I'm pretty sure they make the Clearwater for Orvis.

Their OEM site lists amongst their partners Orvis, Snowbee, Fenwick, Guideline and TFO.

www.flyfishingsupplier.com
So what isn't made in China these days?

black jungle

I have a number of rods ,mostly Sage,A mate recently bought a loop cross sx 10ft 5wt at half the rrp as the were being discontinued super rod, I bought one after casting his. Good rod worth the money.

Hardrar

Hello all.

I've been covetting a rod upgrade for a wee while.

I'm an Improving angler/caster (. Started out on an Orvis Encounter (9' 5#) outfit and have been fishing a Clearwater (10' 5#) for a while.

I'm ready to throw (a bit) more money at a rod, and hope to generate more feel, finesse and greater satisfaction as a result.

I fish mostly small still waters. And most of those are 'single fly' only venues, where I'll fish everything from dries, buzzers, nymphs up to the standard array of stillwater lures/attractors.

Looking for a mid range rod up to about £400 (ish). Sticking to 5-weight to match a growing collection of lines.

I've checked out reviews for Hardy Shadow/Demon, Guideline LPXe, Greys GR80, and Orvis Recon.

I'd like to get somewhere to try out a few, but clearly thats not on the cards right now. So I'm interested to hear opinions on those rods and whatever other 5-weights people are using for small stillwater fishing.

Cheers,

Matt
With that budget, I would get a rod built up. Adam Rawson at Rawson fishing builds some superbly finished rods under that and if you haven’t already, I’d recommend you try a modern S glass rod. They are far more sensitive than carbon, enabling you to fish fine tippets without the risks of break offs like with carbon, which tends to “lock up”
It’s far stronger and less prone to breakage and much nicer to cast and play fish with- I never use a carbon rod now and I’ve been throwing a line for 52 years now.
they cope with the lunges of big fish better and are so pleasurable to use. Sales in the USA now equal carbon- for the very good reasons above. You can bend these too to butt without breaking them and yet they still cast a long line with ease, they also handle a wider range of line weights and roll cast superbly.
1E6F6941-BD30-4582-BD9D-818EEFAE3E74.jpeg

5FC7FBB0-44DF-4023-A306-DCF51D3874C8.jpeg

C2CFAF8D-C23C-47EA-8040-7849B632620B.jpeg

7472FC31-7252-41C5-92CA-7A126ECFA784.jpeg

Vintage Badger

With that budget, I would get a rod built up. Adam Rawson at Rawson fishing builds some superbly finished rods under that and if you haven’t already, I’d recommend you try a modern S glass rod. They are far more sensitive than carbon, enabling you to fish fine tippets without the risks of break offs like with carbon, which tends to “lock up”
It’s far stronger and less prone to breakage and much nicer to cast and play fish with- I never use a carbon rod now and I’ve been throwing a line for 52 years now.
they cope with the lunges of big fish better and are so pleasurable to use. Sales in the USA now equal carbon- for the very good reasons above. You can bend these too to butt without breaking them and yet they still cast a long line with ease, they also handle a wider range of line weights and roll cast superbly.
View attachment 40140
View attachment 40141
View attachment 40142
View attachment 40143
Just out of interest, how much does a rod like that cost?

Mrtrout

Don’t overlook the new McKenzie range of rods, the NX1 series are great VFM, I love mine and if it’s good enough for Paul Procter, enough said.
S.

coire

Don’t overlook the new McKenzie range of rods, the NX1 series are great VFM, I love mine and if it’s good enough for Paul Procter, enough said.
S.
I'd second the NX1. I've been using the 10' #5 as my main loch rod since last season and I'm very pleased with it. Marketed as a river rod but it's been great on the lochs, bank and boat and fishing with dries and wets.

Latest posts